• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mod Overstable Fairway Driver Slot

latitude

Eagle Member
Has struggled for some time with my mod overstable slot, when it comes to fairwaydrivers. I'm liking my Star TLs for straight fairway shots but wants something that can stand up in a slight headwind but still glide, i.e. not Firebirdish discs. TeeBird seems like the obvius choise but I've discovered them to be kind of unpredictable, and mostly to understable even when new. I like FR S-PD but since they're hard to get by I would like something else.
I guess some of these discs will excel:
Broken in Champ Banshee/EXP1
Blaze
Pro Firebird (L?)

What do you guys think?

I have FR S-PDs, and honestly you can find S-PDs that are fly identically in the newer runs.

The Banshee is really short compared to the TeeBird, PD, Firebird, etc.

latitude said:
TeeBird seems like the obvius choise but I've discovered them to be kind of unpredictable, and mostly to understable even when new.

it's really odd that you throw TL's but find Teebirds unpredictable and understable. For what you are looking for, you just described a nice Teebird to a.... tee. what type/weight TB's have you tried? they vary quite a bit.

I would say go get a star eagle that is the same weight as your tl. You also might look at the spls or qpls they are more stable then the mpls and flie like an over stable tl but are a bit shorter.

I uses the TL for straight/anny-shots but the thing with teebird has been that they're being to TLish in their flight, slightly understable to straight. Not true stable. I've tried Star/Champ in heavy weights. Anyone tried the Echo Star TeeBirds (this stamp: http://www.final9sports.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=365&cat=62&page=1)? Maybe I should just buy a few TeeBirds (Champ or Star?) and hope one of them are stable?

You guys recomending an Eagle, I assume it's the Eagle-X is what you're talking about. The Champ EX's is rather hard to get on in my area but would a Star Eagle-X fit the bill?

If you're willing to go to PD speed, don't forget about the Orion LF. Quantum for most stability, Sirius breaks in to a bit of high speed turn, but I still use them with success in moderate headwinds. Get 1.2 run for a headwind disc, 1.1's are a bit less stable.

If you want slower, Eagle-X.

latitude said:
Maybe I should just buy a few TeeBirds (Champ or Star?) and hope one of them are stable?
You guys recommending an Eagle, I assume it's the Eagle-X is what you're talking about. The Champ EX's is rather hard to get on in my area but would a Star Eagle-X fit the bill?

i've never thrown echo plastic but i have a maybe 6 year old champ teebird that is still stable and a 4 year old star teebird that's damn near overstable. both around 172. neither are squirrely in the least. so maybe i should get more teebirds and look for the straighter ones?

my 172 star eagle x was quite stable at first but after only a season of use has become a straight up all around fairway workhorse.

A new, heavy Teebird in any plastic is as predicatble and not-understable as they come, pretty much the exact opposite of how they are flying for you. I'd looking into resolving that before deciding what mold you like best.

I throw the Eagle-X for everything, but could see the Teebird/TL working out nicely.

You don't really need a mod overstable fairway driver.

What's in your current mod overstable slot? It can probably be powered down a bit to do what you need.

If you do decide to grab a Teebird, get a flattish (not completely flat) Champ one, or a domey Eco Star one. For Eagles, Star is your best bet.

latitude said:
I uses the TL for straight/anny-shots but the thing with teebird has been that they're being to TLish in their flight, slightly understable to straight. Not true stable. I've tried Star/Champ in heavy weights.
Huh, weird. My first max weight Champ TB was more overstable than my C-PD, and my current is of the true neutral (very high HSS, very low LSS) variety. Never tried an understable Champ TB, but guess I've just been lucky.

Anyway, another vote for the Star E-X

ascents are glide-less eagle's

nice disc but it can't touch an eagle

and to the OP - here is a list of discs in that category that I would recommend.

Star Eagle-X: get one in the 168-172g, it will be your work horse driver
Q Polaris LS: stability of an Eagle with the straight flight of a TB. magical disc when used properly
Sirius Polaris LS: from what I have read, this is a bit shorter but still as stable as a QPLS

The banshee or exp1 is going to be similar to an eagle. The banshee will start out considerably more stable than an eagle. I am not sure why people are suggesting distance drivers for a stable fairway driver slot. Sure the PD can be powered down, so can every other disc. Just because you can power down on it doesnt mean it is better than having a fairway driver you can always throw with the same power and get the same results

I like ESP Avengers. Apparently, I am in the minority. If it had to be Innova, it would be a Star Starfire. These may be a little longer/faster than what you are looking for, but I use my Avengers the way most people that I play with use TeeBirds.
KP

Wyno said:
Frank Delicious said:
As a Mod who throws overstable fairway drivers, I enjoy the eagle-x
Ascents not quite making the cut?

I'm still throwing one but don't know if it is gonna make the cut yet. The lack of glide is my main knock against it.

Imo:

1 - tourney stamped ESP Avenger
2 - Star Eagle X/Champ Eagle X
3 - Proline Tsnunami
4 - CE FX

I have 11x Champ Teebirds that finish as strong as a Pred but in enough wind will turn and glide in the wrong direction