• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My drives are way too flippy

What's it like when you drive a putter?

Buy a comet and learn to throw it straight. Then come back to everything else.

Another idea to fix your problem is to play pass for an hour or so with an Ultimate disc (lid). Long throws.

It sounds to me like your issue is that you've developed some sort of hitch in your throw (rolling your wrist on release probably). I am guessing that it is not a disc problem per se. You need to work out the hitch from your muscle memory. That's what the 2 posts I quoted (and my suggestion) are attempting to do.

Another idea to fix your problem is to play pass for an hour or so with an Ultimate disc (lid). Long throws.

It sounds to me like your issue is that you've developed some sort of hitch in your throw (rolling your wrist on release probably). I am guessing that it is not a disc problem per se. You need to work out the hitch from your muscle memory. That's what the 2 posts I quoted (and my suggestion) are attempting to do.

You're probably right, just seems odd that ive never had this issue before. I'm sure it has something to do with my grip, its unusual...not a standard power or ccontrol grip. I dangle the disc off my finger tips, 3 steps and release. It was shown to be over 10 yrs ago from my local course owner and ive never looked back. I plan to have a buddy record and watch my drives closely, I know more then weather my disc angle is up or down at release.

It's just annoying is all. I like to think I know proper technique, posture and I know what to look for when I disc goes wrong but I just can't tell if there's something in my set up or release. Which is why I thought it was a matter of weight and plastic. I'm certainly not a guy that can't take critique and welcome all that I get. Thanks for all the tips. I'll see what happens today if weather clears once I'm out of work.

If you like the feel of DX, try GStar. Your old discs are too warn and may be too light for you.

I picked up a star valk yesterday and played a round with both star valk and beast. Right hand dog legs we're money with these discs but not so much on the straight drives. They flew far (300+ feet) but there was zero turn in flight, they might as well be 10 5 0 2. I think in time they'll be great discs. By the way, the dude at my pro shop suggested I stay away from gstar plastic, doesn't help that he's sponsored by prodigy but he studied the plastic and doesn't see how it'll break in since the plastic is so flimsy. Not sure if that's correct or now but time will tell.

So your power level and form is somewhere between a old lightweight DX valk and a star valk. I'd just carry a few star valks in different stages of wear till you clean up your form and get more power.

So your power level and form is somewhere between a old lightweight DX valk and a star valk. I'd just carry a few star valks in different stages of wear till you clean up your form and get more power.

Never thought I had a power problem since my distances are good but you could be right and I probably should have gone with pro plastic rather then jumping right to star. It'll all work out, things don't happen over night.

Never thought I had a power problem since my distances are good but you could be right and I probably should have gone with pro plastic rather then jumping right to star. It'll all work out, things don't happen over night.

I dont know how far you actually throw, but "good" is so vague... Personally I would not call anything under 500 "good". Others are happy with 300.

Star will work. It beats in too, after a few das in the woods your new star valk will not be new any more ;) Or buy a pro one, too, can't have too many valkyries :D

I dont know how far you actually throw, but "good" is so vague... Personally I would not call anything under 500 "good". Others are happy with 300.

Star will work. It beats in too, after a few das in the woods your new star valk will not be new any more ;) Or buy a pro one, too, can't have too many valkyries :D

Dang, no I don't throw 500 feet. My best is north of 400 but my average is around 350 or so. Maybe some day I'll reach those numbers.

Blah blah whatever. Can't imagine somebody throwing 500? Poor guy. There are more people out there who can do it than you think.

I can. I actually saw a discmania guy drive around 650 at my local course a few weeks ago but id never say 400 was a pore distance regardless of what you can throw. It's kind of silly actually.

Blah blah whatever. Can't imagine somebody throwing 500? Poor guy. There are more people out there who can do it than you think.

lol... not doubting your abilities, ofcourse I've seen 450+ bombs....but cmon..... you have to admit.... "Personally I would not call anything under 500 good"...that just has to be the (funniest) quote of the year on this forum. Don't you think that's a tad bit silly in retrospect? No dis-respect intended, that quote just me laugh out loud when reading it. ;)

I think he was talking about himself, and that he'd be disappointed if HE wasn't hitting 500'...not everyone else.

I think he was talking about himself, and that he'd be disappointed if HE wasn't hitting 500'...not everyone else.

This.

I understand that the average disc golfer does not throw 450'-500'. But if my Destroyers aren't pushing between there, I'm not happy with myself.

People read things the way they want to, especially when they're butt-hurt about their distance.

This.

I understand that the average disc golfer does not throw 450'-500'. But if my Destroyers aren't pushing between there, I'm not happy with myself.

People read things the way they want to, especially when they're butt-hurt about their distance.

My fanny is just fine about my distances but I'm curious...if you are disappointed if you don't hit around 500 feet...what do you normally drive? It must be way more because in my opinion, 450-500 is a nice accaccomplishment. I'm clearly not a pro, just a dude having fun.

500 feet? I think he meant 500 metres.