• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need help- Noobs bag

tarheel1936

I just started disc golfing this summer but just recently started expanding my disc collection. Im 17 years old and generally throw LHFH although im planning on improving my backhand soon. I just recently started being able to get some drivers past 300ft, maybe as far as 350 on my best throw. Im also finding that i prefer discs in the mid 160's over the heavier ones.

What ive got so far:
167g Star Valkyrie- very good condition
Pretty recent purchase but already my favorite disc in the bag. Can throw it the farthest and absolutely love how straight it flies for me

175g Star FireBird- Like new condition
This is actually my brothers disc but i used it for the first time yesterday and loved the huge curve and skip i got on it. Thinking picking up one would be a good addition to my bag because i need a disc thats got a good curve

170g Star Eagle- Like new condition
I like this disc's straight flight path but find i dont use it much, maybe because i cant throw it very far (would rather use a mid range)

150g dx leopard- pretty beat up
Used to use this all the time but now i hardly ever do. It pretty much just flips over everytime i throw it

165g KC Pro Roc- pretty good condition
Use this disc alot but im not in love with it like some are. I think it might be the rim that im not crazy about

176g dx stingray- decent condition
i use this one for shorter approach shots. feels a little heavier than i would like. the only reason i ever use it is for shots when i need it to slide right next to the hole- i find it very good for that.

171g star aviar- pretty good condition
Kinda regret this purchase, i feel pretty uncomfortable with it for some reason and realized that the star plastic is not necessary for a putter.

Any comments/ suggestions? I think i really do need to get a new putter, the star aviar doesnt feel right to me. I used my bros dx aviar yesterday and sunk 2 40+ putts with it but i still didnt feel very comfortable with the shape of it. Any suggestions on putters that arent aviars?

Sorry for the lengthyness but ive been meaning to do this for a while and i wanna be descriptive.

any help will be much appreciated. Thank you!

man get a gateway wizard, youll never switch putters again, or if you dont want a bead get the gateway warlock same thing as the wiz just without the bead, its a personal preference.

Try a lighter eagle for sure. if you are throwin 300+ you should be able to get some good straight throws from it (if your form is relatively clean)

buy/trade/try any and every putter you can get your hands on. sooner or later you will find one you like. ditch the dx and get r pro for innova, or try some gateway super stupid soft. it can help alot especially as a beginner to have the xtra advantage of grippy putters.

i would suggest keeping the firebird use to a minimum for a while, unless you need to throw some big hyzer/meathook shots. mabye im wrong here. do what feels good. but if your throwing it correctly it should go pretty straight for the beginning of the flight. its a tough disc to get a handle on and you can always come back to it later.

for sure get a slightly heaver, maybe pro or star leopard. you'll love it.

try a buzzz!!

then again, i kinda forgot that you are throwing FH. so......things will bea lil diff. but, if you throw flat and straight, the same principles will apply,

my first suggestion for you is to find something to replace your roc and aviars if they dont feel right to you. if you want to stay with innova i would suggest possibly a mako or even a roc+. if your willing to try other companies i would say try a buzz. im a die hard roc thrower but my buddies all throw buzzes and i have always been able to put the buzz on the same line as my rocs for the most part. as for putter it depends on what shape your looking for. are you wanting a low profiled shape?? if so maybe try a classic roc. or challengers arent to bad either from what i recall. now when i started out to i used to flick all the time but now im a primary backhand thrower. when i first started backhanding i picked up a sidewinder. i feel a understable disc is a good start to backhanding to help you get your form and snap down. when i was able to consistently turn it over or hyzer flip it i moved up a stability. it worked for me and possibly could work for you.

man get a gateway wizard, youll never switch putters again, or if you dont want a bead get the gateway warlock same thing as the wiz just without the bead, its a personal preference.

i'll make sure one of those will be my next purchase, thanks alot. my brothers and friends all look at me like im crazy that i dislike the star aviar so ive never gotten any other suggestions

Try a lighter eagle for sure. if you are throwin 300+ you should be able to get some good straight throws from it (if your form is relatively clean)

buy/trade/try any and every putter you can get your hands on. sooner or later you will find one you like. ditch the dx and get r pro for innova, or try some gateway super stupid soft. it can help alot especially as a beginner to have the xtra advantage of grippy putters.

