• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Minimalism Works!

Mad Scientist

Eagle Member
Sooo, the other day I decided to take the frequently given yet often ignored advice to hit the course with just a putter and a mid. And you know what? Success! I shot a 54 - par for the course and a personal best! :D

I tucked a towel in my pocket, put a mini in the other, and carried my black first-run Ridge and a Glo-Z Buzzz in hand. I drove off every tee with the Buzzz, and used the Ridge to approach and putt. I stayed 2 or 3 under well into the back 9, but bogied a few late in the round (including a gimmie putt on 17 :x ) that brought me back up to par going into the final hole, where I hit an easy three for 54 overall.

So while it might not work for everyone, I definitely support the concept of minimalism and discing down, as I have seen the benefits of it first-hand. Give it a try! Even if you are a decent player already, it might help you shave a couple strokes off your game by helping you learn your discs a little better and developing your technique.

I think I'm going to build my entire bag with this method. I'll learn one disc at a time before I decide to either keep it in my bag, or try something different. I'd like to get in a few more rounds with the Buzzz/Ridge duo, and then maybe add in a fairway driver.

Thanks, DGR! :D

It's about knowing your discs and knowing how to use them. You have to be the master of one mold before you can be master of 10.

There's a guy who's something of a local legend here in the NW who I'm not sure if I've ever seen carry more than 6 or 7 discs. I haven't seen him out much in recent years, but when I have, he's just carried 3 or 4 discs in his hands, sometimes borrowed from somebody's bag that day. In the last 2 events I've seen him play, he's handily taken 1st in both of them. And he's not a young guy either. Pretty humbling.

Sure but Maximization works too.

Travel with Al Schack (former World Champ in Pro Masters and one of Michigan's top players) to a tournament. He hauls his throwing stock (like 100 discs) with him. Then for each course he plays, he plans which discs he will use on each hole and packs his bag specifically for the course and the conditions. On the course he carries a stuffed-to-the-max bag with about 30 discs.

Knowing your discs and being able to control them is what is important. Carrying fewer discs simplifies the process for some players but is not the only road to success and may limit long term development.

It is simply easier to use the right tool for the job rather than forcing a generic tool to do every job. You can reduce your own margin of error on a shot by choosing the disc which most easily does that flight.

Most shots in the game of disc golf are essentially straight shots. But for any shot you need to turn hard (in either direction) it is easier to do so with an overstable or understable disc. For screaming winds an overstable disc makes the shot easier.

When you are using a disc which does not naturally fly the way you need a shot to fly you are making it harder on yourself. If, for example, you never carry a driver or a midrange you then must ask your putter to do more than it wants to. If your normal power range for a putter is 300 feet but the basket sits 350' away you are cranking your putter as hard as you can (and probably still coming up short) rather than throwing a smooth, easy driver. Overcranking or over-bending any disc requires you to throw it perfect to make it work. It is much more likely you fail to throw it perfect and end up shanking it.

Not including back-ups, I view as necessary 3 putters, 3 mids and 3 drivers (one straight, one understable and one overstable) plus any specialty discs for the particular course. Oh, and now I need a couple Nukes for holes I cannot reach without them. How many different molds those discs come in is of no concern for me because I will practice with a disc until I understand it before it ever sees the light of a tournament. I recognize what works for me doesn't mean it is best for everyone. But everyone should try to reduce their margin of error unless they enjoy the roller coaster ride of inconsistency.

If a player walked onto a course with just one putter and one midrange disc what they probably do is play more conservatively. Rather than try to park long, tough holes they just lay up in the middle and take easy pars. But easy pars will do you no good if the players in your division are cashing deuces. Eventually as players move up in divisions they will encounter good players who can not only play conservatively but have learned how and when to play risky and excel.

If long term you will need to learn to play a riskier brand of golf to compete then there is no time like the present to start learning it. This doesn't mean you play foolhardy on every shot but it does mean you need to learn the difficult lesson of when and how much risk you want to take. Included in this process is knowing when to use the disc capable of getting you close to the hole and how much risk you take to try that route.

You can get away with a riskier route if the disc you choose makes that route more naturally.

