• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Axis

They feel a little heavy in the hand if you're used to lighter discs, but they really don't throw like it. I've been moving to more lighter discs in the same range maansmit, and was worried that the axis I got, green 178, would be too heavy. But I'd say it throws like a lighter disc in the 170-175 range, my beat 180 dx roc feels like throwing a brick by comparison. The axis has that buttery smooth flight that Lat64 discs tend to have, and I plan on getting some lighter ones when they're available. But I'm glad I have the heavier one, I think it will be a nice compliment to fight winds, and I might pick up a few more.

Thanks discspeed this helps alot, hoping jubuttib gets his Axes soon will do a write up from the md2 side. So I am thinking MD2s will keep my molds down, but not positive yet.
Got them, they're seriously like the best seasoned orange FR P-MD2's I've thrown, except more glidey (and you can actually get Axes). They're just plain better than the current P-MD2's for finesse lines, and if they had the grip of R-Pro they'd be all around better than the orange oldies.

From the MD2 perspective then: Better glide than my C-Lines, not that much less fade (my C-MD2's are really straight), power down much better and are better on finesse throws, but the C-Lines power up better and are better in the wind. So no, not a threat to my C-MD2's or to my beat to understable D-MD2's. As a straight finesse disc they're better than the current P-MD2's in pretty much everything except grip.

The glide is pretty great but I wasn't as wowed as I was when I first threw the Comet. If the lighter runs manage to hang on to stability and get more glide though...

i got one of mine in the mail just now and it feels great in the hand. like a lot of other people here, i like drivers in the upper 160s and mids in the lower 170s. my axis is an orange 180 and it doesn't feel super heavy. i probably won't get a chance to toss it until tomorrow morning but i'm not super concerned about the heavier weight. i'm sure once they get down around the 170 range i'll pick a few up also.

how much of a difference are you finding in glide between the axis and C-line? mine was typically going about 5-10ft farther when i was trying to do the exact same throw in the 250ft range.

i did a fair amount of testing yesterday and will do some more today on the course then post what i found but i agree with your assessment that the axis powers down better but for me the CMD2 was actually flying straighter and more consistent 300' and up. especially when i'm doing 330' straight shots about 20-30ft off the ground.

my cmd2 comes out and has just a slight touch of high speed turn then flies crazy straight and hardly fades at all at the end, it's just about a dead straight shot the entire way. the axis however when thrown flat comes out with a bit more high speed turn then flies straight but fades right at the end. to get the axis to not fade right i had to add some hyzer and i was either getting straight flights with fade or gradual s curve flights.

I finally got a chance to really throw my 178 in green today. I took a chance and a few strokes to not use my trusty cryztal buzzz and it really paid off. Where I pointed it is where it flew. Extremely straight with little fade and no bad skips, I threw it on a few holes around the 230-250 ft range and birdie all of them I threw. It looks like I may take my rocs out and throw Buzzzs' and Axis' now exclusively......now im off to buy one or two more! :thmbup:

how much of a difference are you finding in glide between the axis and C-line? mine was typically going about 5-10ft farther when i was trying to do the exact same throw in the 250ft range.
On all out rips it's honestly not that big of a difference. Anything less than that the Axis has the edge.
i did a fair amount of testing yesterday and will do some more today on the course then post what i found but i agree with your assessment that the axis powers down better but for me the CMD2 was actually flying straighter and more consistent 300' and up. especially when i'm doing 330' straight shots about 20-30ft off the ground.

my cmd2 comes out and has just a slight touch of high speed turn then flies crazy straight and hardly fades at all at the end, it's just about a dead straight shot the entire way. the axis however when thrown flat comes out with a bit more high speed turn then flies straight but fades right at the end. to get the axis to not fade right i had to add some hyzer and i was either getting straight flights with fade or gradual s curve flights.
If I air both out my MD2 definitely fades a bit more than the Axis. Though 30' is pretty darn high, almost 4 football goals tall (that would be 32'), I haven't tried a line that high yet.

The C-MD2 is definitely better for me when ripping all out, but that's not what I got the Axis for. I got the Axis to fill my straight finesse slot and it does that like a champ.

On all out rips it's honestly not that big of a difference. Anything less than that the Axis has the edge.If I air both out my MD2 definitely fades a bit more than the Axis. Though 30' is pretty darn high, almost 4 football goals tall (that would be 32'), I haven't tried a line that high yet.

The C-MD2 is definitely better for me when ripping all out, but that's not what I got the Axis for. I got the Axis to fill my straight finesse slot and it does that like a champ.

no that would be 40ft high, Freaking Finns

So yeah, since I got a slightly flatter and less stable (minimally lower PLH) green one along with an orange that's just at my preferred stability, I decided to pull out the electric kettle and a pot and have a look at how the dome affects these things.

First I used the suction method to get some dome going, and managed a healthy amount. Not quite as big as the pink ones, but enough for my purposes. Quick comparison showed me that the PLH was now noticeably over the orange one's, so clearly it'd be more overstable.

Then I put it on a flat surface and flattened it a bit with hot water. It's now just ever so slightly more domey than the orange one, and has minimally higher PLH. I think I'm going to leave it there, because I also noticed this:
2n71bvn.jpg

Don't know how it affects stability yet, haven't thrown it since that happened. Good to know that I can adjust it if I want to.

So if you don't care about the legality of your discs, and the Axis flies too under or overstable for you, it is quite possible to change it, and it's not hard.

My orange 179g Axis showed up in the mail today from DGC all twisted and bent (as usual, you get what you pay for). I hope it gets better.

Had to get a few field throws in before the sun went down. Flies just like a Buzzz to me. Thrown flat, it handles power without turning much and goes straight. Also holds hyzer/anhyzer lines easily.

I love my 177g blue Axis it is probably one of the most exciting disc ive thrown. My friends I play with all want one now they seen me throing mine and were asking if it had a magnet in it because it was just going strait to the basket.

Chalk up another Axis fan, five throws with this thing and I was in love. It's a 180 and I'm shocked at how easily and long this thing throws... My girlfriend hucked it and even she got it to go a nice distance.

I have a 180g orange axis almost as flat as my photon ions. I only played 9 holes today on our pitch and putt. I was intrigued it handled nicely in a 10mph wind. It held nice annies and was easy to throw straight.

This disc on my first testing held lines nicely and did well with a 10 mph wind. It was more neutral then a Z buzz but still had some fade. It was more glidy then a buzz and was a fun disc to throw.

The disc did very well for me but still needs more testing.

Cheers - Koffee

Latest posts