• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Mid-range with flight of a gator, feel of a harp

glow gator is slightly different than other gators, from what I've experienced. great workhorse blunt instrument disc.....

Its the last Innova disc in my bag at the moment. There are a few dx and KC Rocs that come and go for certain situations but the flat top glow Gator is a fixture and I have no desire to replace it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to look into the justice, CG gator, quake and buzzz OS. Looking at the info on infinite discs, the tensor looks like it may have too much glide, and the vector too similar to a Roc3. What about the resistor? I see it's listed as a fairway driver, but otherwise it seems to fit my criteria. Anyone have experience with this?

Just to add...I wouldn't be surprised if you could throw a Harp as far/farther than a Justice. Every Justice I've seen has been flat, but they do have a bead and are stupid, stupid OS. Also the Zone suggestions don't make sense to me as it is exactly the same in flight as a Harp IME (premium vs. premium plastics).

I use the resistor for most of my overstable midrange distances. It's probably the best feeling disc in my bag for short flicks and longer hyzer approaches. Might be a bit fast for what you're looking for but if you don't mind a bit of skip I say give it a try

Just to add...I wouldn't be surprised if you could throw a Harp as far/farther than a Justice. Every Justice I've seen has been flat, but they do have a bead and are stupid, stupid OS. Also the Zone suggestions don't make sense to me as it is exactly the same in flight as a Harp IME (premium vs. premium plastics).

That is something to consider. I don't throw my gator a whole lot farther than my harp, so if a justice is more OS than a gator, it may not go as far and may not be as useful. And I agree about the zone. It seemed identical to the harp for me as well.

I use the resistor for most of my overstable midrange distances. It's probably the best feeling disc in my bag for short flicks and longer hyzer approaches. Might be a bit fast for what you're looking for but if you don't mind a bit of skip I say give it a try

This might be what I'm looking for. I'd like to get as much or more distance than I do with my gator, and a good flick disc is a plus. On paper it sounds like it would pair well with the harp and firebird for my OS trio.

I've only thrown one beaded champ glow Gator, and it was insane OS. Same league as the Justice, but I can't say which was more or less OS. It divebombed though. This is a small sample size, but I remember flicking a normal champ Gator and it was as expected. Also beadless Star Gator (the Mortar parallel you are looking for) is likely exactly what you want, very OS but throwable. I have no idea how difficult it is to find those.

If you want as much or more distance than your Gator then I don't think a Justice is what you want. For reference I use a Zone ~270' and in, and Firebirds ~310-325' and in. For me I don't need anything between them, but I can see how some people would. More of a feel/flight/speed thing rather than distance overlap thing.

Find one of the Metal Flake Gators. I had a Blue ome and it was absolutely flat, easy to find, and was way more OS than my domey CFR Glow. The only thing that have thrown that is close to it is a FR Buzzz OS and both are more OS and longer than my VIP Harp.

How about something like Opto Spark, XXX, perhaps a flat Banshee or a flat Firebird, Resistor etc?

Suspect is a bit less os than buzz os imho. I have 3 suspects (classic soft, fuzion, lucid), all concave. Classic soft is most os and glideless. Lucid was most understable out of the box.
Suspect is not that stable, maybe like roc3, but it handles FH very well. Harp is more os and shorter.

Justice is os, like gator and board flat or concave.
I bag a Jolly Launcher Gator ( ring of gators) and it really is pancake flat:cool:
http://proshop.innovadiscs.com/champion-gator.html

Title covers it pretty well, but I'm looking for something with the overstability and lack of glide that a gator has, but is flat topped and feels like a harp in hand (essentially, looking for a longer harp). I've read mortars are flat top, but looks like they're sold out everywhere. Is that right? Not required, but I'm interested in brands I don't currently bag (innova, trilogy, discmania, gateway).

What would you recommend?

The Mortar is technically a beadless Gator.
The Buzzz OS certainly is overstable, but I haven't thrown one enough to comment on the glide.
The Gator was my go-to mid for many, many years. Lately I've been using an ESP Flex X-Clone, that was made for 2015 Am Worlds. It's over stable, though a couple of years of throwing, mine isn't quite as stable as it once was (not a bad thing). It doesn't glide a whole lot, and when it hits the ground it does not skip very much. Technically, it is probably considered a fairway driver, at this point, but it really works well for me as a cross between a mid & fairway. Also, not sure on availability of this particular plastic. Larry LaBond had a few left after Worlds.

Yeah I bag a resistor. It's a great disc . It's rating to me is 6/3.5/0/3 Its a disc that has a nice shape and feel, its SUUUPER flat and has a simple angled (driver-ish but small/blunt) rim. Its definitely faster than other OS putt/mids but its a speed 6 that powers down VERY easily. I've even got an Ace with it that landed me $500. It can be used like a mid, but I think it is really a Fairway , just a speed 6 fairway, so it feels kinda like a driver, but its...small....

For real tho, it feels great and is a nice OS disc, so worth checking out

The Verdict, especially in heavier weights. It has so much glide, it is almost like a short fairway driver. If you really wail on it, it is super-stable, not overstable, but with a solid finish.

I've seen a lot of flat top Luster Gators at tournaments recently. My friend bags one & loves it for flicks. Flat top Gators aren't that hard to find. I personally don't like flicking discs with a bead. I used Gators for years. I switched to the Mortar & like it a lot more. It's like a beadless Gator with more glide. I can definitely flick a Mortar farther than a Gator. It's still overstable enough I don't feel I need a more beefy mid in my bag.

Latest posts