• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need help overstable discs for Sidearm / flick

Like with the backhand, overstable discs are either necessary for some special curve shots that an understable disc just wont do OR a crutch to try and fix your form flaws. Second is bad, very bad.

I am mainly a backhand player, but when I throw a forehand, I use exactly the same disc that I would use for exactly the same shot backhand if the hole were mirrored. You can shape exactly the same lines with forehand that you can shape with backhand. Hyzer flips, rollers, gentle Anhyzers, you name it.

Just learn to control your discs. Way better than hammering the most overstable thing you find and screwing up your form while doing so.

Moving from Fairway to Distance with FH?

Figured I would tag along with this thread. I primarily throw RHBH (max about 425'). I have been working hard to add a FH over the past year.

I actually feel more comfortable flicking putters, mids, fairways then distance drivers. I use the FH mostly for upshots or the occasional get out of trouble.

I can flick my putters about 200 (Ion), mids 250 (Vector) and FW's 300-325 (T-Bird/Volt).

My form is fairly clean I think. I use a small x-step on drives with an arm motion similar to McBeth (disc starts almost vertical on the back swing). I use a one finger grip with my index on the rim. When I have tried anything else my forearm and wrist seem to tighten up and I can't get nearly as much snap on the disc.

My question is what do I need to do to step up into faster discs to push beyond the 325 mark? If I try to throw anything faster than a FW it feels like I have to release it with a big anny flex instead of using my normal form.

If I hit it just right FH, I can get maybe 350-360 with a Destroyer like disc but it is very inconsistent and feels like I am OAT'ing it like crazy.
I have watched a ton of good videos on how to improve my BH where it is broken down to the gnats ass in detail. I have seen a few decent FH videos but the explanation of the pieces of the throw and the rhythm aren't nearly as well explained.

Long way of saying, do I need to increase arm speed, spin, use more body, longer reach back or what?

Unfortunately I don't have a video but even some feedback on the theory behind the FH throw to generate 400' drives would be helpful. A condensed version similar to what is posted on DGR for BH throws by Blake is I guess what I am hoping for. Thanks

Sidewinder thanks the video. When I do put the more power into them they do go out over 300 feet just does the slow turn right with no fade. The wraith is a DX 150g. Will continue working on my form and check out the Pulse.

Rch84 My home course Millwood Creek is RHBH favored and heavly treed I am forced to flick lots of tunnels and low ceiling turns. I would say 16 of the 20 holes I flick the other 4 I back hand. I also prefer the backhand.

This is the one thing that caught my attention that confused me a little. Are you saying you prefer throwing backhand over forehand, but you still throw forehand most of the time? I throw both, but prefer backhand, and throw backhand probably 75% of the time. Just wanted to get a little clarification on that.

Figured I would tag along with this thread. I primarily throw RHBH (max about 425'). I have been working hard to add a FH over the past year.

I actually feel more comfortable flicking putters, mids, fairways then distance drivers. I use the FH mostly for upshots or the occasional get out of trouble.

I can flick my putters about 200 (Ion), mids 250 (Vector) and FW's 300-325 (T-Bird/Volt).

My form is fairly clean I think. I use a small x-step on drives with an arm motion similar to McBeth (disc starts almost vertical on the back swing). I use a one finger grip with my index on the rim. When I have tried anything else my forearm and wrist seem to tighten up and I can't get nearly as much snap on the disc.

My question is what do I need to do to step up into faster discs to push beyond the 325 mark? If I try to throw anything faster than a FW it feels like I have to release it with a big anny flex instead of using my normal form.

If I hit it just right FH, I can get maybe 350-360 with a Destroyer like disc but it is very inconsistent and feels like I am OAT'ing it like crazy.
I have watched a ton of good videos on how to improve my BH where it is broken down to the gnats ass in detail. I have seen a few decent FH videos but the explanation of the pieces of the throw and the rhythm aren't nearly as well explained.

Long way of saying, do I need to increase arm speed, spin, use more body, longer reach back or what?

Unfortunately I don't have a video but even some feedback on the theory behind the FH throw to generate 400' drives would be helpful. A condensed version similar to what is posted on DGR for BH throws by Blake is I guess what I am hoping for. Thanks
I would suspect grip is an issue. I think using the middle finger is key to power. lol Proper use of the body as well.

I would suspect grip is an issue. I think using the middle finger is key to power. lol Proper use of the body as well.

Thanks Sidewinder. I guess I'll give the Avery grip another try. That seemed to be the next best option for me.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post along with the time you spend answering posts from everyone else. I don't post much but I read a ton and you also provide solid, detailed answers for people. Keep it up.

I think using the middle finger is key to power
when taken OUT of context... that has to be one of the funniest things i have read in my short time here.
on topic tho... i totally agree. i started trying to throw RHFH w/ only my " pointer " finger.
throwing the same discs i was using for RHBH shots... they had way more " fade "... so i switched to
some understable discs... got the hang of that...but still the same results.
came on here, did some reading.. added " the power finger " and my FH flick very quickly became my
fav upshot... and long putt.
off the tee i have to really focus on the follow thru and " stepping thru the shot. "
i can't get much more than 320 out of my FH... but i love the control from 250 in.

This is the one thing that caught my attention that confused me a little. Are you saying you prefer throwing backhand over forehand, but you still throw forehand most of the time? I throw both, but prefer backhand, and throw backhand probably 75% of the time. Just wanted to get a little clarification on that.

I prefer LHFH. The last sentence with "I Prefer backhand" is wrong thank you Knettles.

Ace Ace Baby

Went and played today and after a little more tweaking of form started getting the Vibram Lace nice and flat. Played best 2 rounds at Strawberry park to date. Took an afternoon break, did an early evening round at Millwood Creek and banged out my first ACE!!!!:D
Thanks for the tips pointers and Videos. Going to continue working on my form but the improvement so far is extremely noticeable.

Special thanks to Sidewinder22 and Fraser

Attachments

• 1st Ace.jpg
    1st Ace.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 14
Congrats on your first ace! Keep up the good work on your form. Looks like it's paying off. I'm glad sidewinder and I (and the others) have been a help to you.

Last edited: