• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, there are basically 4 overmold blends: one matched to Electron, one experimental urethane with Plasma vibes that can go on anything but Electron, the normal urethane that goes on Neutron/Proton/Fission/Plasma, and then a glow version of urethane used for Eclipse.

The normal black overmold can match to all the urethane/premium plastics. Only Electron/baseline needs its own formula. It only has to match a plastic family, not the subtype of plastic.

Hope that makes sense.

I stand corrected, thanks!

For interests sake, my findings are generally the same, with notable exceptions. FWIW, I'd read the Plasma Volt was run in a lower PLH mold used for Neutron Volts, rather than the slightly higher PLH mold used for the Proton and Fission Volts which fits your findings.

Speaking generally - With MVP, I rely on weight more than plastic to adjust stability and tend to buy whatever looks easiest to find. That said, all things being equal, I'd buy a Proton to hedge my bets on more stable if that's what I was looking for. It seems to be where the more stable tweak of the Volt sits and potentially any other such tweaks.

Something to keep in mind with overmolding is that it features a core which is produced and cools separate from the wing, so the various cooling rates of Neutron, Proton, etc should have no bearing on the shape of the wing. MVP wings are all molded from the same material (presumably) being all black, which should have the similar cooling rates regardless of core, lending to the homogenous stability and consistency of a mold over various plastics and runs (perhaps their single greatest achievement).

Anyway, that's my take on it - on lunch and felt like rambling...

I suppose for Volts I did notice that Proton Volts were more OS than a normal Volt. Neutron and Fission gave me the best flights. Plasma compliments it well. Anode, Vector, Axis, Ion, Insanity (Axiom), etc. do not have flight changes from Neutron/Proton in my experience. My bag is as follows:
x3 Fission Photon (140g, 150g, and 160g)
x1 Neutron Insanity
x1 Proton Insanity
x2 Fission Volt
x1 Plasma Volt
x1 Neutron Volt
x1 Neutron Clash
x1 Neutron Relay
x2 ESP Buzzz (one heavy for accuracy, one light for drives)
x1 Z Buzzz
x1 Neutron Vector
x1 Proton Vector
x3 Anode (Eclipse Soft, Electron, Plasma)
x1 Classic Soft Warden

I am in the process of swapping out those remaining Anodes for Wardens... Also gonna swap out Vectors for Hornets if I like the one I ordered. As far as MVP goes the Photons are different due to the weight and Plasma Volt is more understable. Fission for me is just longer Neutron.

Vertex is based on the Axis/Vector/everything-but-Matrix core. I was wrong and super loud about it, but I had it in my head from a long time ago. It is indeed the oldschool mid core.

Ah, excellent! I hope this means I don't have to invest in the obscene amount of time beating an Axis to nice US flight then not throwing it in fear of losing it. And I do like the tall, wide oldschool mid core for its glide and the fact that it's different enough in feel compared to the fast-core Gyro putters. You know, more like a true mid versus a hybrid.

With all the recent discussion about plastics, what do guys think about this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/03/31/68/033168107a326aeb768f86067d50cc84.jpg

(God I hope the link actually worked, my usual site was down)

So yeah, I was browsing through my local dealer's inventory when I picked this up. At first I though it was just a more opaque proton core with glitter, but then I noticed the Plasma like swirls that are unique to that plastic (at injection point and the four points at the rim)

Are there more like this out there? This core could be a mixture of plasma and proton between different plastic runs BUT I'm almost certain that it was made with plasma mold, because the bottom diameter is just a little bit wider and the inner curve between rim and flight plate is smoother -just like plasma vs. proton/neutron. I'm not sure about the rim though, the toolings were different compared to my old eclipse anode -> I guess it could also be done with plasma mold?

Whether this was intentional test or just a in-between-runs individual, I bought it with no hesitation:D Would be really cool if this was an actual thing. At least I like the opaque core more for practical purposes.

Ive seen a lot of blended plasma proton/neutron at gggt and received a few in ordera etc. There were some super nice looking vectors a few months back at gggt.

Being all the plastics seem to share the same mother it doesnt surprise me at all. Used to find some proton/neutron mixed stuff but been a while since Ive ordered proton anything or gone browsing. Nice looking anode!

An mvp clipboard....holy crap. From the day they first made the ion, I was hoping that one day they would release an official clipboard for when I record all my scores on my scorecard. This is fantastic. MVP=best company ever.

Dreams do come true, and I never lost faith once.

An mvp clipboard....holy crap. From the day they first made the ion, I was hoping that one day they would release an official clipboard for when I record all my scores on my scorecard. This is fantastic. MVP=best company ever.

Dreams do come true, and I never lost faith once.

wait wait wait......Is the clipboard in Proton or Neutron?

Anybody remember the joke I made about the dinner plate with an overmold? Just think of some of the useless things they've come out with since... Fidget spinners smdh...

I can't imagine many online retailers are buying all of these MVP accessories. Except KW, but he also has the physical store. I wonder if they're doing it more for filler merch in tourney packs, such as the Circuit (and spin off) events.

I can't imagine many online retailers are buying all of these MVP accessories. Except KW, but he also has the physical store. I wonder if they're doing it more for filler merch in tourney packs, such as the Circuit (and spin off) events.

Of course, like you said, I got some of all of the new accessories in. The Osmosis Sport Bag and Ball peaked my interest the most because I sell a TON of SportSacks and DD Dirt Bags online and in house. The glow sticks will probably sell better in house than online. Clipboards, who knows, I only got 4 of those to test the waters lol. The UV flashlight is what it is, but I'm guessing geared more towards in house sales since you can find larger LED UV lights for not much more money than this small one online. Overall, though, the majority of the accessories sell equally online and in house for me.

Anybody remember the joke I made about the dinner plate with an overmold? Just think of some of the useless things they've come out with since... Fidget spinners smdh...

I dont need to buy new dinner plates... I can just use my back up supply of ions and volts. Absolutely brilliant. Hand wash them, and they wont warp. If anything they will last longer than all my current dinnerware. And I dont ever use a knife so Im fine there.

The thing is MVP offers good prices so it is easy to carry their stuff and make $. These extras only help expand the branding as well as offer quality stuff many use. It isn't a matter of buying them all but of availability for the "things". You need to have them to keep up with big boys and might as well explore distribution avenues to pull a dollar.

I had a 143 photon in my bag for a long time and it was my distance bomber but it always felt a little odd going between that and a normal weight disc so I switched it for a wave

Does anyone else throw fission photon? The lighter MVP drivers sure fight wind better.

The Photon is my long distance driver. I carry 3 Fission and 1 Neutron.

155g Fission -- FR board flat. Super straight to fade.

163g Fission -- second run pop top. Super beat in. Distance turnover, roller, s-shot with less power

167g Fission -- second run pop-top. Newer. My long distance bomber. Straight to fade. Great wind resistance. Control s-shots. Great for hyzer shots that need glide.

155g Neutron -- super flat top. OS hyzer shots. Forehand flex shots. Long distance driver in head or cross winds.

My 160 feels like a 170 disc, my 150 is a light weight Max distance disc, but my 140g is my flippy understable distance driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts