• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

Seriously though if you had to choose one.. It's so difficult. I trust my Neutron more but the Proton offers a more consistent flight path (I get less distance though with Proton).. It's so tough to choose. Today when playing I wanted to throw Proton because it just called out to me but I decided to go with Neutron.

Downhill the two discs flew identical.. Well 5' with the Neutron! :)

Seriously though if you had to choose one.. It's so difficult. I trust my Neutron more but the Proton offers a more consistent flight path (I get less distance though with Proton).. It's so tough to choose. Today when playing I wanted to throw Proton because it just called out to me but I decided to go with Neutron.

Downhill the two discs flew identical.. Well 5' with the Neutron! :)

Can you explain by what you mean when you say you trust the Neutron more, but the Proton is more consistent? Wouldn't the disc that is more consistent be the one you trust more, or am I missing something? I am also trying to decide between a neutron and proton volt.

Can you explain by what you mean when you say you trust the Neutron more, but the Proton is more consistent? Wouldn't the disc that is more consistent be the one you trust more, or am I missing something? I am also trying to decide between a neutron and proton volt.

I have thrown Neutron for so long. Just sometimes it'll do an S-Curve and other times it'll fly like a Teebird by my doing so. It's an awesome disc and I trust it for a bunch of shots. The Proton Just does the same thing every time. I can't really alter the flight path to make it any different.. Plus we have all had the Neutron longer. Start off with Neutron and then buy a Proton. Both are great though and fly different.

I have thrown Neutron for so long. Just sometimes it'll do an S-Curve and other times it'll fly like a Teebird by my doing so. It's an awesome disc and I trust it for a bunch of shots. The Proton Just does the same thing every time. I can't really alter the flight path to make it any different.. Plus we have all had the Neutron longer. Start off with Neutron and then buy a Proton. Both are great though and fly different.

I've found the proton to be more teebirdy. And yes, the proton is a good amount more stable, enough so I like to carry both.

I'd say get both and beat in the neutron more quickly.

I think the seasoned neutron is more versatile, covers more lines, but the proton volt is more predictable and fun to throw 50' past my buddies tbird on the same line xD

You guys obviously have not seen the light-- Proton Volt is all hype.

light_at_end_of_tunnel61.jpg

anyone notice that the newer Volts (neutron and proton) are much flatter than volts when they first came out? I bought a few when they first came out and have lost all but one. I went to go buy more and they are alll totally different. Little bummed about it because i love the disc. The newer neutrons are just as flat as the protons. The original volts i have (only 1 left) is crazy more domey if you put them side to side. Not sure why they needed to change it but it sux they cant just keep it consistent, especially when id say the volt is a success.:wall:

anyone notice that the newer Volts (neutron and proton) are much flatter than volts when they first came out? I bought a few when they first came out and have lost all but one. I went to go buy more and they are alll totally different. Little bummed about it because i love the disc. The newer neutrons are just as flat as the protons. The original volts i have (only 1 left) is crazy more domey if you put them side to side. Not sure why they needed to change it but it sux they cant just keep it consistent, especially when id say the volt is a success.:wall:

I have only ever seen/thrown the "flat" ones you speak of, and I love those. What did you like about the domey ones that you aren't getting from the flat?

They tweaked their molding practices from my understanding to make the process more consistent. I LOVE the way volts are being made now. They have more HSS and the flat profile feels great in the hand.. just because they tweak their methods doesn't mean they are inconsistent.. its a company in its infancy thatis trying new things all the time.

They tweaked their molding practices from my understanding to make the process more consistent. I LOVE the way volts are being made now. They have more HSS and the flat profile feels great in the hand.. just because they tweak their methods doesn't mean they are inconsistent.. its a company in its infancy thatis trying new things all the time.

they were much more domey and less stable with more glide. If you release a product then it changes dramatically 12months later id say thats the definition of inconsistent. Its not a minor change either, if you put them side by side, the old ones are totally different, basically a different disc completely. Im happy some of you love the new flat ones but i dont and i think its bs they cant release something and keep it the same. Since i have another disc that flies like the flat ones im basically left with scouring the earth looking for domey ones or just stop throwing volts. Dont be a fanboy and say they arent being inconsistent though, the new and old volts couldnt be more inconsistent.

