• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need advice on distance part 2

MaineDisc

I've been reading about practicing driving with a putter to get your form down. So, I researched what people were using for this and went out and bought a nova, soft magnet, pro aviar, kc pro rock (I know, I have a sickness and it wa payday). Anyways, I started throwing them just under 100' but eventually worked up to about 150 after a couple hours. The problem is, almost every time I throw the disc is wobbling. I know this is killing my distance, I just can't figure out how to stop it. Any suggestions would be appreciated !!

Question sounds very familiar to where I was several months ago when I first made an account here. Quite simply I wanted to know if the symptoms of a disc flying like (this) what problem is that indicating? The frustrating answer is "quite possibly all kinds of things."

Fast forward months I wish I would have gone and recorded myself back then. I may have ended up pretty discouraged since I was an absolute train wreck that was managing to very occasionally rip a disc to huge distances but more often than not stick them in trees or skip across the parking lot or... an number of issues. I was stubborn and really I wanted to work through it myself. I feel like i've made lots of progress and i'm still trying to get to a wall with my progress before posting a video here, BUT I would recommend to anyone else do just that. Record a video and post it in the critique section.

When you do that ALSO go through a bunch of those threads and see what others are doing and what the advice is. Watch the videos people post and see the feedback and start to learn yourself what is bad and what is good in a throw, then when people point out issues in your throw you should have a better understanding about what they are pointing out. ALSO, don't hesitate to ask questions and clarification on the responses. Very common thing in that section is that people feel like they are being a bother with too many questions but from what i've seen it is the exact opposite. The more conversation about your form and issues and fixing them the more it helps the better the advice seems to get.

fwiw... there will be several key moments when certain things start clicking and you see immediate gains. I could go on and on about this but one of the most important ones for me was making sure to lean forward when you throw. This aligned my weight shift and immediately gave me more distance. Also...don't worry about accuracy as you're learning how to throw for distance. What's going to happen is the disc is going to be released more to the right as your arm speed/power increases and your brain hasn't caught up yet. This is normal but some people think this is failing and stop the progress due to not having accurate throws.

I've been reading about practicing driving with a putter to get your form down. So, I researched what people were using for this and went out and bought a nova, soft magnet, pro aviar, kc pro rock (I know, I have a sickness and it wa payday). Anyways, I started throwing them just under 100' but eventually worked up to about 150 after a couple hours. The problem is, almost every time I throw the disc is wobbling. I know this is killing my distance, I just can't figure out how to stop it. Any suggestions would be appreciated !!

A video of you throwing would help, including a close up of your grip. I've never had a wobble issue so I'm not sure what's causing yours, but it could be grip related or a lack of spin, or both. Can you throw an ultimate with no wobble?

If you alter nose or wing angle after you begin to get the disc up to speed, it will wobble from the opposing forces of the initial axis planes of travel and the last second changes to those same planes.

Work on keeping those two angles unchanged through your entire pull through.

You should be able to do this despite differing grips.