• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Most Underrated Disc Ever!

Spider, Cobra, you all are speaking my language. I'll throw a little Cro on there as well.

For Swedish plastic, I thought their old school mid trio of Pain, Core, Fuse was also underrated.

For defunct disc golf, I wish I had a stack of Vibram Ibex mids.

Spider, Cobra, you all are speaking my language. I'll throw a little Cro on there as well.

For Swedish plastic, I thought their old school mid trio of Pain, Core, Fuse was also underrated.

For defunct disc golf, I wish I had a stack of Vibram Ibex mids.

Going to completely agree on the Cro, Pain, and Core. I'll also add a new disc, Innova Mirage.

Lighting #2 Driver, under 169 grams the disc floats for a long time, 169-175 grams 10-15 minutes even on a calm day. The mold is underrated thrower, similar to between an XL and Stalker in flight when new. Probably the be water floating fairway driver on the market, but the mold is not great in the old plastics that Lightning made the mold in, the newer DuPont added to baseline is probably better. I know that the mold was not made in other plastic, Pro-line due to the disc not able to float in other plastic. This was why I did not get the mold, the heavy weights did not have a floating ability as well as the under 169-168 grams and the baseline pre-DuPont/Glow was terrible from Lighting, dents up easier then then current style 2000 DX for the Dragon and even modern R-Pro Style DX for the Dragon. I also got the Dragon due to the mold being 150 grams only for tail wind open hole bomber.

Underrated for a water floating driver disc, most use the Wahoo and complain about the disc not flying well due to high glide or they use the Hydra and hate the wing shape, when Innova sells the R-Pro Bulldog a better driving putter, or the Hydra at 170-172 grams in G-Star for a putter. Even the Rubber Putter also Lighting with some hi-flex compound to the baseline is better disc for water as the mold floats better in water for weights 172 grams and under, those heavy weight Rubber putters do not float as well.

Last edited:
Two Westside submissions after throwing them a bunch recently:

Pine- In the world of stable mids, poking your head up and waving your arms and getting noticed over the likes of the Buzzz, MD3, Roc3, eMac, and so on is not an easy task, and I would assume this is at least part of the Pines problem. As with any disc category, it'll usually end up coming down to how it feels in your hand, and I love the beadless feel of the Pine, and to me it's almost a cross between a Buzzz and a Roc in terms of feel, and it feels just a hair deeper than a Buzzz, which when it comes to the Buzzz, the rim depth is it one little hang up that that keeps me from loving it and trusting it implicitly (also my exact same issue with the Zone). I love how workable the Pine is and how you can give it anhyzer and it will come out of it rather than fighting out. If Westside gave it the full plastic treatment (VIP-X, VIP, Tournament, BT) I think you'd easily be able to fill your bag with just the Pine and cover your mid game.

War Horse- First of all, coolest stamp/disc name combo going right now. Second, this is another one where I could see a big-armed trilogy sponsored player filling out their bag with this mold. You have Eagle and Simon who layer PD2s and tear it up with those, I could easily see an arm like Tristan Tanner beating up some domey Tournament War Horses and putting those with the VIPs and going to town. Again with the personal hand feel, I love the way the War Horse feels on a forehand grip. Chris Clemons throwing them forehand is what got them on my radar in the first place.

Agree 100% about the Pine. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it's now OOP. Great disc. Maybe they'll have some limited edition runs every once in awhile like the do with the Trident. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

I was just grabbing discs this morning to bring to work, and the Comet came with me. We have a narrow back yard that's really good for practicing tunnel shots on.

I've always struggled with my grip on the Comet but this morning I said, "Dammit, I'm going to learn this disc if it kills me"!

My journey starts today.

I feel like the comet gets a bit of an undeserved rap as a touchy disc that's best for people with flawless form, or as a form perfecter. While both of those have some truth, I certainly don't have great form and I'm not working super hard to fix it, and I get plenty of utility out of the comet. I'm not throwing it 350' on a frozen rope like MJ but for holding a tricky anny or a juicy hyzer flip in the woods it's magic and definitely saves me strokes.

Two Westside submissions after throwing them a bunch recently:

Pine- In the world of stable mids, poking your head up and waving your arms and getting noticed over the likes of the Buzzz, MD3, Roc3, eMac, and so on is not an easy task, and I would assume this is at least part of the Pines problem. As with any disc category, it'll usually end up coming down to how it feels in your hand, and I love the beadless feel of the Pine, and to me it's almost a cross between a Buzzz and a Roc in terms of feel, and it feels just a hair deeper than a Buzzz, which when it comes to the Buzzz, the rim depth is it one little hang up that that keeps me from loving it and trusting it implicitly (also my exact same issue with the Zone). I love how workable the Pine is and how you can give it anhyzer and it will come out of it rather than fighting out. If Westside gave it the full plastic treatment (VIP-X, VIP, Tournament, BT) I think you'd easily be able to fill your bag with just the Pine and cover your mid game.

War Horse- First of all, coolest stamp/disc name combo going right now. Second, this is another one where I could see a big-armed trilogy sponsored player filling out their bag with this mold. You have Eagle and Simon who layer PD2s and tear it up with those, I could easily see an arm like Tristan Tanner beating up some domey Tournament War Horses and putting those with the VIPs and going to town. Again with the personal hand feel, I love the way the War Horse feels on a forehand grip. Chris Clemons throwing them forehand is what got them on my radar in the first place.

