• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont know if this had already been covered, but since MVP is all about the rim is there a difference in stability btw proton, neutron and plasma? I threw a fh only round with my plasma envy today and I couldn't believe it held a lazer straight line up to 270. will a proton have some fade?

Occasionally there is. In volts plasmas are usually less stable. In photons protons are more stable and go further, and same goes for catalysts and octanes (stability wise, not D wise). Every envy I've thrown is straight with a bit of fade at the end. With a Fh I can believe it went just straight out to 270 or so.

And MVP has already said the vertex is a US matrix compliment

Edit: also mvp_steve confirmed the vertex shares a core with the axis.

I hope the vertex actually has axis/vector core. Not sure why it was first compared to the matrix though... To my eye, looking at PDGA's approval specs doesn't quite confirm either core, but I'd guess it's more similar to the axis than matrix (inner diameter & rim depth).

Anyway, Axis-US FTW!

I hope the vertex actually has axis/vector core. Not sure why it was first compared to the matrix though... To my eye, looking at PDGA's approval specs doesn't quite confirm either core, but I'd guess it's more similar to the axis than matrix (inner diameter & rim depth).

Anyway, Axis-US FTW!
Trhe page for the eve 150s says us matrix compliment. On Facebook they said shares axis core.

There's precedent for this with the Proxy and Atom, which are very interchangeable.

And dumb as hell.

This splitting hairs b4 new OG molds is getting old. Plus when you have two molds so close and they dont mold up perfect we are getting overlapping drivers etc.

And dumb as hell.

This splitting hairs b4 new OG molds is getting old. Plus when you have two molds so close and they dont mold up perfect we are getting overlapping drivers etc.

Yea, there is a ton of overlap with the drivers. I sound like a broken record, but again I think it's about separating the brands. Axiom, on its own, has a great lineup, although there are a couple of gaps.

And I agree that Streamline needs more (obviously), hopefully a driver in lighter weights.

If they could make a really good OS Putter and Mid they wouldn't have an actual huge hole in the line at all.

Anyway, Axis-US FTW!

Vertex is based on the Axis/Vector/everything-but-Matrix core. I was wrong and super loud about it, but I had it in my head from a long time ago. It is indeed the oldschool mid core.

i dont know if this had already been covered, but since MVP is all about the rim is there a difference in stability btw proton, neutron and plasma? I threw a fh only round with my plasma envy today and I couldn't believe it held a lazer straight line up to 270. will a proton have some fade?

From my experience Plasma is Least Stable, Neutron, then Proton.

I picked up a New ENVY in Plasma and it was immediately straighter with less fade than my Neutrons

Last edited:
Proton/Neutron are identical to me. Neutron has more grip but after that it's just color. Plasma seems to be less stable initially. But I've only thrown a Volt. My Plasma Anode flies identical to the rest.

Proton/Neutron are identical to me. Neutron has more grip but after that it's just color. Plasma seems to be less stable initially. But I've only thrown a Volt. My Plasma Anode flies identical to the rest.

For interests sake, my findings are generally the same, with notable exceptions. FWIW, I'd read the Plasma Volt was run in a lower PLH mold used for Neutron Volts, rather than the slightly higher PLH mold used for the Proton and Fission Volts which fits your findings.

Speaking generally - With MVP, I rely on weight more than plastic to adjust stability and tend to buy whatever looks easiest to find. That said, all things being equal, I'd buy a Proton to hedge my bets on more stable if that's what I was looking for. It seems to be where the more stable tweak of the Volt sits and potentially any other such tweaks.

Something to keep in mind with overmolding is that it features a core which is produced and cools separate from the wing, so the various cooling rates of Neutron, Proton, etc should have no bearing on the shape of the wing. MVP wings are all molded from the same material (presumably) being all black, which should have the similar cooling rates regardless of core, lending to the homogenous stability and consistency of a mold over various plastics and runs (perhaps their single greatest achievement).

Anyway, that's my take on it - on lunch and felt like rambling...

MVP wings are all molded from the same material (presumably) being all black

No, this is incorrect. MVP have said that the overmold material must match the core material because otherwise they can't get a good bond between them. The overmolds all look the same (more or less), but Neutron, Proton, and Plasma overmolds are actually different materials.

No, this is incorrect. MVP have said that the overmold material must match the core material because otherwise they can't get a good bond between them. The overmolds all look the same (more or less), but Neutron, Proton, and Plasma overmolds are actually different materials.

Thanks for the info, I do recall reading that as well. I wonder if that affects the core blends or the wing blends in equal measure or if there is a control group?

I do believe plasma overmolds will bond to proton and neutron.

Vertex is based on the Axis/Vector/everything-but-Matrix core. I was wrong and super loud about it, but I had it in my head from a long time ago. It is indeed the oldschool mid core.

Wait, it's the matrix core or the axis core? (Beaded or nonbeaded)?

Truth! Worst part is they have brighter proton, but they made the matrix in all horriblely hard to find colors.

i like neutron because they stick out better.

and i am still new to the whole mvp/axiom party.. still working my way through the molds to figure out what works best.

No, there are basically 4 overmold blends: one matched to Electron, one experimental urethane with Plasma vibes that can go on anything but Electron, the normal urethane that goes on Neutron/Proton/Fission/Plasma, and then a glow version of urethane used for Eclipse.

The normal black overmold can match to all the urethane/premium plastics. Only Electron/baseline needs its own formula. It only has to match a plastic family, not the subtype of plastic.

Hope that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.