• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

More Fade In Cold Weather

RoDeO

Captain Oblivous!
Was out throwing the past few days in the colder weather and noticed my discs are fading really fast after the turn portion and almost going sideways. Is it because the air is just so much more dense and causing it to fade quicker and harder?

Denser air would make the disc fly more understable. As an example, discs fly more overstable in higher elevation than sea level.

If a disc already turned for you, then had an 'almost glowing sideways' kind of fade, seems like it got pushed pretty hard by a right to left crosswind. It also might be that since you're cold, you might not be fully loose, and throwing the discs slower. A higher speed disc that isn't thrown up to speed will have a sharp fade, even if you got some turn out of it.

My second week using a Standstill for field work. My Roc3's and Pig's were drawing this morning, and a Star Gator was fading. It was mid 30's with wind chill at 25. Wearing two hoodies. I felt the heavier clothing was in the way.

Denser air would make the disc fly more understable. As an example, discs fly more overstable in higher elevation than sea level.

If a disc already turned for you, then had an 'almost glowing sideways' kind of fade, seems like it got pushed pretty hard by a right to left crosswind. It also might be that since you're cold, you might not be fully loose, and throwing the discs slower. A higher speed disc that isn't thrown up to speed will have a sharp fade, even if you got some turn out of it.
Aye. They were turning a lot. If they got more than 12 feet of elevation they would turn 50-100 feet before fading back. I was getting fairly good distance I thought for my arm and the discs, just clearly getting robbed of the fade distance part. So maybe they were just getting slowed down so much that by the time the fade kicked in they were going a lot slower than normal and fading hard? There was a slight crisswind of about 3 mph. Maybe that helped contribute to it

yes, I also read that cold weather makes the disc more stable something about the plastic being firmer, footing, layers of extra clothes and the grip can make it more os during the winter

Inconsistent form producing different results on different days?

No I dont think it's inconsistent form, I haven't thrown for distance outside in a while because of the weather and the time change. My form was really spot on the past few days. I was getting great distance for my arm speed and the conditions. I've never thrown in the winter as I've only been playing 5 months. Was just surprised at just how much sideways fade it was getting. Figured it must just be the cold dense air slowing it down extra fast and thus fading hard at the end. But not totally sure. Thats why I thought I would ask.

I've had this happen. IDK if it's the air itself, or me just being cold/stiff and unable to get the disc out as fast as usual.

Cold, damp air simply sucks when you want big yardage. Everything definitely seems more overstable/glideless.

Depends on how cold but sometimes in calm weather the colder it is the stiffer a disc is. This just from Innova and Discraft, a stiffer disc means a more stable, OS disc even if not by much and this is just based on the production runs.

Less ejection speed in the winter. Cold hands and= weaker grip. More clothing = less range of motion/less in the way

Cold air makes plastic firmer. Firm discs are generally more overstable.

Cold air is also denser so discs slow down quicker

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I've noticed this at times as well. It's strange that discs seem to turn more for me in the winter and yet also, seemingly paradoxically, fade sooner. Makes for a less consistent experience for me in general. I don't know either way, but here are some theories:
1. I'm not as loose, so I don't get as much speed OR spin on the disc. Less spin reduces the gyroscopic effect, and the gyro effect is what usually tempers both high speed turn and low speed fade.
2. Cold air causes down-drafts, reducing glide and therefore distance when compared to a warm day with updrafts, however subtle?
3. Winter air is more dense (air expands when it heats up). Therefore, it is slightly more viscous, causing more high speed turn but also slowing the disc down faster and causing the late fade.

Less ejection speed in the winter. Cold hands and= weaker grip. More clothing = less range of motion/less in the way

Cold air makes plastic firmer. Firm discs are generally more overstable.

Cold air is also denser so discs slow down quicker

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I had exactly one of these days today. Hands were cold and dry. Didn't feel like I had a good grip on the disc. Everything felt like it was hyzering off early. I didn't even have much feel for putting.

Temp was high 30s.

Lousiest round of the year. No consistency, and I felt like I couldn't aim anything properly.

Cold will definitely mess you up.