• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need help overstable discs for Sidearm / flick

OrpikSmash

TL :DR Anyone got a list of Most over stable / forehand flick friendly discs from each manufacturer.

I am new to the game (April 2014) so don't know which manufactures disc model are best for forehand/flick or over stable . I would like to get one from each company/manufacture to test if anyone knows one let me know please.

I throw Left hand Forehand/Flick and from research need a more over-stable disc. Side arm pitched during my baseball days and can flick a disc fast and hard. I can accurately drive it 300 feet and below but If I put more than 40% flick/power behind it, it just goes 25-35 degrees or more off tee keeps turning right and never fades back left. Have tried different release points, angles, technique to no avail. When throwing a Vibram Ascent can increase to about 60% flick/power till it does same thing as Lace. With being able to put more power into my Ascent and still be accurate came to conclusion need more over stable disc(Correct me if wrong).

Ascent / Wraith is my most over stable driver. Vibram lace is the one I can drive farthest and can accurately place it for birdies and have hit chains and basket on drives of 300 feet and below.(Strawberry Park CT, Millwood Creek CT).
Disc I am looking to try so far but have not Innova StarMax - Vibram Olace, Discraft Nuke OS/Flick
Drivers I own Vibram Ascent, Lace, Trak / Innova Beast, Wraith, Groove, Leopard

Corrections to that not 300 feet, 225-250 have hit the pin on hole 5 at strawberry with lace @ 280 feet and can birdie it every 3 runs with pars in between with bad puts (I am working on that to) All driver I own are 170g+ except the 150 wraith 166 beast

Last edited:
I was a sidearm pitcher as well, but I was throwing 300' off the bat with a 172g Champ Banshee and wasn't long after I could throw a 170g Star Wraith 400'. I also threw 175g Champ Sidewinders on hyzer flips when I first started hence my name. Most any disc can be thrown FH. Make sure your palm finishes facing the sky, so it's actually more submarine/underhanded. I wouldn't recommend a Max, that thing will mess up your form and is a meat hook, it seeks the ground asap, I probably max 350' with a max. The type of plastic can make a huge difference in the stability and to a lesser extent the weight. The Discraft Pulse is probably a good disc for you and the others I've mentioned above.

This was a 150g Bliz Boss around 420':

Last edited:
Forcing yourself to learn to throw stable to understable disc's is your best bet. Overstable disc's mask form issues. Learn to throw that Beast and Leopard well. Also practice a lot with stable to understable mids. If you can learn to get a comet out to 275' without turning it over you will be doing really well with everything else you throw.

I'm a former baseball player also. I find the Nuke and Force very forehand friendly. It is something about the shape of the wing that let's me get a cleaner release than some discs. The Krait is my favorite Innova disc for forehand although it is better for distance with a little flex. The Prometheus is a very good forehand disc.

^^^ what sidewinder said about the palm up.
my buddy throws LHFH 80% of his shots. if he would just take that advice and learn to throw it flat
and let the disc " do its thing " ... he could be a monster off the tee.
i like the trespass off the tee for a straight shot, and the crank if i need a little more fade.

Sidewinder thanks the video. When I do put the more power into them they do go out over 300 feet just does the slow turn right with no fade. The wraith is a DX 150g. Will continue working on my form and check out the Pulse.

Rch84 My home course Millwood Creek is RHBH favored and heavly treed I am forced to flick lots of tunnels and low ceiling turns. I would say 16 of the 20 holes I flick the other 4 I back hand. I also prefer the backhand.

^^^ what sidewinder said about the palm up.
my buddy throws LHFH 80% of his shots. if he would just take that advice and learn to throw it flat
and let the disc " do its thing " ... he could be a monster off the tee.
i like the trespass off the tee for a straight shot, and the crank if i need a little more fade.

That is a focus of mine feels like I keep it up. Play with 3-4 guys regularly and they have no clue why I turn it so far right when I try to launch it. I am told my palm is finishing up, Guess I got to resource outside my friend circle for critiques. Maybe they don't want to hurt my feelings.

Sidewinder thanks the video. When I do put the more power into them they do go out over 300 feet just does the slow turn right with no fade. The wraith is a DX 150g. Will continue working on my form and check out the Pulse.

Rch84 My home course Millwood Creek is RHBH favored and heavly treed I am forced to flick lots of tunnels and low ceiling turns. I would say 16 of the 20 holes I flick the other 4 I back hand. I also prefer the backhand.
Yeah a DX 150g Wraith will flip easily, get a heavier Champ or Star plastic and it will fly like a totally different disc.

Yeah a DX 150g Wraith will flip easily, get a heavier Champ or Star plastic and it will fly like a totally different disc.

Like the sound that will try Thanks. Looks like I got a pretty good shopping list going so far. The Beast is a 166g Dx plastic to.

Like the sound that will try Thanks. Looks like I got a pretty good shopping list going so far. The Beast is a 166g Dx plastic to.
DX and ProD plastic loses it's stability fairly quick, I don't throw drivers in DX anymore because they change too quick. The premo plastics will not only start more stable but hold it much much longer.

I'm a former baseball player also. I find the Nuke and Force very forehand friendly. It is something about the shape of the wing that let's me get a cleaner release than some discs. The Krait is my favorite Innova disc for forehand although it is better for distance with a little flex. The Prometheus is a very good forehand disc.

Did you ever try the nuke O.S on a flick?
The Prometheus looks like a buy thanks for the suggesting.

DX and ProD plastic loses it's stability fairly quick, I don't throw drivers in DX anymore because they change too quick. The premo plastics will not only start more stable but hold it much much longer.
Yea just got dx with the 2 started packs bought. Now trying to upgrade out of them.I also got a champion Groove but use it for thumbers. Just did not want to go out and buy a bunch of premium plastic with out a little input from some seasoned players.

Forcing yourself to learn to throw stable to understable disc's is your best bet. Overstable disc's mask form issues. Learn to throw that Beast and Leopard well. Also practice a lot with stable to understable mids. If you can learn to get a comet out to 275' without turning it over you will be doing really well with everything else you throw.

I can flick my McBeast Roc3 pretty straight. Not sure how comparable to a comet that is. But will look into a Comet to thanks.

I can flick my McBeast Roc3 pretty straight. Not sure how comparable to a comet that is. But will look into a Comet to thanks.

Comet will be very hard to throw for you at first I am guessing. It is a finesse disc. It shows form issues very easily. It will be frustrating but worth it in the long run. I wish I would have learned to trow them sooner.

I was a sidearm pitcher as well, but I was throwing 300' off the bat with a 172g Champ Banshee and wasn't long after I could throw a 170g Star Wraith 400'. I also threw 175g Champ Sidewinders on hyzer flips when I first started hence my name. Most any disc can be thrown FH. Make sure your palm finishes facing the sky, so it's actually more submarine/underhanded. I wouldn't recommend a Max, that thing will mess up your form and is a meat hook, it seeks the ground asap, I probably max 350' with a max. The type of plastic can make a huge difference in the stability and to a lesser extent the weight. The Discraft Pulse is probably a good disc for you and the others I've mentioned above.

This was a 150g Bliz Boss around 420':
How can you throw your discs onto the pavement like that? :eek:

:p

Comet will be very hard to throw for you at first I am guessing. It is a finesse disc. It shows form issues very easily. It will be frustrating but worth it in the long run. I wish I would have learned to trow them sooner.

O yea? Sounds like a buyer to me thanks for the tip.