• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Eclipse Glow Proton Ion

I think that's what I mean though Mike... I was expecting them to glow better than my other glow discs. The concept made sense: put a concentration of magical lightning bug butt juice in just the rim as opposed to spread throughout the disc and it will glow brighter and longer... I'll keep trying. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I have found that they take a little longer to get to their full intensity but last way longer than other glow discs I have (Innova Champ Glow and Z Glow). I think other discs look as bright or brighter due to the fact that all of the disc is glowing rather than just the rim. Saying all that though, at night these ions glow great and are amazing to watch glowing in the air.

Mine worked better with a regular flashlight than a uv light. It takes a while too.

Choosing a bulb to charge your glow in the dark items

Mine worked better with a regular flashlight than a uv light. It takes a while too.

:thmbup:

The brightness and type of bulb determines the efficiency at which phosphorescent material charges. Efficient bulbs not only charge faster, but can obtain a brighter level of glow.

A black light shining on a glow surface for 30 seconds will cause that surface to be 10 times brighter than a flashlight on it for 6 hours.

Here is a simple list of bulbs in order from least to most efficient:

White LED's
Blue/Purple LED's
Incandescent - standard light bulb
Compact Fluorescent or CFL - spiral tube, screw-in
Fluorescent Bulbs - long tubes
UV LED's
Black Light Tube
Direct Sunlight

The efficiency of light as a phosphorescent charging source is determined by its brightness and its spectrum. White light is comprised of equal amounts of all of the colors, such as red, green, and blue. White light bulbs typically also emit ultraviolet (UV) light, which is the "color" above purple in the spectrum, which humans can not see.

Each part of the spectrum effects glow in the dark materials differently.

Red light actually discharges the glow pigments.
Green light is neutral.
Blue Light inefficiently charges the pigments.
Ultraviolet light charges the pigments efficiently.

A standard incandescent light bulb emits similar amounts of the four colors above. The green does not effect the glow pigments. The red discharges and the blue charges in similar amounts, which results in a cancelation. The result is that only the ultraviolet is working to charge the phosphorescent pigments.

Therefore, when using a 100 watt incandescent light bulb as a charging source, only about 10-25 watts are working to actually charge the pigment. Therefore, a 60 watt black light bulb will far outperform the higher powered white light.

The efficiency of white light can be determined by the ratios of the colors contained. "Warm" lights contain more red and therefore are poor for charging glow in the dark items. "Cool" or "Daylight" bulbs contain more blue and therefore are slightly more efficient. Fluorescent bulbs, both CFL and tube style, naturally emit more ultraviolet light, which makes them more efficient.

Black lights have another major advantage. White light bulbs cause the human eye to adjust to the bright light. When the light is removed, it takes 15 minutes for human eyes to adjust back to the darkness. If your eyes are adjusted for a bright room, then even the brightest phosphorescent material will appear dim when the light is removed.

Black lights do not cause your eyes to readjust. For most applications, this will cause the glow in the dark materials to "appear" considerably brighter.

The final major consideration is direct vs. reflected light. Many ceiling fixtures are designed to point light down onto a room. Therefore, the only light reaching the glow in the dark stars on your ceiling is reflected. Reflected light is extremely inefficient for charging.

This holds true for sunlight entering through a window. While a room inside may look bright, it is mostly from reflected light. This is also why glow in the dark house numbers on a west-facing house are brighter at 10pm than an east-facing house.

A frequently asked question at Glow Inc. is "How long does it take to get a full charge" The easy answer is that any of our products will be at their maximum charge from any light source in 20 minutes. However, that is a useless answer.

"Maximum Charge" will change depending on the light source. A black light on for seconds can cause our products to glow brighter than an incandescent bulb lit for 10 hours. Of course, the speed of charge is also determined by the light source.

A "full charge" is also a hard statement. Under black light, most pigments will get to 80% of their charge within seconds, 90% over 30 seconds, 95% over about 2 minutes, 100% in about 10 minutes.

This is further complicated by the size of the pigment. Larger pigments can glow brighter and longer, but charge slower.

In conclusion, use a black light if possible. If white light is needed use CFL "Daylight" bulbs.
http://glowinc.com/glow-in-the-dark/light-source.aspx

theres cheap portable black lights on ebay ,less than 10 bucks but i dont know how good they are.

sidenote:

im liking my glow ions! these are the first ions ive bought since the 1st run and 2nd run came out. much better feeling and the soft glows seem to be grippy too! all of my softs seem to have a slightly concave top like yeti aviars. i dont know if this is how they all are but i love it! gives me extra grip in thumb pressure and just the right softness. these things are fun to throw and are bright as hell in the daytime and night time. nothing but compliments on these new bad boys so the trial period shall continue.

Last edited:
Lovin my glow Ions for night rounds. Coupled with a single LED and a UV flashlight, they're hands-down the best discs I've ever used when it gets dark!

I haven't even had a chance to play a glow round with my Ions yet, but I've been throwing the heck out of them and loving them in the daytime nonetheless. I can boom my soft 171 as far as any other MVP disc I own, and my medium 175 is now next in line to be my main putter. I love the way the look. The white overmolds really make them pop in the daytime compared to the black overmolds.

On an unrelated note...I just got contacts and I've been wearing polarized sunglasses when I play golf. The clear MVP discs seem to glow magically with the glasses on and I can always tell which disc in mine from far away. My Lat/Westside discs pop as well.

In case anyone is interested here's the light I use for glow rounds: http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Level-190-Lumen-Flashlight/dp/B002WQM742

I cary it every day, it's really handy to have in general. I use the first setting which is around 80 or 90 lumens, but the 190 lumen setting really lights a disc up.

Another tip is don't try to light up the whole rim evenly. If you hold the light at noon for 5 seconds, then slowly slide it across the rim to 3 o clock, 6 o clock and 9 o clock, you'll have 4 really bright corners with dim light in the middle instead of a dimly lit rim.

Also, close your eyes while you use the LED lights so you don't kill your night vision.

I read a thread earlier comparing this to a Wizard. So has this disc completely replaced the HPP Wizard for driving in your opinions? I'm so close to trying one out for drives/mid shots. I don't think I'll convert for strictly putting though... Those things are sweet looking! Anyone have a blue glow? How do those look in person?

Made my first trip to marshall street today and although i got major points from the wife, i am bummed i got out of that shop without buying armfuls of MVP discs. I fondled the sh*t out of the glow Ions and maaaan are those things PURDY.

Made my first trip to marshall street today and although i got major points from the wife, i am bummed i got out of that shop without buying armfuls of MVP discs. I fondled the sh*t out of the glow Ions and maaaan are those things PURDY.

:thmbup: