• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

So I snagged a Detour a week or so ago, so that once my knee is fully healed I can make a video on some Comets (and the discs most like them), and I got to throw it some the other day.

Thing feels terrible in my hand. Now I know what people who hate Comets feel like! It's a half way decent Buzzz SS competitor, though. Doesn't fly much like a Comet. Where the TSA Mana has too much turn to be like a Comet, the Detour has too little. It's very good at what it does - which is go super straight.

It's like a longer Watt.
Funny, I'm a fan of MJ and would love to get a Comet with is name on it, but the grip feels horrible. Except last year I think it was a Crystal?, felt good enough. Picked up something else on my priority list. The comet was gone on my next visit.

The Detour feels good enough, turns big time on a helping crosswind and will bomb. Coming with me tomorrow for the first time, with the Proton Paradox will be helpful on several basket placements.

The Vanish we exchanged about. Found a good release point between my normal and a late release point. More turn, and fading back in for some nice skips, may or may not reach the centerline for good distance. It's also coming to the course with me tomorrow for the first time. Returning to a course for the first time in 18 months with a variety of looks off the tee, should do well there.

Funny, I'm a fan of MJ and would love to get a Comet with is name on it, but the grip feels horrible. Except last year I think it was a Crystal?, felt good enough. Picked up something else on my priority list. The comet was gone on my next visit.

The Detour feels good enough, turns big time on a helping crosswind and will bomb. Coming with me tomorrow for the first time, with the Proton Paradox will be helpful on several basket placements.

The Vanish we exchanged about. Found a good release point between my normal and a late release point. More turn, and fading back in for some nice skips, may or may not reach the centerline for good distance. It's also coming to the course with me tomorrow for the first time. Returning to a course for the first time in 18 months with a variety of looks off the tee, should do well there.
If I remember right, OTB still has those Cryztal Sparkle Comets in stock. Ledgestone probably does, as well. It really is a nice feeling blend of plastic, though ti does get a bit more slick as time goes on...

The Detour feels, to me, somehow too flat on top - but uncomfortably so. The Hex feels good in my hand, but the shape of the lip/shoulder on the Detour makes a similar shape feel...wrong.

I'm hoping I can beat my Vanish into a better disc than it is, so far - but if I have to beat it a ton to get to its flight numbers, that means I can't replace it easily. Meanwhile, 150 class Waves are doing good work for my gentle re-entry into throwing, and in learning forehand...

@lee76007 lee check these out, on sale! If you like pink

My favourite of the new runs, haven't thrown a crystal though.
Hmm, I've gripped both Metallic and Crystal. Now I'm not sure which one felt good enough. I wouldn't dare order online not knowing for sure, I'll have to start looking again at PIAS. Yes, I'll take any disc pink, easy to find.

I just saw the two most expensive MVP/Axiom disc yet on OTB. A Varient Foil Prism Neutron Trance and a Proton Tempo at 35 dollars per. The Tempo sold out within a few hours. Sounds like a cosmetic upgrade, no thank you.

So I snagged a Detour a week or so ago, so that once my knee is fully healed I can make a video on some Comets (and the discs most like them), and I got to throw it some the other day.

Thing feels terrible in my hand. Now I know what people who hate Comets feel like! It's a half way decent Buzzz SS competitor, though. Doesn't fly much like a Comet. Where the TSA Mana has too much turn to be like a Comet, the Detour has too little. It's very good at what it does - which is go super straight.

It's like a longer Watt.
What the hell are you fondling? Cause its not a detour. Feels like a reactor to me.

What the hell are you fondling? Cause its not a detour. Feels like a reactor to me.
Feels like a Neutron Reactor to me, more turn with the Detour. Only used it once this morning on the tee, turning it kicking off a tree into C1, looked nice doing it.

Picked up on the way home from today's rounds. Spent a short time on the practice field. On the left.

Plasma Amp 175g patent pending #5. A few throws showed a nice turn fading back, perhaps eventually a sustained turn like the Neutron Amp 174g.

Prism Plasma Wrath SE 161g. The Prism grip lured me. Turns, hooks back with skip. Can't wait to throw it in crosswind . I think I'll be picking up a heavier Neutron, it will be one of two freebies.

From the past few weeks. In the middle.

Prism Plasma Envy SE 175g. I'm happy with the stock I've had for almost two years. But that color and stamp couldn't pass it up. The grip is better, and putting the two up together the SE rim is bigger. SE is dead straight, Stock now gives me a big turn.

Electron Volt 174g. I've been looking for one. The plastic feels different from any other Electron I've had, kind of rubbery? Seems to be a much older disc, picked it up for $5. Straight with ending fade skip. Will be used in heavily wooded courses with the Electron Matrix and Terra.

