• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My drives are way too flippy

nash2000

Bogey Member
New guy here and I apologize for the lack of profile info I have. Trying work work out some kinks before I throw today. I've played for a long time so this issue is old for me...never had to really deal with it before. When I drive, mostly wide over field shots, my disc will either turn over hard to the right but eventually S back to the left or it'll flip hard and roll a ways. Maybe 10% of the time, I get the nice S that it's ment to do. I throw D plastic Beast and valkerie for my open distance drives, I also like low weights, 150-165 grams. if the disc doesn't flip or turn over, I'll get 400+ feet. I throw RHBH and I use the dangle drive. The disc dangles from my finger tips, it's hard to explain and rather unorthodox but it works and ive done it for over 15 yrs.
With all that said, ive narrowed it down to a few things. Either the weight of my discs are too low, my D plastic is too broken in or I'm throwing too hard. I don't believe I'm releasing the disc on an angle but it's hard to really tell. Thanks for any replies in advace.

Dx plastic isn't good for distance drivers for that reason (and more so in light weights). It beats in fast, and it turns super flippy. If you get the same kind of results with stable drivers that aren't beat in, I would look into "OAT". Also pay attention to wind conditions. If you throw into a headwind, the disc will flip more.

Sounds like your either overpowering the low weight and/or your discs are beat that they're that flippy. Have you tried releasing on any sort of hyzer angle? Try grabbing a valk in another plastic or weight and see how it goes.

I think that all 3 of your assumptions are correct. Too low of weight, which is causing you to overpower a beat in DX Beast. Like DiscFifty said, grab a 175 Champ plastic Beast and see what happens. Or, find an overstable disc in the lighter weights. In my experience, DX Beasts become flippy as all get out after just a few rounds.

As everyone has said, consider moving to star plastic and higher weights like 165-170. It may seem way more stable at first (or...it will be way more stable at first), but with that much power and some tree hits it'll be way more reliable in a bit.

But if the discs bomb sometimes, but turn over others, you likely are doing some slight OAT/variation that's causing it. With a more stable disc, this slight variation won't matter as much. But I would like into very slight wrist roll at/after release, and also make sure that your follow through angle (of your arm swinging around) is the exact same as your release angle. If you get lazy and follow through a little bit flatter/lower, that little bit can be enough to turn a high power throw into the ground.

Thanks guys for all the replies. Sorry for the late reply, I pulled a muscle in my lower back on hole 2 after I made this thread. I was able to limp thru 2 rounds with only a stoke or 2 of my average. With the pain came enlightenment. I wasn't able to use my back at all for throwing, I had to use arm only and most of my previous drives that would flip now had a sweet S like it use to. Looks like I had way too much power behind my Dx drivers. I did however picked up a star beast a few weeks ago, I haven't really been able to get it to flatten out and definitely haven't turned it over yet. I'm slowly breaking it in, in hopes it's ready next season.

Thanks guys for all the replies. Sorry for the late reply, I pulled a muscle in my lower back on hole 2 after I made this thread. I was able to limp thru 2 rounds with only a stoke or 2 of my average. With the pain came enlightenment. I wasn't able to use my back at all for throwing, I had to use arm only and most of my previous drives that would flip now had a sweet S like it use to. Looks like I had way too much power behind my Dx drivers. I did however picked up a star beast a few weeks ago, I haven't really been able to get it to flatten out and definitely haven't turned it over yet. I'm slowly breaking it in, in hopes it's ready next season.

Throwing dx plastic north of 400 and can't flatten out a beast?

Throwing dx plastic north of 400 and can't flatten out a beast?

Yes sir you are correct but to be fair, I've only thrown the star beast in an open field drive 3 times and kind of road the rail but didn't quite flatten out. I don't get the same grip on non dx plastics, it's not even close in my opinion. Which is why I'm working in other plastics because I know star plastic holds the discs lines very very well. I just need to break it in as most discs need. Oh by the way, the 3 times I have thrown it on the open, all 3 were 300+ feet. I'll get use to it.

sounds like what you are doing is mostly working for you. what about just cycling through your DX drivers a bit more quickly?

how long have you had your current drivers? do you keep multiples in various stages of wear? maybe you just need a few new valks and beasts and phase out the older, flippier ones. or just use them for rollers and anhyzers.

sounds like what you are doing is mostly working for you. what about just cycling through your DX drivers a bit more quickly?

how long have you had your current drivers? do you keep multiples in various stages of wear? maybe you just need a few new valks and beasts and phase out the older, flippier ones. or just use them for rollers and anhyzers.

No joke, my valk which is around 3 yrs old makes some of the prettiest anhyzer shots I've ever done and my Dx beast was bought at the beginning of the season which has also done some insane rolls but the rolls were not intentional. Maybe you are right about phasing in a new pair and use my current set as specialty discs. They do have plenty of nicks and digs but figured they'd still be good...maybe not. I still plan to work in my star beast and hope to have it tuned in by next season. I'm hoping to get another 50 feet or so on my drives from changing plastics.

You could also try a Pro Valk or Beast, it is in between Star and DX in terms of Stability and Wear. Should get you a better flight right out of the box. Grip is also superior IMO.

This site never ceases to amaze me with the exaggerated numbers and bad advice.

Buy a comet and learn to throw it straight. Then come back to everything else.

So you're saying you don't believe this dude can throw a beat DX Beast over 400'?

Say it ain't so, Joe.

Wow, I'm not a liar dude. I can and have thrown straight but I've been wondering if my turn over issue was more of a too much power or a weight/plastic issue. By the way, my rhino goes 200-250 feet on a rail with a nice fade at the end, keep your comet.

Last edited: