• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Resistor

I am going to be honest with everyone. I do not own MVP. I have thrown their discs and everything from their putters to their fairways just do not feel comfortable in my hand. As a matter of fact the only overmold that does feel good in my hand is the Nova, and I think this disc even has some work to be done before it is perfect(or as perfect as it can be.) The Atlas is another overmold that just does not feel right to me. Would I try MVP again? You betcha.

I am not necessarily saying that on here MVP fans have been rude or dbish, but boy on other sites, they certainly have. On here I have actually learned about the discs instead of just seeing MVP is the best, just throw them. Which is why I appreciate this site so much.

Being newer to this sport, I have been working on some issues. Now that I have solved some of my problems I will probably try MVP again. Especially their mids and putters, mids being my weekspot as of right now. Shoot I may even try an Amp or a Volt just to see if I can get them out like my other fairways. If I can with more accuracy more consistently then they might win some spots in my bag.

Do you know whats weirder than MVP fanboys? All the people that seem to have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to MVP. I don't mean you in particular...but look at the Atlas thread for example. Everyone was all "OMG the MVP fanbois are gonna cry and scream and go nuts and wail and gnash their teeth!"

And they didn't.

I don't get it. I obviously like their discs, they make up the majority of my bag. I could throw all Innova or Prodigy or Discraft and still be a solid player, I just happen to really like their discs. I like every disc in Prodigy's line-up, I like Rocs, Wizards, Comets, Gazelles, Destroyers etc., but a bag is only so big and a golfer only needs so many discs.

MVP attracts a weird breed of anti-fanboy I haven't seen other companies get. I feel like there are people out there rooting for them to mess up, that want them to fail, and I just don't get it. MVP is just two golfers with some neat ideas that had the oppurtunity to produce those ideas, and things took off from there. They are incredibly nice guys that have sent me a christmas card and remember which colors I like for specific molds when they send me stuff.

Have some of their fans been douchey? Sure, I've even called some of them out because I thought they were being silly. But when someone tels me I should drop Ions for Aviars because thats what pros use and Innova is the key to sucess with Disc Golf, it doesn't make me hate Dave D, it doesn't make me want the Atlas or Nova or whatever new disc they make to fail, and it doesn't bother me if someone prefers different discs than me in the slightest.

I just don't understand why anyone would be bothered by what they are doing. There are only two negatives I can associate with MVP. One is sometimes a small handful of their fans can be overbearing. Every company gets these types of fanboys, you can't fault the companies themselves. Second, FR Shocks weren't what we were expecting, but they addressed that 100% in a timely manner and offered to replace defective FR's.

Why people asociate MVP with consistency isn't because they are perfect. Its because they try to be. That is a different mindset than I fel like some companies have. I do not care to name names or molds, but I will say I have bought discs that were not x outs with the following:

- Very big dimples in the flight plate of a putter. Ordered 8 putters and 3 were like this.
- Been unable to find a certain putter in identical plastic to the one I owned.
- Had a certain distance driver fly terribly inconsistent, with flights paths anywhere between a Nuke OS and a seasoned Roadrunner when new.
- Had a fairway driver fly straight and stable, got my longest ace with it, then a week of normal use later it did nothing but flip, so I couldn't try to re-attempt that ace. Champ/Z style plastic too.
- Have been unable to determine whether I would get a flat or slanted rim when ordering a certain midrange online.
- Have had discs be 10 grams off their marked weight. And more....

I was disc shopping today and the shop had a scale where you could verify sticker weights. One of the Ions I bought was 2 grams off the sticker weight. I told my girl thats surprising, I weigh every disc I get from them and I have never seen them be off by more than a gram. At least 95% of the MVP discs I own are within .5 grams of the sticker.

I have never seen someone claim MVP was perfect and makes no mistakes besides trolls / anti-fanboys arguing against that claim. This is the story of MVP on the internet. Someone comes and whines about how MVP fanboys say this and that, but no one ever even said it, they just made it up.

I just don't understand it at all. Sorry for this long rant, its just been inside of me for a while and again its not directed at you, but at all of us. Throw whatever you want, let your neighbor do the same, and lets just golf.

Well said. I feel people think it's an all or nothing thing with MVP which is pretty crazy. I could see my bag becoming almost mainly MVP but at the same time I know my wizards and buzzz are never leaving. And just because they make my favorite disc (Neutron Volt) doesn't mean they're the end all disc company for me, I just get excited each time they have a new release and think they have some exciting things in the future for their line up.

