• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] My search for perfect lazer straight mid-range

Lat 64 soft Pure - I hit it with about 75% power from a standstill and it's money, try it!

Two words that changed my life, SUPER STINGRAY. So straight a nun would blush. And at any power it will stay straight if you release it flat. Unbelievable until you see it.

Innova Options for straight midrange / Putt and approach: Foxbat , Atlas, Mako, Mako3 , Super Stingray, Ontario Roc, Dart , Nova (Mine was overstable :doh:)

I really appreciate all of the continued feedback. I did a ton of field testing and playing over the last few days and ding ding we have a winner. And the winner is............. The Tangent. Here's why the tangent wins for me.
1. It truly does go dead laser beam straight for me when thrown low and flat. No fade at all unless I put too much air under it but that's on me and not the disc. In fact I like that I can throw it flat and low for a laser or flat and a bit high for an approach that I want to fade to the basket.
2. Feels great in the hand with a shallow rim and flat top. Just holding in gives me a feeling of confidence.
3. Can shape left or right as desired with a little anny of hyzer.
4. This is a big one for me - I can keep it on a straight line even when powered down. Most discs tend to fade much earlier when powered down but I can keep this one straight anywhere from 100% to 60% - nice.
5. Not only is this good for tunnel drives but it's absolutely my favorite approach disk for trying to park under the basket. I just feel in control of placement. This disc doesn't have a ton of glide which I think costs it some distance but makes it very easy to range distance.

So if you can't tell I love this disc. If I did have to nitpick the one thing I'd want is just a little more distance. This one falls a little short of my other mids on length but for the control and confidence I'll take it. Base on all of the feedback here I'm thinking about ordering a Mako3 as well for when I need a little more distance. What do you guys think? I can throw the Tangent about 200ft so what would be a good distance estimate for the Mako3 for me?

So a little off topic but I thought I'd report on my other 3 brand new MVP discs for the benefit of any others trying to compare these who may have lower than average arm speed.
1. Axis - This is a pretty sweet disc. It goes a little farther than the tangent but also comes with a little fade at the end. This isn't a bad thing at all but for this particular search I was looking for the straightest and the tangent wins that. If I need a touch more distance and have a touch more lateral room (wider tunnel) this is a nice controllable disc. If a leopard and tangent had a baby it would be an axis.
2. Anode - Wow, another laser beam. This is a great disc that I find to be very much like a tangent but just a bit shorter. It's a shame that I can't find a place in my bag for this one because it really is a great disc. The tangent is my go to approach disc and I'm in love with my Nova for my putter so there's just no room in between. Oh wait - I got this one in eclipse glow - it does have use - night rounds - woot.
3. Amp - This is the one I'm least happy with. I'm pretty dang solid with my leopard and my valkyrie . The charts at inbounds indicate this one should be similar and in between the two. For some reason my Amp goes left just about every time even though it's supposed to be understable. I'm going to keep working on it but am a bit frustrated on this one so far. Any throwing tips for this one?

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

Last edited:
I really appreciate all of the continued feedback. I did a ton of field testing and playing over the last few days and ding ding we have a winner. And the winner is............. The Tangent. Here's why the tangent wins for me.
1. It truly does go dead laser beam straight for me when thrown low and flat. No fade at all unless I put too much air under it but that's on me and not the disc. In fact I like that I can throw it flat and low for a laser or flat and a bit high for an approach that I want to fade to the basket.
2. Feels great in the hand with a shallow rim and flat top. Just holding in gives me a feeling of confidence.
3. Can shape left or right as desired with a little anny of hyzer.
4. This is a big one for me - I can keep it on a straight line even when powered down. Most discs tend to fade much earlier when powered down but I can keep this one straight anywhere from 100% to 60% - nice.
5. Not only is this good for tunnel drives but it's absolutely my favorite approach disk for trying to park under the basket. I just feel in control of placement. This disc doesn't have a ton of glide which I think costs it some distance but makes it very easy to range distance.

So if you can't tell I love this disc. If I did have to nitpick the one thing I'd want is just a little more distance. This one falls a little short of my other mids on length but for the control and confidence I'll take it. Base on all of the feedback here I'm thinking about ordering a Mako3 as well for when I need a little more distance. What do you guys think? I can throw the Tangent about 200ft so what would be a good distance estimate for the Mako3 for me?

So a little off topic but I thought I'd report on my other 3 brand new MVP discs for the benefit of any others trying to compare these who may have lower than average arm speed.
1. Axis - This is a pretty sweet disc. It goes a little farther than the tangent but also comes with a little fade at the end. This isn't a bad thing at all but for this particular search I was looking for the straightest and the tangent wins that. If I need a touch more distance and have a touch more lateral room (wider tunnel) this is a nice controllable disc. If a leopard and tangent had a baby it would be an axis.
2. Anode - Wow, another laser beam. This is a great disc that I find to be very much like a tangent but just a bit shorter. It's a shame that I can't find a place in my bag for this one because it really is a great disc. The tangent is my go to approach disc and I'm in love with my Nova for my putter so there's just no room in between. Oh wait - I got this one in eclipse glow - it does have use - night rounds - woot.
3. Amp - This is the one I'm least happy with. I'm pretty dang solid with my leopard and my valkyrie . The charts at inbounds indicate this one should be similar and in between the two. For some reason my Amp goes left just about every time even though it's supposed to be understable. I'm going to keep working on it but am a bit frustrated on this one so far. Any throwing tips for this one?

