• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange Range?

I stop throwing mids at about 320'. The range I'll use them for is about 230' to 320' with overlap on both sides (i.e. I'll use putters for some shots in the 230'-280' range and drivers in the 300'-320' range).

I throw mids in the general range of 200-300. I throw them off the teebox 85% of the time because they are easier to control and on my local courses, there just aren't a lot of holes beaking 400' The extra 50 feet of distance I get from my drivers is rarely worth the trade off in placement.

Whiz said:
ZJ speaks the truth. I played a round with Barry Schultz recently and was surprised to find him throwing leopards or eagles on shots where I will often throw a midrange. By powering down on fairway drivers he was hitting his lines very, very consistently. It was a great experience to see how he attacked a course I am very familiar with.

he strikes me as a really cool guy...dont want to hijack but tell us a little about him?

A mid range shot for me is about 300'-340'

At those distances I can get a low line-drive style shots with a Z Buzzz. I can throw a Z Buzzz a little past 350' but it requires a lot of air and more movement than I'm looking for a low shot.

For 340-350 I like to disc up to something faster and a little more predictable at that range. However I'd like to keep working my Buzzz to the solid 350+ range as I develop my skills.

I should mention what mids you're throwing probably also makes a difference on how far you're pushing them. For instance I think the average Buzzz thrower is trying to push his mid further than say your average Roc thrower.

zj1002 said:
I could throw a roc 450ft if I aired it out on a big distance line. I remember throwing one 400ft(on a big air shot) a while back with Booter next to me at the Disc Nation driving range(this was before I was throwing 550+). He was pretty much like, "thats nice, but you won't ever be able to do that shot on the course..."

This is a really good point. I'm spoiled in a way since my home course and a lot of surrounding courses have unlimited ceiling height, so if I want to throw my putter on a 360' hole there's nothing to stop me from putting it 40' high and letting it glide out to the pin. But when I'm playing a more technical course with low hanging branches and stuff, sometimes the best shot on a 275-325' shot is powering down my OLFs. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the mindset that "I can throw x type of disc x feet, and the sign says this hole is within that range, and DGR says use the slowest disc you can to reach a target..."

The most important thing over anything else is consistency and accuracy. When I play rounds with friends it's not unusual for me to be throwing an Ion on a hole they use a Teebird. It doesn't matter who uses what disc, what matters is the results we each get. Throw what you're comfortable with, and throw what works on a given hole / line.

Tossin' in Memphis said:
Whiz said:
ZJ speaks the truth. I played a round with Barry Schultz recently and was surprised to find him throwing leopards or eagles on shots where I will often throw a midrange. By powering down on fairway drivers he was hitting his lines very, very consistently. It was a great experience to see how he attacked a course I am very familiar with.

he strikes me as a really cool guy...dont want to hijack but tell us a little about him?

Sounds like he's in the same school with Juliana Korver in throwing 80 % tops much of the time methinks? Leos are almost as straight as the straighter mids and straighter than the beefiest mids. Lines count more than raw max available D or golf D. At least on technical courses. Distance gets cut by hitting the trees...

I can get a Shark out to about 305 on a kill, but generally I won't throw them on holes over 280' barring elevation and such.

zj1002 said:
try not to get obsessed with reaching these ideal distances.

So basically, just because the sign says 300ft, you shouldn't expect you can throw a midrange to the basket. I get caught up in this a lot because I throw a lot of putters and midranges. There is a local pro that always gives me crap in rounds for taking a tougher shot with a putter/mid "just because I can". He has opened up my mind to sucking it up and powering down on a driver.

Learn to throw your discs on lines, not distances.

While good players might be able to throw a putter or mid far on an open hole, this seldom is a good idea, because its much 'safer' to throw a hyzer if its an open hole, and most players cant throw their mids far on a pure hyzer line. (Kind of obvious I know, but its an important lesson, that many players forget.) Theres a reason why pro's always tend to throw the hyzer if its a possibility