Actually really like both of those, I throw Warhorses as my main driver and if the Pine has come out before the Bard there is a good chance it would be my mid as well.

Another one most overlooked disc of all time is the Condor, manly due to no ability to fit into modern disc golf bags only made after small Disc Golf discs not Catch disc became the standard size for discs in late 1980's. People love the mold but do not use on the course or have one, not me due to rim/wing being same width and design shape or very very close to a ROC rim/wing.

Then the other is the Viper, an OS fairway/midrange hybrid gets overlooked for stuff that came out almost 10 years later like the Gator for a utility mold using different plastics or almost 15 years later with the Drone. also overlooked for years due to the Whippet that was stopped for some odd reason.

Last edited:
Discraft Zombee! Basically a longer buzzz, super versatile disc that can cover almost any shot. I don't know of any pros throwing them.
I also feel like I'm the only person I know throwing Eagles, which is one of my favorite discs. I think Barsby and Calvin are the only pros that I know throwing them.

Discraft Zombee! Basically a longer buzzz, super versatile disc that can cover almost any shot. I don't know of any pros throwing them.
I also feel like I'm the only person I know throwing Eagles, which is one of my favorite discs. I think Barsby and Calvin are the only pros that I know throwing them.

Is Greg Barsby Still on Team Innova?

Lat 64 Knight bombs
champ daedalus...great d good turn but not too flippy.
pro anything...boss, destroyer wraith,katana
sharks..dont have one now but really good at 170+
blizz kats
dx firebirds...insanely long hyzer flips when beat
barsby roadrunner..roller..or straight flyerdownwind ur choice feels great

Underrated disc

I'm gonna have to call the Axiom Insanity underrated. The disc itself isn't much to look at. It's a somewhat flippy 9 speed driver.

IDK what it is about the Insanity, but I throw this thing great. It has the perfect amount of turn and late fade to produce brilliant S curves without getting flippy.

The Insanity is like a better version of the Valkyrie.

The Insanity is one of the few discs I can power down on and still get good results. It won't hyzer off early.

The Insanity forced its way into my bag accidentally. I found one and was going to throw it and leave it on the course. Nope. It's still in the bag months later. From my first throw, the thing was perfect.

I'm gonna have to call the Axiom Insanity underrated. The disc itself isn't much to look at. It's a somewhat flippy 9 speed driver.

IDK what it is about the Insanity, but I throw this thing great. It has the perfect amount of turn and late fade to produce brilliant S curves without getting flippy.

The Insanity is like a better version of the Valkyrie.

The Insanity is one of the few discs I can power down on and still get good results. It won't hyzer off early.

The Insanity forced its way into my bag accidentally. I found one and was going to throw it and leave it on the course. Nope. It's still in the bag months later. From my first throw, the thing was perfect.

The Insanity is a staple in my bag and one of my favorite discs ever. Very dear to my heart!!!

The Insanity is a staple in my bag and one of my favorite discs ever. Very dear to my heart!!!

Mine, too. Like I said prior, I had zero intention of throwing the Insanity more than once. I was going to toss it and abandon it. Even right away I could tell it worked for me. I probably pull out the Insanity twice a round, and those two throws are always on the money.

Such controlled turn. I throw the Insanity when I need about 375' power, but I don't feel like throwing the disc 100%.

Speed 9 understable isn't even a niche I like in a disc. The Insanity is an anomaly in that regard.

Insanity driver is my best distance disc.
It's so reliable for me. I am still a newb but this disc is teaching me a lot. It works well with forehands, too. I love it dearly. They are also just sweet discs aesthetically. They feel like quality and hold up well.

Mine, too. Like I said prior, I had zero intention of throwing the Insanity more than once. I was going to toss it and abandon it. Even right away I could tell it worked for me. I probably pull out the Insanity twice a round, and those two throws are always on the money.

Such controlled turn. I throw the Insanity when I need about 375' power, but I don't feel like throwing the disc 100%.

Speed 9 understable isn't even a niche I like in a disc. The Insanity is an anomaly in that regard.

I bought my first one as my first "informed" distance driver. I did the newb thing prior and had bought a wraith and a dominator that I zero business throwing. Found this site, geeked out on disc flight and stabilityand everything dg, and shelved those higher speed discs. I spent the next two seasons throwing that Insanity for every shot over probably 260'. It slowly transitioned from "distance driver" to "control driver". I now throw Waves for bigger distance (also an underrated mold imo) but the Insanity comes out a ton. I lost my beloved first one late last season, but replacements are on the way before the new season kicks off for me. I can't go a round without one.

I bought my first one as my first "informed" distance driver. I did the newb thing prior and had bought a wraith and a dominator that I zero business throwing. Found this site, geeked out on disc flight and stabilityand everything dg, and shelved those higher speed discs. I spent the next two seasons throwing that Insanity for every shot over probably 260'. It slowly transitioned from "distance driver" to "control driver". I now throw Waves for bigger distance (also an underrated mold imo) but the Insanity comes out a ton. I lost my beloved first one late last season, but replacements are on the way before the new season kicks off for me. I can't go a round without one.

I never got that into the Wave. It's one of those discs that gets really flippy at high speed.

I did have a freak 450'+ shot with a Wave on the course one time. It's by far the most distance I've ever gotten out of that mold.

One other disc by Axiom I'd list as underrated is the Excite. For me it's like a better Katana. Really fast, great glide, and some nice turn. Easy to throw and super long.

Latest posts