• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] My search for perfect lazer straight mid-range

You can get pretty much any disc to fly straight by applying the right angle and spin. But the most preferred way I have observed is the hyzer-flip technique. There was an article is Disc Golfer Magazine last year that covered playing in the woods and tunnel shots.. The highlight there was, in order to get a disc to start straight and finish straight, understable is the way to go. Discs that have greater resistance to high speed turn will have more fade. So, getting them to fly and finish straight takes more power, therefor making less room for accuracy. But with an understable disc, a disc that would normally go right when thrown flat rhbh, you can throw it with hyzer and convert that turn into a dead straight flight and finish. Also much less effort and more power from your core. Hope that makes sense...

I really like using my Opto Pure and Opto,Gold Line Fuse for these shots.

Both discs are pretty easy to shape straight lines with

Has the Westside Warship been mentioned yet, if not theirs your answer.

Lazer beam --------> pew pew

I don't have a lot of power and I have these discs and they all go pretty straight for me. Champion Mako3, MVP Tangent (i have an eclipse proton), Axiom Alias in Neutron, Vibram Ibex in X-Link Medium. They all will hold any line you put them on with some decent form. Love them all and would think any of these would fill the spot you need

How would you compare the Core to the Tangent? (if you've thrown a Tangent).

These two are very close. The Core has more glide and distance ability. But flight wise they are both lazers. The Core feels just slightly better in my hand, thus I believe it's a bit more forgiving for me. I would trust both to go very straight. As a side note, I would use a 170 -173g Tangent, for me, any higher weight and it starts the fade too early.

You can get pretty much any disc to fly straight by applying the right angle and spin. But the most preferred way I have observed is the hyzer-flip technique. There was an article is Disc Golfer Magazine last year that covered playing in the woods and tunnel shots.. The highlight there was, in order to get a disc to start straight and finish straight, understable is the way to go. Discs that have greater resistance to high speed turn will have more fade. So, getting them to fly and finish straight takes more power, therefor making less room for accuracy. But with an understable disc, a disc that would normally go right when thrown flat rhbh, you can throw it with hyzer and convert that turn into a dead straight flight and finish. Also much less effort and more power from your core. Hope that makes sense...

Something in my brain just clicked - Thanks :thmbup:

Lat 64 Fuse(sounds like gold line might be best since you don't have a lot of power) or a Coyote would be my suggestions. A Mako is also good for straight lines, but I wasn't a fan.

the opto pure is also an excellent suggestion, despite being technically a putter. it has a very drive-friendly shape and it is tied as the straightest disc i've ever thrown . . . but the opto pure is easier to throw straight than a comet.

i know you already found your mid, but if you ever look for a putter that does the same thing, that's your guy.

I do like the pure, but for some reason the opto just isnt for me. I prefer the ZH. If anybody wants to get rid of a brinster bird, I got two opto pures ready for ya :) one pink on pink and the other ironman...just saying

DGA Aftershock

Best kept secret: DGA. The Squall is an awesome midrange, but for lasers w/o fade, pick up a proline Aftershock. Minimal fade. Low profile similar to a roc, but tighter flight line. If you want to try something less known, but amazingly accurate, give it a shot.

Something in my brain just clicked - Thanks :thmbup:

glad to help :) for the understable hyzer flip shots, i use a prodigy M4. i use it on all types of shots. it takes more knowledge of the disc to throw understable, but the rewards are very high once you get to know a disc's overall response to spin and angle. you can always compensate for the turn with more or less angle depending on what the shot demands.

in my opinion, stable to overstable discs have drawn many players away from actually learning different types of spin and angles. while yes, they are predictable, that aspect is only good for so much. if you want an understable disc to fly predictably, you gotta learn it..

I have recently bought a Mako 3 and it has a huge fade. It's the last disc I own that I'd want to use for a straight through a tunnel of trees shot. I'm with 46Yearoldslinger. I want something that will go straight and stay straight!

I have recently bought a Mako 3 and it has a huge fade. It's the last disc I own that I'd want to use for a straight through a tunnel of trees shot. I'm with 46Yearoldslinger. I want something that will go straight and stay straight!
A problem with the Interwebz is that what will work for you depends on a ton of factors: form, power, preferred route, etc. For a Mako 3 to have huge fade I would think one of two things (or both): Either you are not getting a lot of power behind the throw or/and you are throwing it on a high line with the nose up. Both of those things would make a Mako3 fade.

If it's the power issue, you could switch to a less stable mid and it *should* straighten out a little for you. If you are throwing nose up, everything is going to stall and hyzer out to some degree so you would be better off working on your throwing technique than switching discs.

How long have you been playing and how far do you throw? All discs fade to various degrees, but depending on how you throw they will fade more. If you're new then you're likely not putting much snap on the disc, not getting the disc up to speed, and rounding. That combo is why new players' discs fade out early. If that's you then the disc isn't the problem. Keep working with your Mako, record yourself throwing, and compare your videos to some of the great instructional videos out there.

If you're not new and you just want a disc that's a good understable mid, I always recommend the Tursas. For most people it will be a great turnover mid, but if a Mako3 is too stable for you then the Tursas will likely be super straight.

Be aware, though. There are a HUGE amount of discs out there so you will get a lot of recommendations. None of them are magic, all of them require you to execute the throw. I just lost my straight midrange; it didn't go straight. :( 100% my fault, I tried to throw it too hard, dropped my shoulder, got it too high, hit a tree on the right, ricocheted to the left into an overgrown gorge never to be seen again.

I play golf with a guy that has about 0 power because of physical limitations yet he can get a Champ Mako3 to turn or go straight when he wants.

On a slight hyzer, a Z Comet will be straight as you could ever want. Or you could season a Wizard for shorter shots. I've got one now that is straight the whole way through, with maybe a 3' fade at the end.

A buzz thrown hard will go straight.

Or a Z Comet - just as described by OP - stays straight when powered down, can get a mellow right-to-left or vice versa shot by adding angle. If hand feel is a concern, you may love it or hate it, but this is the right choice I think.

For true super straight shots at any power level I would go with a beat up beaded putter, or a nice fresh Proxy of some kind. You trade a little distance for a lot of reliability.

Latest posts