• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need some veteran feedback

WallBall1995

I'm a beginning disc golf player. Been playing about 2 months but I have played 1-2 rounds a day during that time and have greatly improved. Just looking for some feedback from the experienced guys on what to add or subtract. I will note that I have no loyalty to any brand so I'm willing to try anything.

Sex: M
Other sports: baseball
Throw: RHBH
Avg drive: 250 ft.
Max drive: 300 ft.

Drivers:
Avenger SS (slightly beat), 165, Pro-D - flies straight
Tee Bird (new), 172, champion - flies straight to slightly OS
Tee Bird (very beat), 152, DX - flies slightly anny
Underworld (new), 169, Tournament - big anny line

Mid:
Buzzz, 171, X
Buzzz, 177, Z

Putter:
Aviar, 172
Soft Magnet, 163
Anode, Soft Glow Proton

I have been rotating the three putters for my main putter and driving putter for really short holes. I just really don't know which one I prefer yet.

I was given a Z Glide. Haven't really thrown it in a round yet so not sure what it does.

Thanks in advance.

My advice for new players is to remember that there is no such thing as a magic disc. The best thing you can do is learn the basics of the game and practice the physics of throwing different ways (hyzers & anhyzers).
I think you've got a great start with the TeeBirds and Buzzzs. I carry multiple versions of both those molds to this day because they offer a lot of control. The X & DX plastic isn't the best, but since you have Z & Champ versions of the same disc, you'll be fine.
I'd recommend adding a star wraith in the mid 160s for a little more distance than the TeeBirds. And, once you settle on a putter, get a couple more of that one, so you can practice consistently with the same mold. You can usually find over stable versions of the same mold for driving.
Lastly, though competition is good, remember most of us are out there for fun so don't take the game or yourself too seriously.
Good luck

Nice setup so far!

Learn to drive with your Z buzzz and anode and try to stick to 1 'putting putter'

I agree...one putter. Get backups in exact same weight, plastic. Might want to try a max weight putter in each mold before you decide which one to stick with.

Setup looks pretty good.

I think you should keep two putters. Eventually you should have one dedicated for putting and approaching and another for approaching and driving. Both should be a little different in stabilities so they can be interchangible. Personally I like to use Judges for putting and short approaches because it is slightly understable, making it great powering down an approach. The Ion is simply one of the best driving putters out there.

However, this strategy is more on the advanced side. I recommend two putters for you so you can start breaking one in to become that go-to super-beat reliable putter all veterans seem to carry. Use the Anode now as your putter and everything disc; its durability will keep it at its stability for a long time as you work on your technique and form. The last thing you want is a disc that changes in stability as you are just figuring out how to play in general. Then keep either the Aviar or the Magnet, which you feel fits better in your hands, and just play around with it. Beat it up, take second shots during rec rounds, play catch with a friend with it, etc, and learn what it can do in a non-competitive environment. As you begin to learn proper technique for finesse shots, you are going to be amazed by what a broken in putter can do and eventually that will become your main putter.

The rest of your line-up looks really solid for where you are at. With great form and trust in your discs, you really do not need a wide-rimmed driver because unless you are a super freak, you will eventually be able to get a TeeBird or such out just as far as any wide-rimmed driver. The lines may be a little different but the net result will be close to the same. However, if you are going to step up to a wide-rim driver, I usually recommend working your way up the rim width. Good early choices would be Trespass (2.1 cm), Destroyers (2.2cm), or Hurricanes (2.3cm). Stuff like Halos, Nukes, and Bosses are going to be (2.5cm). I find that the wider the rim, the harder it is to get your wrist to snap on flat throws. Obviously this is different for everyone because everyone's anatomy is different, but this is the reason that the Trespass has been the best distance driver I have ever thrown.

If there is something I would recommend now, it is to get a slightly overstable mid (Wasp, Hornets, Tensors, etc). The Z Buzzz likely has some beef to do, but with winds or hard hyzer dumps, it is nice to have that utility in your bag. If you want to pull double duty, maybe get a really overstable putter like a Rhyno, Pig, or Zone.

I appreciate all the advice guys. I will admit I have had somewhat of a putter controversy, but the strategy smarkquart laid out makes a lot of sense so Ill give that a run. Ill definitely add a few more or the same mold once I settle in.

I appreciate all the advice guys. I will admit I have had somewhat of a putter controversy, but the strategy smarkquart laid out makes a lot of sense so Ill give that a run. Ill definitely add a few more or the same mold once I settle in.

I prefer one mold in various stages of wear. :)

It's definitely a preference thing, no one "right" way to do it. I just like knowing my putter (whether driving or putting) is always going to feel the same in my hand.

I think your bag is fine. Smarkquart has some good advice. Maybe add a 165 Star Teebird to eventually replace the light DX Teebird as a slight turnover driver. Work on technique to try and gain distance. Wait on the faster stuff till your technique/skill improves. Buzz to 280 and Teebird to 330 consistently flat ground no wind.

I prefer one mold in various stages of wear. :)

It's definitely a preference thing, no one "right" way to do it. I just like knowing my putter (whether driving or putting) is always going to feel the same in my hand.

The debate between one mold in various stages of wear against using multiple molds out of the box is going to go on forever, but what is amazing is that the end result will always be the same.

Having one mold means that you do not have to alter your grip when you switch up discs.

Using several molds means that if you do lose one at a certain stability, it is easier and quicker to replace.

Regardless, our advice is the same. Eventually the smart thing to do is to carry multiple putters that cover a wider range of stability. However, that is something down the road. Learning power, snap, body positioning, and wrist angle needs to come first before a person really should care about or start manipulating the stabilities in one's bag.

Someone mentioned there is no 1 Magic disc. I will have to disagree.

That Magic disc is a Discraft Comet.

It's a midrange that will greatly improve your form and is one of the best discs in the game. If you are throwing badly it will let you know as it will turn and burn,if you are throwing it correctly it will greatly reward you. Once you can manipulate this disc to do what you want it to do then you are where you need to be with your form.

You will be glad you purchased this disc. :thmbup:

Nailed my first ace with that 150 DX Tee Bird today. Might have to retire that one now. Been meaning to start using a slightly heavier Tee Bird in better plastic for slight turnover shots.

Nailed my first ace with that 150 DX Tee Bird today. Might have to retire that one now. Been meaning to start using a slightly heavier Tee Bird in better plastic for slight turnover shots.

Why?! :eek:

It's getting you ACES, man, it's magical! ;)

In my experience it hasn't been too easy to turn over a Teebird in premium plastic. My star is 167 and it doesn't even think of turning