• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Most Underrated Disc Ever!

Back when I first started playing I used to putt with an x comet I believe it was. This was before the champ spider and 180 gram flying squirrel lol. I've still never really thrown one and I don't see hardly anyone using one. Definitely underrated.

I would say all 3 are underrated molds.

That's actually very true. But they are definitely not underrated putters. 😁

Not for the Spider or Flying Squirrel those are great putters , ask my uncle how he likes his Old DX Spiders as his putting putter and approach disc and a Star for driving putter. Uncle uses that due to not liking what else was on the market in 2001 for discs labeled as putters then in 2010's got the Star for driving from a cousin of mine who tried the mold but did not like it was big bead. Comet for some is hard to use being a larger 180 gram max diameter disc but as a US/Neutral approach disc the Comet works in that slot very well, I feel that for approach discs they do not need to be a putter or small diameter putter like midrange.

The spider actually was actually pretty good putter for me. The flying squirrel not so much. I don't even remember where I got the flying squirrel. But I had an ABC discs secret weapon too. A few of them actually.

The spider actually was actually pretty good putter for me. The flying squirrel not so much. I don't even remember where I got the flying squirrel. But I had an ABC discs secret weapon too. A few of them actually.

Yeah my brother used an eventual beat but board flat top Gator for putter until for birthday 2017 when I got him 2 Studs as his putting putter as the Gator was one good hit into something from falling apart. He did not like the Spider when it was in production, the disc was not what he wanted and felt too putter like to him as a micro bit taller Gator. He had used one of my uncles DX Spider discs as his putter the first time we went out to play with a different uncle and his son, a cousin of my brother and I. He did not like how the Spider felt even the worn in one, so he ended up eventually with the Gator in 2005 as his putter until 2017 after trying the old late 1990's classic Grid Avair with microbead an uncle gave him and an old stiff Pro D Magnet.

Last edited:
My pick for the most criminally underrated disc is the DX Cobra.

I picked one up a few months back at my local hardware store for a one disc round out of necessity and was completely dumbfounded how throwable it was. Let's face it, DX Cobras are basic and being basic is very unflattering. Noobs can't flick them, you won't see or hear your favorite pro mention them in an ITB, and DG marketing isn't aggressively shoving them in your face. Simply put, they're easily overlooked.

Why do I like them?
I can't put them on frozen ropes or effortless anny shots off the store shelf, they're cheap, and they're easily replaceable. I enjoy traveling and playing new courses, but I found myself taking less aggressive lines repeatedly for fear of losing my beloved perfectly seasoned premium understable mids to water hazards and or blind layouts with heavy rough. Ain't nobody got time for that.

In conclusion, people may think DX Cobras are like kissing your sister, but I think they're more like kissing your sister when you're from West Virginia.

Probably not the most underrated disc ever, but I'm really starting to dig the Enigma. It flies like a mellow, broken in star Destroyer. Surprisingly long, glidey disc for speed 12. Nicely workable and easy to throw.

Discmania/L64 got this one right. I think it flies like a more refined Trespass.

The Enigma is pretty unknown, but very much worth a look.

What do you mean by "more refined Trespass?"

Yeah, but being an enigma, you might find it in a dark alley in an opioid dazed dream state the next day... 🤪

Did somebody say E. Nygma?

giphy.gif

My pick for the most criminally underrated disc is the DX Cobra.

I picked one up a few months back at my local hardware store for a one disc round out of necessity and was completely dumbfounded how throwable it was. Let's face it, DX Cobras are basic and being basic is very unflattering. Noobs can't flick them, you won't see or hear your favorite pro mention them in an ITB, and DG marketing isn't aggressively shoving them in your face. Simply put, they're easily overlooked.

Why do I like them?
I can't put them on frozen ropes or effortless anny shots off the store shelf, they're cheap, and they're easily replaceable. I enjoy traveling and playing new courses, but I found myself taking less aggressive lines repeatedly for fear of losing my beloved perfectly seasoned premium understable mids to water hazards and or blind layouts with heavy rough. Ain't nobody got time for that.

