• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] My search for perfect lazer straight mid-range

Well people need different speeds and stabilities for different types of shots, so obviously one needs enough discs to cover the different shots they need to make.

Lightning makes fine discs, i have thrown them before and the flight is comparable to discs from other companies, if someone practiced with them enough they could get just as good... people have won majors using lightning discs before. Most people probably don't even know about lightning discs anyways, besides their plastic sucks, you hit one tree and it will never fly the same again.. which is unfortunate.

Keep thinking what you throw is better than what everyone else throws, that will get you far :)

So your saying that certain discs are better than others....

5. XD - This disc seems to get no love on this forum but it's probably my most accurate mid range. It has just a hint of turn and just a hint of fade but it's pretty dang straight. This is my most accurate approach disc. This disc probably fits my description of what I'm looking for the most. I just wish it was a little longer. Can anyone tell me why this accurate disc doesn't get more love?

It has a following. I used to throw them a lot. Then I got an Opto Pure.

Okay so I finally got some testing in with my 168g mako3 and am liking it a lot. It is indeed very straight as advertised. It does have a touch of fade at the end but not bad at all and even this little bit of fade can be eliminated if kept low. After testing a bunch of discs here's the way my midrange selections are shaping up.

1. Tangent - this one will likely get the most use as I can keep it strait best even when powered down. I can get a number of discs to go straight with full snap but this one goes straight for me at full snap and powered down significantly. Its also the best for me for shaping lines and approaches.
2. Mako3 - Will use off the tee for those tunnel shots where I want a little more distance than the tangent. It's definitely a little longer for me.
3. XD - This one has tons of overlap with the tangent but I just can't kick this one out of the bag as it's been my trusty approach disc for so long. As stated before I think this disc is really underrated.
4. Leopard - When I need a little more length than the Mako 3 AND have a slightly wider tunnel to work with.
5. Foxbat - I love this disc for those slow right hand sweepers (not for tunnel shots which is why I started this thread). It doesn't even try to come back (fade) and I love the gentle glide. I do agree with in4d that glide can make ranging more difficult and even state this in my very first post but sometimes glide can help with finesse shots and there are also times when a little extra glide distance is worth the tradeoff in rangeability. If I'm trying to park a midrange shot under the basket on an open shot I'm going tangent but there are situations for the foxbat as well. The foxbat is so different than other discs I encourage others to try one. There's so many similar flying discs out there and I just find this one to be unique.

Final note: As I continue to throw it my axis keeps getting straighter and straighter as I think all of this practice is giving me a little more snap. Starting to like this one more and more.

so no more atlas?
how does the atlas compare to the tangent? in terms of touch, distance, glide, ranging?
same question for the xd. I used to have an xd, but never really tried throwing it far as a mid.

Yea glide can be good/bad, and you summarized it well. Although I have no problem ranging with my fuse.

so no more atlas?
how does the atlas compare to the tangent? in terms of touch, distance, glide, ranging?
same question for the xd. I used to have an xd, but never really tried throwing it far as a mid.

Yea glide can be good/bad, and you summarized it well. Although I have no problem ranging with my fuse.

I actually like the atlas a lot. In some ways it's probably the most predictable disc. It goes laser beam straight with a gentle and reliable and predictable fade at the end. Truthfully it's probably as good as any of the other discs. I've just been so focused on this search for the perfect tunnel disc (minimum fade) that I kinda didn't let this one win because of the fade. There's a place for a straight discs with a reliable fade and this one fits the bill. If there's trouble on the right this is also a great disc as it will never turn right unless you tell it to do so.

Atlas compared to tangent:
The atlas is a little longer and has the fade as I've discussed. As far as touch I'm going to give it to the tangent. It really does do what I want it to do under various power levels. I'd probably give the tangent the nod on touch compared to anything - pretty dang sweet. Neither of these discs have a ton of glide which makes them both awesome for rangeability. If I'm trying to park one under the basket on a variety of lines the tangent gives more options. If you want a straight flight that reliably fades left to under the basket the atlas will hold the same line every time.

XD compared to tangent:
These discs are extremely similar to me. They fly pretty much the same line and distance. This is why I find it confusing that the tangent gets so much press and the XD so little. How can it be that that these discs fly so similar yet one gets so much love and attention here (DGCR) and the other is close to ignored? I find both discs to be very neutral and shapeable. The XD has just a touch more turn if thrown really hard and just a touch more low speed fade at the end. If I'm approaching and want to come straight in I'll pick the tangent. If I want to curl it in with a little fade I'll throw the XD a little high and it's money. To be fair the XD has been my staple midrange for years so I just know what it's going to do.

I hope this helps.

just curious, what weight is your tangent?
every MVP I've tried never floats in the air for long unless windy.
how does tangent compare to atlas and xd in terms of "air time" or floatiness?

Comet. Effortless distance and dead straight if thrown proper.

Also, my new McPro Roc3's are very, very straight flyers.

At 200 ish ft of distance, you will be super happy with a mako III. You may find a z comet under 170 g pretty user friendly also. Comet in x is good , but will beat into a turnover quickly. All assuming a level pull on the disc. Both discs are very forgiving around 200, mako may have a touch more fade. I still carry my mako III, but have to put a little hyzer flip on it now. It will flip up to a270 ft lazer when thrown fast n low.

Another vote for the comet. I pair mine with a beat wizard for shorter shots so I won't keep gliding past the basket.
First round I threw a comet I was skeptical but kept using it and now I am loving it especially for the dead straight shots with little room to work (ie BRP hole 4).

Just find a disc you find comfortable and keep using it and cycle if need be.

My fairly beat eclipse axis tears up middle creek.

i tend to play with about 5 discs there.

beat rhyno
axis eclipse
leopard star
S-olf
predator esp

this is the meat and potatoes of my bag.

the thing i really like about MC is the fact that it forces you to make a nice shot. i have even parked #10 with a leopard. it was a beaut.

im going to agree with the "find a disc you like and keep using it" motto. there is no magic disc, and somedays you're just not on. i have a whole tub of discs, and have whittled my bag down to 14. master that midrange you like, and buy a few of it and you're good to go.

Last edited:
The only way you will get a straight shot is if you adjust an understable mids release angle depending on your power level. I recceomend and 170g tp tursas. Very smooth turn from a slight hyzer at full power. At less power it's laser straight with great glide release it more at a hyzer as you increase power. It's one of the most fun mids i have ever thrown

A beat in Pro Roc is the closest thing I've thrown to what you are describing.

Mako or Legacy Gauge sounds like what you are looking for. for the shot you are talking about I also use a Champ Valk and throw it flat, low and straight.

Flying Squirrel from ABC with your power that thing will work wonders. Power it down as much as you want it will finish straight on a flat release. Then when your power increases it will become a hyzer flip machine that glides for days. I seriously can't say enough good things about this disc.