Well said. I feel people think it's an all or nothing thing with MVP which is pretty crazy. I could see my bag becoming almost mainly MVP but at the same time I know my wizards and buzzz are never leaving. And just because they make my favorite disc (Neutron Volt) doesn't mean they're the end all disc company for me, I just get excited each time they have a new release and think they have some exciting things in the future for their line up.

They do make good stuff...I would even reason that they have a little something for everyone. All MVP bags, at this point, I think are very doable, especially for something with more skill than I. I've gone back and forth with MVP, and the only disc they have released that I didn't bag for a good amount of time was the Amp (it just felt weird in my hands). I feel like I've taken what are, in my opinion, the two best molds (Volt and Tensor) and are now staples in my bag. I may even give Ions another go, since I still have a stack of them and the textured bottom Ions are money for me as a spin putter.

Now, it's been touched on a few times here but I think the more exciting news than this driver itself being released is the weight issue. The fact that they are getting them down into the 160s is very exciting news indeed. I'd love to see some 150 class MVP discs and I think they will do that well before they release the much longed for distance driver. It's exciting for me because I think my wife would do well with the Axis, Tangent and Amp if they were in the 150-160 weight range. I've had her throw them before and she liked the feel but not the weight.

In addition, getting their discs into 150 class will open them up to a whole new market...Japan. Japanese would kill for these, I'm sure...bright colors, fancy technology that isn't just hyperbole, last damn near forever...perfect for that market. There are TONS of players in Japan and I could see, without exaggeration, MVP being the top seller there within four or five years IF MVP can get into that 150 class. If they can get them down to 160, another few grams shouldn't be too much of a problem. And with the Gyro tech I bet they would fly almost the same as their max weight counterparts, unlike what happens when other manufacturers reduce weight.

Not that MVP is in danger of going out of business or anything like that, but that opens up a huge potential profit for them, even given that they would have to charge extra for the shipping and tariffs. This, in turn, could lead to them having a sponsored pro team (MikeC, anyone?) as well as hosting events...possibly even Ace Race type stuff.

Sounds exciting, no?

They do make good stuff...I would even reason that they have a little something for everyone. All MVP bags, at this point, I think are very doable, especially for something with more skill than I. I've gone back and forth with MVP, and the only disc they have released that I didn't bag for a good amount of time was the Amp (it just felt weird in my hands). I feel like I've taken what are, in my opinion, the two best molds (Volt and Tensor) and are now staples in my bag. I may even give Ions another go, since I still have a stack of them and the textured bottom Ions are money for me as a spin putter.

Now, it's been touched on a few times here but I think the more exciting news than this driver itself being released is the weight issue. The fact that they are getting them down into the 160s is very exciting news indeed. I'd love to see some 150 class MVP discs and I think they will do that well before they release the much longed for distance driver. It's exciting for me because I think my wife would do well with the Axis, Tangent and Amp if they were in the 150-160 weight range. I've had her throw them before and she liked the feel but not the weight.

In addition, getting their discs into 150 class will open them up to a whole new market...Japan. Japanese would kill for these, I'm sure...bright colors, fancy technology that isn't just hyperbole, last damn near forever...perfect for that market. There are TONS of players in Japan and I could see, without exaggeration, MVP being the top seller there within four or five years IF MVP can get into that 150 class. If they can get them down to 160, another few grams shouldn't be too much of a problem. And with the Gyro tech I bet they would fly almost the same as their max weight counterparts, unlike what happens when other manufacturers reduce weight.

Not that MVP is in danger of going out of business or anything like that, but that opens up a huge potential profit for them, even given that they would have to charge extra for the shipping and tariffs. This, in turn, could lead to them having a sponsored pro team (MikeC, anyone?) as well as hosting events...possibly even Ace Race type stuff.

Sounds exciting, no?
Oh man, if they did an Ace Race like event I would be in heaven. Also I agree, even as new as I am I can see their being a big market for lighter weight disc. Especially helps people like me get their form down better.

I play at Lemon Lake pretty often and the gentleman who runs the pro shop says they're PR is pretty amazing. They always listen to what he has to say, gets him what he wants for orders and gives him a lot of free hand outs. I could see them doing some events in the future for sure, a killer PR helps so much in this day and age.

http://communitydiscs.com/Resistor/

The pre-orders are open. Free shipping if you order by Thursday too.

