• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Reliable Discs

For me, hands down the JLS is the most reliable disc I've thrown and have in my bag. After that I'd say DX Roc's.

latitude 64 core. this is a midrange, not a driver, but I love it. When thrown full power (and I have a lot of power) this disc will barely turn over, maybe 2-5 degrees. When thrown 95 percent, it will fly perfectly straight in a line. I can also just put a little hyzer on it and it will fly straight at full power. at the end of its flight it will fade a tiny bit, only 3-4 feet though. I can easily throw this disc 275 feet in a perfectly straight line. There is a surprisingly large ammount of room for error too, I can release with too much hyzer and it will flatten out, or with too little, and it really fights flipping over on my. Love this disc, a must have in any bag.

Coffinator1 said:
latitude 64 core. this is a midrange, not a driver, but I love it. When thrown full power (and I have a lot of power) this disc will barely turn over, maybe 2-5 degrees. When thrown 95 percent, it will fly perfectly straight in a line. I can also just put a little hyzer on it and it will fly straight at full power. at the end of its flight it will fade a tiny bit, only 3-4 feet though. I can easily throw this disc 275 feet in a perfectly straight line. There is a surprisingly large ammount of room for error too, I can release with too much hyzer and it will flatten out, or with too little, and it really fights flipping over on my. Love this disc, a must have in any bag.

I've thrown 4 cores, and all of them have been at least somewhat flippy, so I'm surprised to hear this. Its definitely not a form issue. I thought about switching from the Buzzz, but the cores weren't nearly as stable. Maybe there are good cores out there, and I just happened to pick the 4 that flew kinda sorta like Fuses.

Rocs and Eagles are two molds that I trust to do what they are suppose to. You can power up on both of them, and depending on what stage they are in, they will come out off a turn.

Mark Ellis said:
A paper plate.

It might not be effective or useful but it is reliable. And unless there is wind it won't go very far, either.

Short of anything that is very overstable or very understable, reliability is mostly dependent on the skill of the thrower.

Yes I think its important to distinguish between reliable and consistent. You can always rely on FLX Predator to turn hard left no matter how you throw it, you cant rely on a Sidewinder (or other understable disc) to always turn right no matter how you throw it. Although it will consistently turn right if thrown a specific way. And the same holds true for discs that fly straight.

I guess the way I thought about it was: what disc would I throw if I was looking at water right, trees left (or vise-versa), and a tiny landing zone.
Like this stupid hole:
view_image.php

Now picture that without such nice grooming

I would throw something overstable (pick your favorite of Xcal/Force/flick/Pred/Firebird/XXX etc) over the water, trusting it to fade back to safety and never flip

Fizzy said:
jubuttib said:
Fizzy said:
The Zone is insanely predictable. It barely flies. It's like throwing a stone.

As for more versatile discs: TEEBIRD. I've never thrown a more predictable driver.
What Zones have you been throwing? It is indeed reliable, but when driving at least the ESP flies very well, not like a stone at all.

What I mean is, it generates very little lift. Most putters generate less lift than most mid-ranges and drivers, but the Zone lifts less than most putters. As a side-effect, it doesn't even become nose angle-sensitive into strong head-winds (which makes it incredibly predictable.)

I've thrown a first run (stiff is a board) D-Zone since it first came out. I own an ESP Zone and for a while a new D Zone. And now that I think about it, you're right: the ESP and new D both "fly" more than than the first run. I like the first run better though.

never play a round without using my ESP Zone

My home course doesn't have a single hole over 300 ft. Due to that fact, I don't get to exercise the drivers in my bag too much. In the last tournament I played, 18 holes there, I drove my aviars for 12 of the holes, and followed up with approach/putts with them as well. When really beat in, the dx has a nice, consistent understability to it that never fades back to being stable. the newer ones will have just a little stable fade to them, and my medium ones just go straight forever. I can use this disc to drive, putt, and anything in between with. That makes it not only versitile, but I can do so reliably. The progression from "sable" to understable is reliable, and I know exactly how the disc will act out of my hand. I love my aviars.

I'll have to change my earlier opinion. I'd say the XCaliber may be the most consistent disc I have, it consistently breaks and is my confidence disc in windy conditions or with water abound.

A mildly seasoned ESP Predator is insanely reliable. Put the right amount of weight in your throw, aim and fire. Brilliant!

Spirit is crazy overstable it always fades early and fast and doesn't fly far unless _assisted_ by howling headwinds. It really doesn't wanna fly with my power anyway and drops like a rock soon without the help of headwinds.

Depends on what for. I find my old Champ Aviar is my most reliable midrange, however it's not as reliable for driving anymore. I would say my Roc and Teebird are the other discs that will fly the way I need them to 99% of the time.

Latest posts