• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

More Stable vs. More Stability

A lot of people get this confused. The problem is that people often use the word stable when they really mean straight or neutral.

Grammar: Stability is a noun (resistance to turn), and stable is an an adjective used to describe a disc's resistance to turn or compare to another disc.

Examples:
All discs have stability, even the most understable.
That new Firebird is more stable than my old one.

Stability is the entire range from overstable to understable. For RHBH, the more stable a disc is, the harder it is to get it to turn to the right. Discs that fade hard to the left no matter how much spin or anhyzer you put on them are considered overstable (most stable). Discs that easily turn over to the right are less stable (understable). Discs that go straight have neutral stability (or are neutrally stable).

A lot of people get this confused. The problem is that people often use the word stable when they really mean straight or neutral.

Grammar: Stability is a noun (resistance to turn), and stable is an an adjective used to describe a disc's resistance to turn or compare to another disc.

Examples:
All discs have stability, even the most understable.
That new Firebird is more stable than my old one.

Stability is the entire range from overstable to understable. For RHBH, the more stable a disc is, the harder it is to get it to turn to the right. Discs that fade hard to the left no matter how much spin or anhyzer you put on them are considered overstable (most stable). Discs that easily turn over to the right are less stable (understable). Discs that go straight have neutral stability (or are neutrally stable).

I give this post a gold star.:thmbup:

Stable = straight? Not necessarily.

A couple examples:

Teebird/TL and OLF/OLS. Innova calls the TL a straighter version of the Teebrid. Millenium designates OLF as 'Orion Long Fade' and OLS as 'Orion Long Straight'. What did Innova do to the TL to make it "straighter"? They removed stability. Same thing with the OLS.

Understable discs are distinguished by straight flight and little to no fade, assuming no headwind or anhyzer release...from high speed drivers right on down to putters.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you typically need to turn over more "stable" discs, resulting in an S curve, in order for them to get good distance. And that does not translate to "straight".

Teebird/TL and OLF/OLS. Innova calls the TL a straighter version of the Teebrid.What did Innova do to the TL to make it "straighter"? They removed stability. Same thing with the OLS.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you typically need to turn over more "stable" discs, resulting in an S curve, in order for them to get good distance. And that does not translate to "straight".

The TL just lost a point of fade, but didn't get any turn. They're both dead straight discs, just one fades quicker/harder than the other. That would mean it's straighter longer, theoretically.

I'm not sure what distance has to do with anything. you don't have to throw something in an S curve to get distance. In fact, most times when people do this to overstable/stable discs, it's because of OAT. You can throw a disc on a line and get plenty of distance.

The TL just lost a point of fade, but didn't get any turn. They're both dead straight discs, just one fades quicker/harder than the other. That would mean it's straighter longer, theoretically.

I'm not sure what distance has to do with anything. you don't have to throw something in an S curve to get distance. In fact, most times when people do this to overstable/stable discs, it's because of OAT. You can throw a disc on a line and get plenty of distance.

Fade kills distance...that's why most throwing overstable drivers have to put big anny on to get a big flex in order to counteract the fade...for max D anyway. Not exactly sound technique. Where OS shines is in any kind of wind.

Fade kills distance...that's why most throwing overstable drivers have to put big anny on to get a big flex in order to counteract the fade...for max D anyway. Not exactly sound technique. Where OS shines is in any kind of wind.

BUT if the disc is designed to be straight, thrown at it's intended distance, then that is what we're talking about. Going for Big D is not what this discussion is about.

BUT if the disc is designed to be straight, thrown at it's intended distance, then that is what we're talking about. Going for Big D is not what this discussion is about.

Well, how do you define a disc as "straight" if there's any fade? Flight path? Okay, maybe...

And I don't know what you mean by "intended distance".

#2 if they both have the same HSS, they are equally stable. Fade does not equal stability IMO

The rest is semantics. It depends on if you look at the stability scale as

overstable <-------------------------------->Understable

or

Overstable<--------------Stable------------->Understable

There is not true definition when dealing with arbitrary numbers.

EDIT: And this scale was created for specifically HSS at first as far as I know.

this is how i understand it. some people would get irritated if you called an Xcaliber "stable" and correct you that it is "overstable".

overstable <-------------------------------->Understable

or

Overstable<--------------Stable------------->Understable

To me if a disc is "more stable" it just moves further to the left on either of these scales. To me it also refers to HSS as well as LSS, after all the last S in those stands for stability.

And I don't know what you mean by "intended distance".

I mean what everyone else means. That's what a speed is on a disc; if you throw it at X speed then it will yield Y path. For the TL, which is a control driver, if you throw it at the speed a Boss is designed for, you'll end up with a roller. If you throw it at the speed of a Birdie, you've got a meathook.

I think that when comparing two discs no matter what they are you should never use the term "less stable, or more stable". One of them is always more overstable or understable than the other. If we would use this terminology there would be no confusion.:popcorn:

Latest posts