Thanks! This is great, I wasn't going to order it until spring (it's getting dark and cold here in Finland), but that offer is great, free shipping also to Europe, so it's actually cheaper to buy it from US than from here (would be around 15€ + shipping). :)

edit: It seems that I get an AVS mismatch when trying to pay with my Visa... :(

Oh man, if they did an Ace Race like event I would be in heaven. Also I agree, even as new as I am I can see their being a big market for lighter weight disc. Especially helps people like me get their form down better.

I play at Lemon Lake pretty often and the gentleman who runs the pro shop says they're PR is pretty amazing. They always listen to what he has to say, gets him what he wants for orders and gives him a lot of free hand outs. I could see them doing some events in the future for sure, a killer PR helps so much in this day and age.

They are a very personable company. They also listen to what their fans have to say, which is a huge bonus and something some companies don't do/are too big to do (though Innova has really been on fire with it's Factory Store releases...)

Lightweight MVP discs are a license to make money. But the folks at MVP, I'm sure, won't release them unless they are as close to perfect as can be. I may have sounded a bit harsh on them for consistency stuff earlier in the thread, but there's no hate here. They are just like any manufacturer...sometimes, small mistakes happen. But the majority of the disc golf market would never care.

MVP+lightweight discs+Japan=big business. Mark my words. If they go 150 class, within five years they will be the biggest brand in Asia. That's a near-guarantee.

Nope. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, well, uh, dont get fooled again. (Seriously, how hilarious was it that Bush 43 was our President?) Seriously though, they never had a problem with their putters or mids. Just drivers. And ita been every driver, just that the Shock was a bigger mistake than usual. Remember the flippy volts and the stable Amps? Yeah, dont pretend it didnt happen! I see you there...looking away....

But I clearly like MVP. I just dont LOVE MVP like some folks do. I like the Volt. I like the Tensor. But not every MVP disc is a winner. And they arent the model if consistency. They are just a regular disc maufacturer like anyone else.

If this disc turns out to be a good one, Ill try it
Other wise, Im not blowing money on something that might be crap or not fly like uts supposed to.

:thmbup::clap:
So happy someone else realizes this. I neither hate nor love mvp. I think they are not anything special. They make discs. So do many other companies. They are not the be all end all to disc making. They make mistakes. What irritates me is when MVP makes a mistake it is supposed to be OK because they are new or something. At least that is what the fanboys want everyone to think. But let one other company make a mistake and watch out because here come all the MVP folks screaming and yelling how this or that company sucks because they made a mistake.

Anyone who "realizes" this evidently has trouble seeing the difference between this:
images

and this:
images

See, MVP discs are made of TWO pieces. They have to be molded twice, which means they incur double the risk of molding inconsistencies that other companies' discs do. SO if they were the SAME as other companies, they would have twice the inconsistencies. In other words, MVP discs have to be twice as consistent as one piece manufacturers to even put out similarly consistent products. For MVP to be MORE consistent that one piece manufacturers means that they are doing A LOT OF THINGS DIFFERENTLY.

Andy...You were here during that whole Shock period where you got straight answers (as well as the opportunity to trade in FR Shocks for fixed ones), correct? MVP (via us) provided some very detailed info (more than you would ever get from another company) into the issues they had with the drivers. I say issues rather than mistakes because mistake connotes carelessness. MVP has only had "issues" when doing things that NOBODY ELSE has ever done. They aren't making "mistakes" while reverse engineering something someone else has been doing for years.

I do love MVP, and it is largely because of all the things they do differently from the established manufacturers...This doesn't make me want to rip on other manufacturers or claim that MVP are going to outfly everything for everyone. I will however defend them against the misinformed and haters.

Now, it's been touched on a few times here but I think the more exciting news than this driver itself being released is the weight issue. The fact that they are getting them down into the 160s is very exciting news indeed. I'd love to see some 150 class MVP discs . . .

I like MVP and wish the company well, but I no longer throw MVP discs because of the difficulty in finding replacements around 165 grams (putters and midranges). They seem to produce a few light discs in the early production runs, and then only produce higher weights after they refine the production process.

Oh, well :(

I like MVP and wish the company well, but I no longer throw MVP discs because of the difficulty in finding replacements around 165 grams (putters and midranges). They seem to produce a few light discs in the early production runs, and then only produce higher weights after they refine the production process.