Last photo earned enough store credit to pick up both for free, and cross off my wishlist.

Neutron Sarah Hokom Crave 169g has a pop top. I can see why Silva Saarinen uses them off the tee, it flies. And also the consistent preaching by @Sheep .

Neutron Insanity 166g settle turn nice fade just outside my Proton 165g

This past winter the age thing started creeping in, enough to where I started trading my Innova 13 and 14 speeds for lower speeds, and there now gone. So I'm looking ahead in the coming years. I've had both Plasma Crave and Insanity for two years, same disc, they get used alot. I started picking up the other plastics in those molds earlier in the year. All other MVP Axiom molds are now being built around the Insanity and Crave, and the already established Wave, and including the Hex and Envy. Other brands include a few Innova, Horizon Discmania, and a VIP Northman all for heavier wind.

It's been fun. The process is never ending

Attachments

• 20240625_120621.jpg
    20240625_120621.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240621_130848.jpg
    20240621_130848.jpg
  • 20240618_115736.jpg
    20240618_115736.jpg
Neutron Sarah Hokom Crave 169g has a pop top. I can see why Silva Saarinen uses them off the tee, it flies. And also the consistent preaching by @Sheep .
Played Idlewild with my cousin Nathan this past week who put a Leopard in the water early. Gave him my Hokom Crave and it suited him beautifully, so much so that it has a new permanent home. I don't know how she throws those things so well on the FH, but it's a killer.

Played Idlewild with my cousin Nathan this past week who put a Leopard in the water early. Gave him my Hokom Crave and it suited him beautifully, so much so that it has a new permanent home. I don't know how she throws those things so well on the FH, but it's a killer.
All I know is that the Crave is a workhorse backhand and forehand. I put it past the pin on a hole I would be lucky to get in C1 with normally, and mashed it 320' on a standstill forehand just trying an experiment. Yeah those Eclipse Craves are pretty good I tell ya!

The craves ability to work with a bad forehand is really impressive.

Some discs are just so different. The crave is like "I got you, just give me a good pop flick, i'm there bro" (or bro-ette, whatever)

I got a trail on Monday but it's too hot to throw. Also have a stock detour coming later this week. I liked the Gyropalooza one's but it was a bit too flippy and I heard that there is potential the stock run will be a bit more stable compared to that first run.. Here's to hoping. I'd love to have something to pair with my Reactor that isn't as far away as an uplink when it comes to stability.

I got a trail on Monday but it's too hot to throw. Also have a stock detour coming later this week. I liked the Gyropalooza one's but it was a bit too flippy and I heard that there is potential the stock run will be a bit more stable compared to that first run.. Here's to hoping. I'd love to have something to pair with my Reactor that isn't as far away as an uplink when it comes to stability.
My Detour Stock is stable, and has a nice turn. The grip reminds me of a Neutron Reactor.

Are you saying the stock and gyropalooza detour feel different?
I haven't gripped the Detour gyropalooza. What I can tell you theirs a used 2021 gyropalooza Uplink at PIAS that grips like crap compared to a Neutron Soft Uplink that feels good.
In my experience MVP is missing on gripping with some new releases, and correcting on following restocks. Recently Pixel and Time lapse.

By the way, how's it going with the MCO, and have you done any putting with it.

I haven't gripped the Detour gyropalooza. What I can tell you theirs a used 2021 gyropalooza Uplink at PIAS that grips like crap compared to a Neutron Soft Uplink that feels good.
In my experience MVP is missing on gripping with some new releases, and correcting on following restocks. Recently Pixel and Time lapse.

By the way, how's it going with the MCO, and have you done any putting with it.
Oh man those 21 uplinks are awesome, most understable uplink made to date. My preference is the 180 soft though, I like to pair them together if im big bagging it.

The MCO has been pretty good, my first soft pixel has got a lot of turn now. Of course I putt with it haha, been good for putt and approach. My bicep/shoulder are pretty hooped right now so I'm not throwing for results or consostency, I'm throwing for fun haha in the least injurious way possible.

The craves ability to work with a bad forehand is really impressive.

Some discs are just so different. The crave is like "I got you, just give me a good pop flick, i'm there bro" (or bro-ette, whatever)
I only throw backhand so far, but I love my Crave. You're telling me, if/when I ever get a forehand, I'll love it even more?! Dang, it just might be the best disc ever made! I ran it yesterday about 150', around some trees, and dropped it on the pole. One of several good shots with it. It saves my lack of distance on my drives. Only time it ever fails me, is when I fail to throw it decent.

Latest posts