Last edited:
they were much more domey and less stable with more glide. If you release a product then it changes dramatically 12months later id say thats the definition of inconsistent. Its not a minor change either, if you put them side by side, the old ones are totally different, basically a different disc completely. Im happy some of you love the new flat ones but i dont and i think its bs they cant release something and keep it the same. Since i have another disc that flies like the flat ones im basically left with scouring the earth looking for domey ones or just stop throwing volts. Dont be a fanboy and say they arent being inconsistent though, the new and old volts couldnt be more inconsistent.

What he is saying is that they made a conscious decision to change they way they made the Volt. That is not inconsistency due to lack of manufacturing control. That is changing methods to most likely yield MORE consistency, considering we have not seen ANY variance since that conscious change. If they were inconsistent you would think you would see some domey ones pop up here and there... but you don't, do you? Cause they are now producing a consistent, great product. So say goodbye to your domey volts. They are dead.

Domey Volts were among the first that came off the press and are pretty darn rare. I like mine too, but I can see why they want to keep the Volt flat...This way it overlaps less with the Amp. It does suck since you like your domey ones...Though I see inconsistency as something that happens due to loose control when molding and is always unintentional.

MVP is the most consistent disc manufacturer on the planet, so any other brand you choose is going to VERY inconsistent in comparison...This is especially true for first runs of any new disc because no disc company can predict all the differences that can occur between a small proto run and large production run.

The Volt was the first high speed disc ever attempted by MVP, the overmold sits differently compared to the flat edged "lid"-like cores of the midranges, they have to get the overmold to flow into the bevel of the fairway cores profile smoothly, which i must say they have done an incredible job.. being that these discs are more consistent than other companies and they have an overmold is AMAZING.. imagine if they didnt have to do overmols, i think the consistency would be out of this world.

I remember an announcements a while back right after the Shocks were released that they made changes across the board to their molding techniques that would yield better consistency with first runs and such from there on out and they have held up to their claims ever since then.

I just pulled out my first run stamped volt and compared it to the newest one i have and they are slightly different, if anything a hairline higher PLH now.. this could be because i have used the one i have now, hardly noticeable and the domes weren't really that different, maybe a little more dome but when sat upside down the disc weight pushes it flat with the old one.. because its such a small dome in the first place, The changes are minute.

Also keep in mind that when you buy discs online the shipping almost ALWAYS flattens the dome completely. I ordered from DN for the new FR Stamp Proton Volt and when it came in the mail it was puddle topped.. i was a little pissed but after a couple days it settled nice and board flat, i like it, its a little more stable than my domier one that i received in a wholesale stacked box order where the domes didnt get abnormally flattened.

Just depends where you get the disc form and how its sent sometimes, in this case its not the manufacturers fault if a dome is flat.. if you can go to a local shop and buy MVP, you can tell that they are just a little more domey because they are shipped with care from MVP.

Whenever i get orders in from MVP the first thing i do is PLH and Dome checks, 9 of 10 are exactly the same with no noticeable differences, white, black and sometimes hot pink (and other weird colors) can be slightly different sometimes but lately they have been just fine.

Last edited:

What he is saying is that they made a conscious decision to change they way they made the Volt. That is not inconsistency due to lack of manufacturing control. That is changing methods to most likely yield MORE consistency, considering we have not seen ANY variance since that conscious change. If they were inconsistent you would think you would see some domey ones pop up here and there... but you don't, do you? Cause they are now producing a consistent, great product. So say goodbye to your domey volts. They are dead.

Domey Volts were among the first that came off the press and are pretty darn rare. I like mine too, but I can see why they want to keep the Volt flat...This way it overlaps less with the Amp. It does suck since you like your domey ones...Though I see inconsistency as something that happens due to loose control when molding and is always unintentional.

