• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange Drills?

StoneWallKid

Birdie Member
My driving is good enough, my putting is coming along. But I just don't ever feel comfortable throwing anything between a put and a full drive. I never seem to know how hard or what motion to use. The grip always feels wrong. How I step up to it. And usually all this is going through my head which really doesnt help.

Any tips? I throw both FH and BH so tips with either style would be appreciated but backhand is giving me the most trouble from about 80 ft - 200

Thanks guys!

I would recommend just playing putter and mid rounds for a few weeks. Unless you have time and place for a ton of field work. That works too. But forcing yourself to mKe shots with a putter and a mid will help you off the tee and on the fairway with control of those discs. Mix those rounds into your normal play and you will figure it put. Just leave the drivers at home once a week or so. There are no magic discs, just good habits and practice.

I just went thought this battle. I had to use the right peck drill and work from the hit backwards. Using the fan grip and using the reach back for power control' it will give to "tween" power that you will need. For a 60' to putting range I will place the disk at the right peck, for 80' to 100' I put the disk at my left peck and so on. I drive my mis like my drivers just with less reach back or no x step.

It's just one of those things that takes a bit to learn...like putting.

Find 3 midranges that you like.One stable,one straight,and one that turns over.Your midranges are like your drivers,you need a few to cover all areas.Then go out to the course and have putter/midrange rounds.This will help with accuracy and control.

I use a grip that differs from a lot of people,due to my cyst on my ring finger.This a good control grip I came up with due to the pain in my finger.

Have your index finger on the edge of the rim or have the crease of your index finger under the rim(like a putt),middle finger against the rim,ring finger stacked on your middle finger and pinky against the rim.

My drives are held the same way,but my index finger is pressed against the rim.

Try this grip and other different fan grips as well,you can't really use a driving grip with success on midrange discs.So try as many fan grip variations you can.It may just all come down to how you grip your midrange discs.

So one time I went to practice in the field ner my kids' school. They had soccer goals set up for various kids soccer leagues. There was a set of regular goals the length of the field (~300' I guess) and then goals for two shorter fields that ran perpendicular to those, cutting the main field into two, smaller fields for the smaller kids, I suppose. I spent a good long time over several days on that field. I'd stand near one goal and, using mostly mids, try to land a disc in each of the other five goals. Once I collected all my discs, I'd go to the next goal and repeat, making my way around the field. It forced me to throw straight, left, and right from various distances and was very good for my game.

Basically, what I'm saying is get into a field and practice a variety of shots. Make it a game if you can. The goal is to practice something specific, not just play more rounds of golf.

Wow thanks for all the replys. There are no courses where I live. Once a month some guys set up a temp course. So im unllikely to get many mud/putter games in. I just stated feels work about a month ago, but have been focusing on bh drives cause that's brand new to me. I'll start working on my mid game again. I was a couple weeks ago, but with only 2 mid discs it's kinda boring chasing them down so I end up throwing my drivers too. Oh well, I'm moving to Minnesota in 2 months. It should help out a bunch.

Oh and how do you throw a putter 200ft? If I try for more than 75 it gets all wobbly and usually turns over way off course to the right.

Take a putter and a friend to a field. Start 50' apart and throw all kinds of lines back and forth. It's a lot lower pressure than throwing at a basket, but you're still trying to throw it right to them. As you start getting comfortable, move back a little at a time. You can get a lot of reps in a short amount of time, and it's a lot more fun imo than just standing by yourself doing field work.

Oh and how do you throw a putter 200ft? If I try for more than 75 it gets all wobbly and usually turns over way off course to the right.

Throw it with the nose up.

On my putter drives I throw it with nose up to get lift so it goes high and slowly drops down.I usually get mine out to 250ft to 270ft.

Throw it with the nose up.

On my putter drives I throw it with nose up to get lift so it goes high and slowly drops down.I usually get mine out to 250ft to 270ft.

Well this is OK with some lines, I wouldn't only throw a putter nose up, they can go far with the nose down and will go their farthest if you can throw them high and nose down.

How do you throw a disc high but nose down?

Last time I was at leagues some guys were throwing a little distance comp. I forehanded a drive about 300 feet out. It certainly wasn't my best throw, but under the conditions it wasn't bad. Then the guy after me dropped it about 15 ft farther with a wizard. :\

Yesterday I was doing some field work and I finally started to get my Buzz to go 200 ft on a straight line! I know its not far, but its a huge improvement for my BH game. And my Roc on 100-170ft FH shots seems to be stable enough.

I'll try and find someone to go throw a putter around with.

This could mean a variety of things. It could that you're gripping the putter to tight, trying to throw it too hard, or you're putting off axis torque, or OAT, on the disc. OAT is when you either rotate your wrist palm up/down during your throw or follow through and it completely kills your distance. More often than not, that is the culprit for wobbly flights.

Throwing high and nose down is very hard and I have no idea how to explain it (and I struggle with it myself sometimes). It is accomplished much easier by throwing hyzer or anhyzer

I'm guessing I'm both gripping it too hard and rolling my wrist. I'll have to be careful of that. Thanks Rhynos4life.

I've heard people talking about throwing high nose down but have never gotten a good explanation.