In conclusion, people may think DX Cobras are like kissing your sister, but I think they're more like kissing your sister when you're from West Virginia.

How funny, I actually came in here to say DX Cobra, and the first time I ever threw one was this morning. I found an unmarked DX Cobra yesterday at the course. I'm going through a form rebuild and throwing lots of slow stuff, basically playing rounds with nothing but Wizards, a Buzzz, and 3 Gazelles in various levels of beatness. For some reason I thought Cobras were understable roller machines, but decided to give it a throw during field work. Man was I wrong about this disc. I threw that thing on a frozen rope just like you described, and it sailed past my buzzz and my gazelles. Nice and stiff and I love DX plastic. Really excited to add this disc to the bag.

How funny, I actually came in here to say DX Cobra, and the first time I ever threw one was this morning. I found an unmarked DX Cobra yesterday at the course. Nice and stiff and I love DX plastic. Really excited to add this disc to the bag.

Our revolution is gaining traction, mon ami

So was the XS, both OS Discraft discs. Bring them back. Anybody does DGA have an XS like disc?, for my brother. Same question for the Xtreame for the guy above.

The XS wasn't overstable at all. If anything it was like a Valkyrie. Fairly unimpressive.

If you want overstable, look at the Reaper.

How funny, I actually came in here to say DX Cobra, and the first time I ever threw one was this morning. I found an unmarked DX Cobra yesterday at the course. I'm going through a form rebuild and throwing lots of slow stuff, basically playing rounds with nothing but Wizards, a Buzzz, and 3 Gazelles in various levels of beatness. For some reason I thought Cobras were understable roller machines, but decided to give it a throw during field work. Man was I wrong about this disc. I threw that thing on a frozen rope just like you described, and it sailed past my buzzz and my gazelles. Nice and stiff and I love DX plastic. Really excited to add this disc to the bag.

Beat ones are;) Hell, new ones work great on contolled approach FH rollers too. I always have one of each in my big bag, the 4ish/10 being 30 years old. Simply put better roller discs tend to have a fairly 50/50 weight ratio above and below the PLH. Shape of the rim of course matters as well...and the Cobra possesses both of those qualities.

I know it was mentioned back in 2011, but I will give my vote to the Innova Shark. Comes in the starter pack with the leopard and the aviar p&a. People always praise the leopard and there are so many aviar manifestations, I don't know the difference between them all, but the dx shark is a fine disc and never gets out of the roc's large shadow.

I know it was mentioned back in 2011, but I will give my vote to the Innova Shark. Comes in the starter pack with the leopard and the aviar p&a. People always praise the leopard and there are so many aviar manifestations, I don't know the difference between them all, but the dx shark is a fine disc and never gets out of the roc's large shadow.

I second the Shark, having had one since 2000's in my bag. I found a DX 166 gram on a course without a name or anything on the disc so I think the disc was used for one round as it still had he big sticker from a store on it on the back old faded letters as if the disc was left out for a week. I gave that disc away with other new discs to a friend who could use those discs but I had by then other Shark discs I could use for my approach game out to ~ max of 110 feet and my Driving putter slot as well as windy putting putter.

I use the Shark 3 for true midrange and if that were gone, and all sold out when I need more, I would try to see if Innova comes back with the Shark in Champion if not then I would get the Lion in Champion, as a disc with Shark like dome in other plastic will have the putter float unless something like the ROC, then the mold has glide not just drops when spin starts to be visibly slower.

The XS wasn't overstable at all. If anything it was like a Valkyrie. Fairly unimpressive.

If you want overstable, look at the Reaper.

Oh, my brother liked the XS he had for a few years before a cousin using the mold dunked it in the water on a course. If it is Vakyrie like then my brother has the exact replacement from Innova the Sidewinder, and he has used the Road Runner too.

Latest posts