• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nate Doss

Various helpful things I noticed in Doss in Beaver State Fling 2024. He was playing high 1030s golf back in 2018 before he left competition, and put up a respectable 1007 in his first PDGA tournament back at close to 40 years old. I thought his shot control was still pretty impressive and hanging in with the top shooters, and he was leaving some on the table in a few scenarios...
Say what you will about his commentary, dude can still put some moves on a disc!

Man alive, you put a lot of time and thought into this!
Nice work!!!

(I am a huge Doss fan, I love his no nonsense commentary)

Some good insight. It's nice to see someone more analytical than I am break something like this down. I have been learning to be more aware of what I am doing again. Pre-shot routine was something I somewhat intentionally developed back in the 1x Doss days and was successful enough that I didn't think about it for a decade. It was just my natural game. Now near another decade removed injury, time away, age, injury and lack of intention in the play and little practice I have had I didn't realize how removed from that routine I was left with. Been working on it, but like many other sports I have played I used to rely on feel and practice reps not intentional change. Thanks for sharing your observations and thoughts.

While this post is bumped, it's worth mentioning that the PDGA has made a change since the OP. Currently stats/tourney history for all players, current or not, are available to pdga members. As someone who loves diving into players/snooping I enjoy the change.
Man alive, you put a lot of time and thought into this!
Nice work!!!

(I am a huge Doss fan, I love his no nonsense commentary)
Ironically I noticed it and decided to break it down a bit more because I suddenly realized I wasn't thinking about it much until I saw him doing a few things I started adding to my pre-shot recently. So it was kind of reassuring that all the obsessive work I've been putting in is apparently becoming more automatic lmao. Glad you liked it!

Personally, I don't mind his commentary as much as some people. Once in a while I think he's not "reading the room" but to me it's pretty cool to hear from someone who has won multiple championships and is as knowledgeable as he is in any context.

I am glad PDGA made stats available to members - as an "open data" guy it'd be cool if it was always available to everyone but got to start somewhere.

The one element of Nate's throw that I have always notice, that he seems to do differently than most, is point at the target with his throwing elbow and his follow thru with his no-throwing elbow towards the same target. His movements with his elbows seem much more pronounced than others.

The one element of Nate's throw that I have always notice, that he seems to do differently than most, is point at the target with his throwing elbow and his follow thru with his no-throwing elbow towards the same target. His movements with his elbows seem much more pronounced than others.
Yeah I noticed the same. In some of the "linear" shift theory I know Sidewinder emphasizes the rear elbow helping collect the body into the brace. In terms of the swing/pull/through I think Doss, Jenkins, Ulibarri, and Isaac Robinson come to mind as people who look like they have a lot of that old "elbow down the door" part of the action going on. I've messed around with it a bit and it does seem to help my shot control sometimes if I focus more on a similar elbow pump. Then when I use a full pendulum pump it seems to help clean up part of the action, which is interesting.

Last edited: