• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need some help with my form!!!

I think I got the feeling for the hips. Before I was just going through the x step and in the door frame drill my hips turn farther back because I'm holding onto something immovable. But now during the reach back in my actual throw I have to consciously turn the hips that far back.

Previously hips only turned away from the target maybe 100 to 110 degrees but if I consciously try to turn the hips back I can get to 140 to 150 degrees. Haven't actually tried throwing like this yet but have been going through the motions at work and at home. Its almost like clearing the rear hip in the backswing. Does that sound right?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Yeah that's exactly right. Think about throwing a punch with your right hand. You clear your left hip back, right hip forward. The backswing is essentially this, you have leverage through your left foot in the ground, clear the left back out of the way (actually rotates backwards toward target) and turn right hip back from target, to give room to swing the disc back. Use the hips to turn the torso, which turns the upper arm as a unit.

Then when you land on the plant foot, the right hip will clear out of the way to provide room to swing through.

Awesome. Good to know what that actually feels like, ive been feeling that in the door frame drill countless times but hadn't put it together until now. I'm thinking the hips coupled with a wider reach back is going to drastically improve my distance after working on it, cuz I'm sure this is going to throw my timing off a bit lol

And if your balance is right it should all work together. This turn back into the hip will turn the torso back causing the reachback, and it will also close your front leg so that you can just drop down to the heel like the end of the door frame drill, keeping the front side closed. You won't really have to think about it all, it will just work out. The hardest part then is waiting until you land to have any forward motion, to not "throw" early or do anything to push the torso really...of course you have to leave the back foot though.

Yep, Hogan Power Move / Buttwipe is clearing the rear hip in backswing.

The funny thing is that ive done the drills and watched the videos a million times but have never put that together. And once I did it in inside practice throws a big ol lightbulb went off. This whole time I thought as long as the hips stayed closed into the plant that I was doing the move correctly. It waant until ur last critique sidewinder that it made me start to really wonder what I was doing wrong/what I was missing.

Alright. No significant consistent progress. But I wanted to ask u guys about something.

I was going through all of my videos and noticed that in the more recent videos it looks like my follow through is off plane with the shot. Whenever I film a video I go for a flat shot. No hyzer no anhyzer just flat. But in those video it appears that my arm goes higher in the follow through like I might be trying to throw a slight hyzer shot or something.

Would u guys agree with this? Is that something to worry about?

Yeah, you aren't maintaining a swing plane. There is no such thing as a flat swing plane, it's either hyzer or anhyzer. Either flip something to flat or anhyzer something to flat.

Wait. What? I'm not disagreeing with u here but what about when Mcbeth laces a flat Nova shot? Wouldnt that be considered a flat plane swing? This just kind of confuses me but I'm intrigued at the same time.

I've gone through this already. FWIW I think a flat release is possible, even if the swing plane is on a wave.

SW would say a straight nova lace would actually have a very minor amount of hyzer release it pops up to flat on.

With how the body works, it's impossible to swing your arm and disc on a flat plane. Your spine would have to maintain perfect vertical and arm and disc maintain perfect horizontal. You can keep the disc relatively flat, but your body and arm have to rotate through the swing in some fashion.

Trying to release flat is also by far the least consistent. 1 degree off in any direction(nose up/down or wing up/down) and you can get wildly different results, you will also tend to spray more left and right. If you want to throw on 10 degree hyzer, you have much larger margin of error to get similar result.

Ah ok. I gotcha. That makes alot of sense and explains why using the same disc it will turn over 70% of the time and the remaining it won't.

Latest posts