MVP is the most consistent disc manufacturer on the planet, so any other brand you choose is going to VERY inconsistent in comparison...This is especially true for first runs of any new disc because no disc company can predict all the differences that can occur between a small proto run and large production run.

The Volt was the first high speed disc ever attempted by MVP, the overmold sits differently compared to the flat edged "lid"-like cores of the midranges, they have to get the overmold to flow into the bevel of the fairway cores profile smoothly, which i must say they have done an incredible job.. being that these discs are more consistent than other companies and they have an overmold is AMAZING.. imagine if they didnt have to do overmols, i think the consistency would be out of this world.

I remember an announcements a while back right after the Shocks were released that they made changes across the board to their molding techniques that would yield better consistency with first runs and such from there on out and they have held up to their claims ever since then.

I just pulled out my first run stamped volt and compared it to the newest one i have and they are slightly different, if anything a hairline higher PLH now.. this could be because i have used the one i have now, hardly noticeable and the domes weren't really that different, maybe a little more dome but when sat upside down the disc weight pushes it flat with the old one.. because its such a small dome in the first place, The changes are minute.

Also keep in mind that when you buy discs online the shipping almost ALWAYS flattens the dome completely. I ordered from DN for the new FR Stamp Proton Volt and when it came in the mail it was puddle topped.. i was a little pissed but after a couple days it settled nice and board flat, i like it, its a little more stable than my domier one that i received in a wholesale stacked box order where the domes didnt get abnormally flattened.

Just depends where you get the disc form and how its sent sometimes, in this case its not the manufacturers fault if a dome is flat.. if you can go to a local shop and buy MVP, you can tell that they are just a little more domey because they are shipped with care from MVP.

Whenever i get orders in from MVP the first thing i do is PLH and Dome checks, 9 of 10 are exactly the same with no noticeable differences, white, black and sometimes hot pink (and other weird colors) can be slightly different sometimes but lately they have been just fine.

Did you guys need a shovel to bury your heads in the sand that deep?

Any other company makes two discs under the same name that fly differently = inconsistent

MVP makes two discs under the same name that fly differently = quality

making a change to molding practices purposely and publicly announcing it (like MVP does) is different than Innova releasing new runs of the same mold that fly differently every time and they cant reach any level of consistency in the flight of the same mold form run to run..

After MVP makes a change, its like that until further notice, and if you do get one thats not right, you can send it into MVP and they will send you a new one free of charge.. who does that?!

change in molding practices is NOT the same as inconsistency, Nolan. Innova has been doing this forever.. MVP is a newer company that will refine quality as they go along and learn new things about molding

Last edited:
After MVP makes a change, its like that until further notice, and if you do get one thats not right, you can send it into MVP and they will send you a new one free of charge.. who does that?!

I keep hearing about this, but I have yet to read about someone doing it first hand. Have you experienced this? Someone other than Plex should answer this, since nothing he says can be trusted.

Last edited:
making a change to molding practices purposely and publicly announcing it (like MVP does) is different than Innova releasing new runs of the same mold that fly differently every time and they cant reach any level of consistency in the flight of the same mold form run to run..

change in molding practices is NOT the same as inconsistency, Nolan.

Plex,
Did they announce they were changing the Volt? What about the Ion? How come I keep hearing about people with stable Amps, and some with super flippy amps? Did they announce that too? How about the different Vectors? That was on purpose too, right?

Last edited:

Any other company makes two discs under the same name that fly differently = inconsistent

MVP makes two discs under the same name that fly differently = quality

I guess time will tell then.

I keep hearing about this, but I have yet to read about someone doing it first hand. Have you experienced this?

When i got my FR shocks that didn't turn out as intended.. i sent in 8 of them for replacement and they replaced all 8 of them free of charge.

The rest i kept because people actually want them for their Volt-like HSS and harder LSS fade.

Latest posts