• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP heavy duty basket - 30 chain "Portal"

Oh BTW anyone wanting the specs it was approved...

PDGA Approved Portal Coming Summer 2016

The Black Hole™ Portal is our upcoming course-quality flagship basket, expected for release in Summer 2016. The Portal will be available in two configurations -- with a portable base, or with a permanent installation kit. We will offer special pricing for 9 hole and 18 hole courses when all baskets are purchased together.

The Black Hole™ Portal is PDGA Approved at the Championship level, making it eligible for all PDGA events. The Portal is officially good enough to decide disc golf's world champion!

A single basket is anticipated to retail between $400-$450.

Special pricing for 9 or 18 course sets.

In the video they said they were going to price it "very aggressively". That doesn't sound aggressive at all. That's as much or more than all the other brand's top baskets. For example the Mach X portable is $445.

I'm just hoping it's less. I was planning on getting one because of the aggressive pricing comment and they look awesome.

The discount pricing will begin with bulk orders of 9 or 18 for course installation. According to MVP, these baskets will basically be the best deal on the market.

And if they are as good as they claim, $400 for personal use, although expensive, should be worth it.

news_160613_feature82504.jpg

news_160613_feature82504.jpg
news_160613_dealerpreview82501.jpg

news_160613_dealerpreview82501.jpg

Any course designers feel free to PM or contact through site in signature for a quote on 9/18+ hole course packages.

Assembled my Portal this morning and took a dozen putts or so before work. Here are some initial impressions....
-Hefty unit, seems sturdy and generally well built.
-The pole is not as thick walled as my Mach X, IIRC, but I don't see that being an issue.
-The chain design appears to be really good, there aren't many, if any gaps where you can see the pole through the web.
-The way the chains hung from the upper web is via welded on washers. You can't see them unless you walk right up and look at the top assembly. I suspect this was a compromise between weight and how to achieve the desired tiers of chain. I don't think it looks bad, but it is different. The Prodigy basket, and perhaps one of the DDs, have more, bent rods in the top to get the same effect, albeit with substantial weight adds.
-Both the chain and the hardware are Stainless steel, and the basket comes with simple tools for assembly.
-All (3) components (stand, basket, top) are through bolted, and have set screws for a 3rd point of contact.
-The basket is every bit the equal of the Mach X Trapper design.
-The plastic cap in the top seems much more permanent than the DGA ones, and isn't concave, so it won't hold water.
-It caught extremely well on the few putts I took. The chains seemed to decelerate the disc in stages, as it got into the array further. Obviously, tiny sample size, but favorable.
-There is a chip on the top edge of the black powdercoating of the band. If it becomes an issue, I may pursue a warranty or DIY fix. I don't look for that to happen.

All in all, I am very pleased with the Portal thus far, and look forward to more time with it.
If you have specific questions, I am happy to try and answer them.

KP

Having putted on the Portal for a week now, thought I would follow up. Probably about 600 putts total now. For reference, I am a heavy spin putter. When I putt well, I want to hit dead center of the pole, about 6" above the basket lip. By no means do all of my attempts hit that mark, but that is where I want a basket to catch 100%. The Portal has had exactly zero bounce outs when I was "on target". I might even rate it better than a Discatcher Pro in that regard, though I do not own one for comparisons sake. I have seen spit outs on the DPro from that zone, and the Prodigy Basket can definitely bounce out on a hard low putt.
I have had zero spitouts or blow throughs wherein the disc went all the way through the chains and out the back either. I am intentionally putting flat, so I couldn't speak to what might happen with a putt that had more hyzer on it.
I won't call it a surprise, but if the Portal has an area that it "rejects" or doesn't catch as well, it is high in the chains, and towards the outside. That zone can be (and frankly should be) hit or miss (haha) with any target, though occasionally both a DPro and a MachX will snag one that might not have been a good putt.
In summary, the two most important traits in a basket that I look for are one that catches good putts well, and is durable in the elements. The Portal catches good putts extremely well for my style, and I suspect that my initial impressions of the build quality mean that it will last well too. Happy customer with my shiny new Portal.
If you have any specific questions, or are considering purchasing one or more Portals, feel free to ask or PM me if I can help.

KP

Latest posts