• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need a Neutral Driver.......Your votes needed!

What Neutral Driver should I try?

• Discmania C TD

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • Discmania S CD

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Discraft Surge SS

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • Innova Viking

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • Innova Krait

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • Latitude Flow

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • Latitude Riot

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Vibram Lace

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 52 43.3%

• Total voters

bhadella

* Ace Member *
I can't seem to fall in love with a driver. And I need help. I have a bunch of drivers that work in open spaces but not on tight/straight lines. I want something with the same straight or small HSS path and minimal fade of a TL when I throw at 95% power (320-340 ft. with a TL/Teebird) that will carry for another 30-40 feet. Once a TL takes a few tree hits it becomes damn straight the entire flight. I want a true flying driver that I can anny and hyzer when I want to modify it's flight but is darn neutral. Most drivers for me use too much space laterally (big HSS and then LSS) like a Champ Valk , beat in Star Wraith/Destroyer or Prodigy D4 for a neutral flight or go straight and then fade (S PD, Prodigy D1).

Here's a list of potential candidates as I can tell (please add some if needed):

Discmania C TD
Discmania S CD
Discraft Surge SS
Innova Viking
Innova Krait
Latitude Flow
Latitude Riot
Vibram Lace

What should I try out?

Tracker maybe. I carry one for pretty much what I think you're describing; an all around, multi-purpse, can do anything with it driver? I throw every shot with a Tracker; long slow hyzers, spike hyzers, anhyzers, straight shots, short overhands, rollers .. and it's damn trustworthy in the wind too.

The L64 Flow will need room like a Wraith/D4 - I throw all 3, and they are very similar.

Good luck!

I dunno. Maybe try an SL.

It has an L in the name, so it has to be similar :thmbup:

The answer: TL.

At 320-340 range, the TL has more distance potential. Trying to go to a higher speed disc means you're going to need more lateral movement to get greater distance.

If you need a driver you can rely on to go dead-straight, stick with the TL and keep working in the field to squeeze all the distance you can out of it. Being able to throw over 300' on a straight line should make you very successful on most courses.

At 320-340 range, the TL has more distance potential. Trying to go to a higher speed disc means you're going to need more lateral movement to get greater distance.

If you need a driver you can rely on to go dead-straight, stick with the TL and keep working in the field to squeeze all the distance you can out of it. Being able to throw over 300' on a straight line should make you very successful on most courses.

so what would you say the distance potential of a teebird

OP already throws a TL. My "longer TL" is a Saint. My Optos fly like my Champ TLs did, and my GL straightened out after a few tree hits and hasn't lost much stability since then (and I use it a lot). Compared to my Star TL, even the GL has a lot better HSS and a less dumpy fade and a narrower flight overall.

Good luck on your search!

I want the quick fix; a faster straight disc to get me that tunnel 350-370ft (10% more distance) instead of a ton of field work to turn my 320-340 fairway power into 350-370 fairway power. Maybe it doesn't exist. Here in Charlotte (especially for a LHBH) I don't have many chances to throw a Distance Driver with a big flex or large finishing fade to my full power off 350-370 ft. It will have to be a tunnel/straight shot.

I want the quick fix; a faster straight disc to get me that tunnel 350-370ft (10% more distance) instead of a ton of field work to turn my 320-340 fairway power into 350-370 fairway power. Maybe it doesn't exist. Here in Charlotte (especially for a LHBH) I don't have many chances to throw a Distance Driver with a big flex or large finishing fade to my full power off 350-370 ft. It will have to be a tunnel/straight shot.

And I want to be able to dunk a basketball. But no matter how many pairs of shoes I try, I can't seem to find the few more inches I need to get above the rim.

I don't think you will find the quick fix you're looking for. I would encourage you to keep working with the TL and realize that on holes like that, it's okay to sacrifice a few feet of distance for accuracy. Most of your competition will be off the fairway, scrambling to try to save par.

Agree that the TL and Teebird have much more distance potential. A beat DX Teebird flies very straight, and rivals distance drivers if you can give it some air. TL should be similar.

For a quick fix, look at learning to hyzer-flip an understable distance driver like a Valkyrie, Mamba, etc., or maybe even a glidey fairway driver like a River. I found that Champ Valks have less fade then Star, especially used Champ Valks. If you hit the line and angle just right, you can get a long, straight flight with minimal fade. Wind, of course, becomes more of a factor with an understable driver.

Edit: bradharris makes a good point - in the woods, staying on the fairway is more important than a few extra feet of distance.

Good luck!

Last edited:
The Volt suggestions are pretty solid. But I'll throw my vote in for the Discmania FD. Feels very similar to a TL, but is packed with more glide, giving it that easy distance potential. It might be an easier transition than going to a wider rim.

This thread reads like my life story a few months ago.

Background: I throw teebirds/TL;s as my main driver. I carry 4 or 5 in my bag, champ TB, 2-3 Tl's in various wear, and a beat DX TB. I throw them an average golf distance of 280-330ish but can get them close to 350 in a field if I try.

I use predators and sidewinders (speed 9) for utility discs. Anything else in the speed 9-11 range doesn't go any further than a teebird for me, and I've tried them ALL.

I used to use Nukes for max D, but again they barely broke 350. Couldn't get them up to the proper speed. Switched to pro Destroyers, problem solved; smaller rim, better throws, 350-375 distance well past my trusty TL's.

Now, I know I should be throwing further. that's fine, I'll get there but also realize I'm 37 years old. I'm gaining distance but at a VERRRY slow clip. Sometimes when people say, 'just learn to throw a teebird 400', they forget that not everyone has the ability, time, or age/genetics to just hop right on that.

I too wanted that 'sweet spot pro destroyer' longer than a TL distance with the laser like accuracy of the TL. Pro destroyers work for about 2 days, then they have too much lateral movement from wear.

Enter the Vibram Lace. Now, I am NOT a Vibram fanboy; I actually don't like any of their other discs, at all. Just not for me. But I tried the Lace on a whim and, it is what you seek; a 'sweet spot' pro Destroyer that goes further than a TL, on the same controllable lines. It does wear in but very slowly.

The only drawback to it is jumping from a speed 7 rim to a speed 12. It takes some getting used to, but it's worth a shot.

I understand the points on getting my fairways out farther and that losing control for distance isn't a winning proposition. Hell, in my past tourney (on a 6000 ft course) I threw Distance Driver x 2 (once for just cause my Boss is the easiest 330' meathook I can throw ), Fairway x 8 and Midrange x 8 off of the tee. I just want to sneak a driver 30' feet out past my TL/Teebird/Leopard range when given the chance.