Using someone like Schack might not be the best comparison...he's been playing disc golf longer than I've been alive probably (not exaggerating, he's listed as pro since '86 - I was 5)

victorb said:
Using someone like Schack might not be the best comparison...he's been playing disc golf longer than I've been alive probably (not exaggerating, he's listed as pro since '86 - I was 5)

Doesn't his age just add credibility to his approach of the game? He obviously hasn't been using the same 100 discs since 86'

Taking just a couple discs to the course helps you learn those discs, for sure. But in competition, I agree with Mark...take all you need. Out here in NorCal you have to deuce every other hole to be competitive. Par doesn't cut it.

mzuleger said:
victorb said:

Doesn't his age just add credibility to his approach of the game? He obviously hasn't been using the same 100 discs since 86'
It only adds credibility to the idea that using more discs might help if you have the skills of someone who's been playing as a pro since '86. If you don't have those skills, it will still be easier to learn them with a few discs rather than a lot of different ones.

FWIW, the guy I was referring to earlier doesn't play for par either. The last tourney he played, he was over 1000 rated in his rounds.

some call me...tim? said:
There's a guy who's something of a local legend here in the NW who I'm not sure if I've ever seen carry more than 6 or 7 discs. I haven't seen him out much in recent years, but when I have, he's just carried 3 or 4 discs in his hands, sometimes borrowed from somebody's bag that day. In the last 2 events I've seen him play, he's handily taken 1st in both of them. And he's not a young guy either. Pretty humbling.

yep, our reigning wa state champ and a rattler lover ta boot! here's a pic of him with that handful of discs...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgepix/3874985874/in/set-72157622083277613/

The idea is the same in any case - if you want to improve your game, you have to know what the discs will do for you. Al has had longer to learn what discs do what and so he's got a bigger pool to pull from. Most folks coming into DGR don't have that much experience and haven't taken the time to learn what each disc does for them.

We're all essentially saying the same thing.

Congrats to the OP for a personal best round. Now find a disc that will give you a deuce opportunity on a 2-4 of those holes and work with it until you're consistent, then you should be able to drop a few under par :) Just by knowing what to throw in what situation.

As for Al, I hear that Feldberg follows the same path - a bag stuffed full of discs.

I think something you're all forgetting is that minimalism isn't about just not throwing so many molds. It's about picking the VERSATILE molds, and using those. There are many molds out there in every genre, driver/fairway/mid/putter that can cover many possible lines. That's what minimalism is about. Not just tossing out a bunch of molds. While I do agree with part of what Mark says about there being a disc that can possibly do a shot better excluding those specialty disc. Using one Versatile mold from each genre in various stages of wear are what makes up for having to learn a complete different mold to cover that shot. When you get your hands on those versatile disc in a few different stages of wear, you begin to think. "That done exactly the same shot as this disc, damn I barely even need that disc. When will I need that?" I find myself questioning some of my versatile molds at times. But, I know that discing down provides accuracy as long as you can reach the distances with that disc, unless like Mark said you're reaching your 100% maximum distance with that disc. So if I can't put a Dart there or just need more stability or more fade, I'll toss a Roc. If I need some more over stability, or even more under stability for a more dramatic right run, grab a Cyclone; I can squeeze more distance out of these too. Really need more stability, or wind resistance with distance; grab a SOLF. More stability, wind, well the Pred! Most of the time either on the Tee, and 98% of the time after tee off I grab a putter out of my bag. Maybe that's because I can drive my putters 350', but that shouldn't stop others from trying it.

Read my sig for what I throw, all in various stages of wear and you'd be hard pressed to find much more versatile molds. The Pred can be exchanged with FIrebird, xXx, Cyclones I'd replace with TL's, or Gazelle's, and the Darts with Wizard, Warlocks, maybe Voodoo's too, never tried them. So I'm not saying my bag is the end all versatile molds. These are very versatile, and there are other molds out there with just as much versatility, but these are what work for me.

Whoa, I never said that two discs were all I'd ever need. When I say I am going to build my bag this way, I fully intend to end up with a "complete" bag. Adding a fairway driver is just the next step, not the last.

I also suppose I should've added that I don't play in tournaments, and I either play by myself or with the same two or three people. I also don't play very often - maybe once every other week, and only a couple rounds each time. While I do get a certain fufillment out of playing well, I try not to take it too seriously. Disc golf for me is something I do to have fun and relax.

I have reduced my number of molds recently. My bag is currently 3 Teebirds (DX, Star, and Champ), 3 Valks (2 DX and 1 Star), a Buzz, 2 Comets (Z and X) and a Voodoo. I have a predator on the way to try out for the overstable slot.

I used to have way more molds. So far I like having a lot less molds. It makes the decision of what to throw a lot easier also I feel I am learning how to work my discs which is a plus.

some call me...tim? said:

He's also the only person that I've ever seen throw a 360 drive with a Rattler, so your mileage may vary :D

I don't believe in minimalism or maximization...I do believe in something in the middle. There needs to be a balance and what it comes down to is knowing your discs and having confidence in what they'll do for you. If you carry a bag of 30 discs and you REALLY know exactly how each disc flies and you can be consistent with them, then more power to you. If you have more confidence with 5 discs, then go with that. I just like to have discs in my bag so that I can address any line and/or weather condition that might be thrown at me on the course with confidence. Whether it's me working the disc, or the disc doing the work, I want something that gives me CONFIDENCE...that's the bottom line for me. And, the disc that gives me confidence will vary from shot to shot.

I would say that it's best to start out with fewer discs and work up to more. Too many beginners are throwing a bunch of different molds and they DO NOT know their discs. I think increasing discs to your bag should be a process that occurs over time as your game progresses. This process needs to include A LOT of practice with whatever you might be adding.

I also think that every player needs to evaluate their bag regularly and assess just how often they throw a disc and whether or not it's worth keeping in. Are they getting enough practice with it? When the moment comes that they need to rely on that disc, will they have had enough throws with it to be confident with it? If not, that player might want to consider taking that disc out of the bag or getting some serious practice in with it.

BIG MACK said:
I would say that it's best to start out with fewer discs and work up to more. Too many beginners are throwing a bunch of different molds and they DO NOT know their discs. I think increasing discs to your bag should be a process that occurs over time as your game progresses. This process needs to include A LOT of practice with whatever you might be adding.

This is pretty much what Blake meant with the 5 mold minimalism stuff. Its to ensure that you know the role, feel, and flight of each mold and can throw them all with confidence while learning. Although you don't NEED more than the five, if you know exactly how everything in your bag flies then more isn't really a problem.

Only a few top Pros have a strictly minimal bag, but if you look at what top pros are throwing it is actually more minimal than most players bags. Even Feldberg and his 30 disc bag is mostly throwing 3-4 molds the whole round from what I've seen. CE Eagles, Champ Firebirds, and Echo Star Xcals are all the drivers that I saw him throw the one round I played with him, although on a longer/more varied course I could see him throwing some more stuff.

Every disc in your bag needs a purpose. That purpose may not be really known until you purchase and try out the disc. The purpose of a disc may change as you are practicing with it. For me I bought the Champion Boss. The big bad driver which I thought would be the magical distance fix I desperately wanted; however, it is too overstable for me at this point. After throwing it time after time, I found (after a couple errant throws) that this disc was a great spike hyzer disc and a disc I could use to bend a left corner high over some obstacles. Dropped it in the bag and knew exactly where I could use it on my home course (Oshtemo, MI Hole 4). Then other extreme hyzer shots started appearing and I started hitting them consistently with my Boss. Had my practice with the boss proved to be disc I had no use for, it would have remained a disc I would practice with, but not a disc that made it into the bag.

The long story - short: Every disc in my bag has a function and a purpose. Every situation cannot be remedied with 2 discs (at least on a semi-challenging course).

With that said, it is also important to master your throws with any given disc. If your plan is to take out discs to the course and master them, then that is not a bad idea either. Disc golfs increased popularity is propelling the disc technology forward at warp speed and being behind that curve is no fun. I budget disc golf discs into my bi-weekly pay schedule. I get either 1 top of the line disc or 2 low end discs every two weeks, which is just enough field time for me to decide whether they have what I am looking for.

I think it's good to have enough discs in your bag to cover every shot you need and then over the years having your discs beat up to the point where you can take a few out and start rotating. For example, I carry a Champ. TeeBird and ESP Cyclone. The Cyclone covers my dead nuts straight and anhyzer shots, but eventually my Champ. TeeBirds will beat in to do those shots, and I'll be able to take the Cyclones out. The same goes for my Z Buzzz and Z Buzzz SS. Eventually the Buzzz will beat in to fly like the Buzzz SS and I'll take that disc out. Another example is my use of both the Focus and the Wizard. I like how the Focus feels just like the Wizard, but its straighter. The Wizard will one day beat in to become my straight putter, but until that day the Focus will be used as my main putter,and the Wizard as my overstable wind and driving putter. Right now it's simply using what I need until what I want gets to the point where I can use it.

My bag is currently set up as this...

Z Predator
Z Avenger
Z Surge SS
Champ. TeeBird
ESP Cyclone
E Demon
Z Buzzz
Z Buzzz SS
Wizard
Focus

Eventually, as my discs beat in, my bag will look like this and I can rotate new and beat in discs...

Z Predator
Z Avenger
Z Surge SS
Champ. TeeBird
E Demon
Z Buzzz
Wizard

Latest posts