Oh, well :(

i spent about 5 minutes just now checking a couple websites i buy discs from and i can find 166-169 in almost every mold i looked at.

Weight doesn't change much with MVP anyways.

I met the brothers about a month ago. Really cool & down-to-earth guys. Played a round with them and they are pretty good. I'll try one out for sure.

Anyone who "realizes" this evidently has trouble seeing the difference between this:
images

and this:
images

See, MVP discs are made of TWO pieces. They have to be molded twice, which means they incur double the risk of molding inconsistencies that other companies' discs do. SO if they were the SAME as other companies, they would have twice the inconsistencies. In other words, MVP discs have to be twice as consistent as one piece manufacturers to even put out similarly consistent products. For MVP to be MORE consistent that one piece manufacturers means that they are doing A LOT OF THINGS DIFFERENTLY.

Andy...You were here during that whole Shock period where you got straight answers (as well as the opportunity to trade in FR Shocks for fixed ones), correct? MVP (via us) provided some very detailed info (more than you would ever get from another company) into the issues they had with the drivers. I say issues rather than mistakes because mistake connotes carelessness. MVP has only had "issues" when doing things that NOBODY ELSE has ever done. They aren't making "mistakes" while reverse engineering something someone else has been doing for years.

I do love MVP, and it is largely because of all the things they do differently from the established manufacturers...This doesn't make me want to rip on other manufacturers or claim that MVP are going to outfly everything for everyone. I will however defend them against the misinformed and haters.

+1. Well said

I met the brothers about a month ago. Really cool & down-to-earth guys. Played a round with them (Chad and Brad, not the Resistor) and they are pretty good. I'll try one out for sure.

Edit,
but they might have had one already in their bags

i spent about 5 minutes just now checking a couple websites i buy discs from and i can find 166-169 in almost every mold i looked at.
What sites? I checked Disc Golf Center, Marshall Street, and Disc Nation (I prefer sites that list exact weight and color), and did not see any of the putters or midranges I am interested in (Axis, Tangent, Ion, Anode) in soft or proton between 165-167.

What sites are you seeing these light MVP discs? I like drivers even lighter, 160-165. Have you seen any of those?

discspeed: they are mistakes, it happens. I'm not dragging MVP through the mud...you know I throw some MVP discs. And trust me, I know the difference between a damn Shark3 and an MVP disc. They are a good company. But so are every other manufacturer. There are no evil corporations in disc golf. MVP is producing discs a different way than most other companies. Some have tried the overmold before (and after..cough, cough Innova) MVP debuted, but not with the quality they have put out. (Though I do love the Atlas, it's completely different than an MVP disc)

All that being said (or typed, rather) what I said was that I'm not pre-ordering the Resistor. I don't see why that's a big deal. I can buy it later. I don't think MVP is going out of business anytime soon. I just prefer to wait and see some results/reviews before I get this disc. It's not something I need in my bag at the moment, so there's no reason for me to jump all over it.

That's all. No big deal.

Why do the work yourself when you can watch Mike C dominate like the rest of us? :)

Because I have a John Everyman arm and a penchant for descriptive writing? :\

Nah, it's b/c I want to play with new MVP goodies every few months or so. :D

I'm dyin for Mike C to test an MVP disc and have it be too flippy for him, that's the disc I want. :)
Seriously though I'm really excited about lower weights even if they are touting the Resistor as a stable flyer. From what I've experienced with MVP just because they say it's stable doesn't mean it won't turn over and with an option to go as low as 160G and a speed rating of a fairway rather than distance driver it should require less armspeed. Stable workability at low weights= Awesome, this is exactly what I've been hoping for. I have to admit I am a bit of a sucker for their stuff I like to support them, Chad and Brad put a face on the company so I tend to buy everything they punch out at least once (except the Shock), better they get my fun money then Innova.

Of course when they first started I bought straight off Ebay from Brad and I told him I didn't care what color my Ion was just make it easy to find in the bush... damn things flesh/dirt colored. Oh well that was a dozen Ions ago.

Last edited:
I'm getting pretty stoked that these are available in lighter weights. I figure I'll pick up a 165 when DGC releases theirs. Hopefully they get some of the new light blue, or purple colors.

Not trying to throw water on the fire, but are we sure they will be available in light weights on this first run? I recall seeing Community listing them at 173-177, unless that was info that was pasted wrong from something else.

Latest posts