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

glad to hear you like the tangent! it is one of my mids of choice as well, but there were many good suggestions, with the comet being a close second IMO. the tangent can go a long way . . . just needs a little more height than some of the driver-like mids, ala the buzzz or axis. very similar to a putter. a great and versatile placement mid.

what kind of leo and valk are you throwing? if they are in base plastic or are seasoned in already that may have a lot to do with it, stability-wise.

My favorite leo and valk are pro plastic. I love pro plastic it because I get more distance with it and it seems to go straighter for me and I love the grip. I also have a champ leo for when I want a touch of fade at the end. All have moderate seasoning.

Last edited:
My favorite leo and valk are pro plastic. I love pro plastic it because I get more distance with it and it seems to go straighter for me and I love the grip. I also have a champ leo for when I want a touch of fade at the end.

okay. yeah, that makes sense. pro isn't baseline per se, but is known to have more high speed turn out of the box. in other words, easier to throw straight at lower power. that may be why your amp seems beefy by comparison. as for the champ leo, i can't speak for that. i haven't thrown one, but what you're telling me matches up with what champ plastic usually does to a mold so that makes sense.

i've also heard that initially the amp did not have as much turn as they wanted, so perhaps you got a dud from that initial batch, though i would doubt it. i didn't throw any of those duds so i'm not sure. the amp is speed 9, so definitely a notch up from a leo, the same as a valk but your valk is pro plastic. that would possibly explain what's going on there, seems the most likely explanation to me.

I've owned 4 different Valks and the Pro I had was so US it felt like different a different disc/mold.

There are an enormous amount of good options for this slot. For me the most easy, consistent disc for this slot is a 176.5 Z buzzz that I've been throwing for three years. Brand new a nice heavy Z meteor will fly similarly but will require a little more height and hyzer to not tail to the right too far. My much newer 176.5 Z buzzz also works great when thrown a little flatter and faster.

Glad you liked the tangent as much as i do, it gets even better with age.

The Amps are weird sometimes, i can tell you that some of the early runs of the Amp are not very under-stable and more so straight to slightly over-stable.

If you can get the latest run of the Amps they SHOULD be under-stable out of the box, every one i have bough since the tangent was released has been under-stable as expected. I know there are still some early runs floating around out there though. Good news is they seem to beat in quickly and develop turn if you use them a lot.

I also recommend the Servo if you want something that you can power up a lot more and get a very tight/straight line out of.

Good luck with your search.

If I did have to nitpick the one thing I'd want is just a little more distance. This one falls a little short of my other mids on length but for the control and confidence I'll take it. Base on all of the feedback here I'm thinking about ordering a Mako3 as well for when I need a little more distance. What do you guys think? I can throw the Tangent about 200ft so what would be a good distance estimate for the Mako3 for me?

Never thrown a Mako3 so I can't comment on that. I'd recommend a Warship (Westside) or a Squall for a faster midrange. They're both quick and long for mids (especially the Squall, it's got a mid/driver thing going on). I'd lean towards the Warship for you, it's a good deal floatier which should help at your speed level. :)

Hey OP, so how does your tangent compare to your atlas?
was your atlas 180g?
I have an atlas that I like for this shot.
I also recently threw a 180 mako3, and it is definitely my farthest mid, but I like the control of the atlas more.
I think you should consider weight as well for mids.

Hey OP, so how does your tangent compare to your atlas?
was your atlas 180g?
I have an atlas that I like for this shot.
I also recently threw a 180 mako3, and it is definitely my farthest mid, but I like the control of the atlas more.
I think you should consider weight as well for mids.

My Atlas is definitely longer than my Tangent. I can make my Atlas go straight if I put just a touch of anny on it - almost like a hyzer flip in reverse. Mine weighs 169grams. Can you be describe specifically the difference in the flight path of your Atlas and Mako3? Thanks.

The only midrange I use an assortment of seasoned KC rocs which can go laser been straight. But i've seen my dad throw a lat core pretty dang straight and he loves it for powered down up shots. I felt it and it is pretty shallow of a rim.

My Atlas is definitely longer than my Tangent. I can make my Atlas go straight if I put just a touch of anny on it - almost like a hyzer flip in reverse. Mine weighs 169grams. Can you be describe specifically the difference in the flight path of your Atlas and Mako3? Thanks.

The mako3 is faster and a bit farther. The atlas is floatier, which is why I like it.

Both are very straight. So I am curious about a lighter weight mako3.
But in the end, I think the mako3 is too Buzzz-like, which I don't like, more driver than mid.

Thanks for the feedback. Even though I'm happy very happy with the tangent I've ordered a 166gram mako3 to test in hopes of a little more distance. I'll report back when I receive and have a chance to test. This sounds crazy but is it possible to be addicted to ordering plastic?