i would suggest keeping the firebird use to a minimum for a while, unless you need to throw some big hyzer/meathook shots. mabye im wrong here. do what feels good. but if your throwing it correctly it should go pretty straight for the beginning of the flight. its a tough disc to get a handle on and you can always come back to it later.

for sure get a slightly heaver, maybe pro or star leopard. you'll love it.

try a buzzz!!

then again, i kinda forgot that you are throwing FH. so......things will bea lil diff. but, if you throw flat and straight, the same principles will apply,

thanks alot for all the suggestions. ill put a new eagle and leopard on my to buy list. and for the firebird i had some horrible shots with it at first but once i released it at an angle i flew straight and and a great curve at the end, something that i havent been able to get with any other discs. does it usually fly straight?

my first suggestion for you is to find something to replace your roc and aviars if they dont feel right to you. if you want to stay with innova i would suggest possibly a mako or even a roc+. if your willing to try other companies i would say try a buzz. im a die hard roc thrower but my buddies all throw buzzes and i have always been able to put the buzz on the same line as my rocs for the most part. as for putter it depends on what shape your looking for. are you wanting a low profiled shape?? if so maybe try a classic roc. or challengers arent to bad either from what i recall. now when i started out to i used to flick all the time but now im a primary backhand thrower. when i first started backhanding i picked up a sidewinder. i feel a understable disc is a good start to backhanding to help you get your form and snap down. when i was able to consistently turn it over or hyzer flip it i moved up a stability. it worked for me and possibly could work for you.

my bro has a mako and ive thrown it maybe twice but i was really pleased with the feel of it and how straight it threw. ive always wanted to try a buzz cause ive heard so much about them but havent gotten the chance too. I am willing to try other companies but i feel like a have a pretty good knowledge of innova discs as opposed to knowing little to nothing about all other companies. and for backhand i think i could pick it up pretty easily, i only threw backhand once yesterday about when i did i threw the roc about 250 ft. maybe a little more but it was a good bit off the direction i was intending. not anything impressive but i thought it was a decent throw for very little backhand experience.

If the Roc and Aviar are bugging you, find something that's more comfortable in your hand. A Wasp is a more apples-to-apples comparison with a Roc than a Buzzz is, but the Buzzz (like the Roc) is a phenomenal disc.

Other than that your bag looks pretty good...I think for the amout of time you've been playing you have about as many molds as you need. Any more and you're just overwhelming yourself.

If the Roc and Aviar are bugging you, find something that's more comfortable in your hand. A Wasp is a more apples-to-apples comparison with a Roc than a Buzzz is, but the Buzzz (like the Roc) is a phenomenal disc.

Other than that your bag looks pretty good...I think for the amout of time you've been playing you have about as many molds as you need. Any more and you're just overwhelming yourself.

i agree with you on the overwhelming part, i probably didnt word my post as well as i should have. the main reason why i created this post was to get suggestions on what putters i should try out because thats been bugging me for a while. another big reason was to get suggestions on a replacement for the roc, probably either a mako or a buzzz and i also wanted to see if people thought if it would be a good idea to get a firebird. i do plan on giving the roc another 2-4 before i give up on it. and lastly opinons on disc weights and any future suggestions for drivers ect.

The star aviar for putting just isn't a good mix I feel. A DX Aviar is a different disc all together and excels at putting and driving up to 200 feet or so. You can't go wrong with adding one to your bag. The Leopard is a great disc as well, but at 150 and beat, there isn't much you can do with that. A heavy 170's DX or a 160's pro Leopard and you are good.

Putters you just gotta go by feel. You can search and see what power/aggressive people use vs. more finesse style putting, but in the end how it feels to hold and throw should be the primary deciding factor.

I think a Wasp or Hornet would be a better FH mid, but the Buzzz, Buzzz SS, or Mako a better BH mid...so depends on what you want to do with it.

As far as weights, keep 'em consistent until you get more experience (rounds) under your belt, then branch out and try different things.

Finally, I think the Firebird is fine in that bag, it seems to synergize and be useful both for FH distance and BH hyzers/strong-fading shots.

hope this helps!

It took me 10 years to finally find a putter that I liked. I have tried aviars, magnets, challengers, rocs, wizards, warlocks, #2 upshot, and a couple others but the focus just feels right. It can be a long process just keep putting your hands on as many different discs as you can and eventually one will just tell you it is the one.

Yeah X-out packages are the way to go for trying putters on the cheap.

Latest posts