• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New batch of DX plastic?

I got a DX Viking about a month ago & it is more flexible & has a sort of waxy feel compared to my DX Birds. It has the flight ratings on the stamp. It seemed less stable than the ratings out of the box. On another DX note, & I asked this before & got no response, anybody thrown an Echo DX Aero? They have them on DGC every now & then

I recently got my wife a 150 DX Leopard and it's real gummy/flexy/grippy. Feels real nice actually. I have an older max weight DX Leopard thats super firm, like you could beat someone to death with it. I thought the difference in feel was due to the weight difference but maybe not?

I believe its what a previous poster had mentioned, its inconsistencies from batch to batch.All of Innovas plastics vary greatly.I've got DX discs that are firm and durable and others that get nicked and dented if you look at them wrong.Champions can be stiff and rock hard or soft and gummy..just depends.

I believe its what a previous poster had mentioned, its inconsistencies from batch to batch.All of Innovas plastics vary greatly.I've got DX discs that are firm and durable and others that get nicked and dented if you look at them wrong.Champions can be stiff and rock hard or soft and gummy..just depends.

I am hoping that this ^ is the case. Otherwise I like thunderchickens idea that it was just really fresh.

That Viking was just so different then any of my other DX discs... it had me worried.

i am always surprised at how companies can have inconsistancy in a product.

it would seem like the providers of materials to the pressing factory would want to be as consistant as possible or the pressing factory may get a new material provider...

but, obviously, i'm missing something because every manufacturer is inconsistant to some degree

i am always surprised at how companies can have inconsistancy in a product.

it would seem like the providers of materials to the pressing factory would want to be as consistant as possible or the pressing factory may get a new material provider...

but, obviously, i'm missing something because every manufacturer is inconsistant to some degree
I think the issue is that none of the disc golf companies, or probably not even all of them combined, buy enough plastic to have any sort of say in what the suppliers do.

am i wrong or is it innova themselves that are blending plastics to create their different lines of plastic? we all know about r-pro making its way into other plastics or various degrees of CE blended into discs or the fact that star is just pro and champ mixed.

seems the inconsistency is more a matter of the ratio of the blends on innova's part than the consistency of the raw material.

Innova does almost nothing to the plastic they purchase. They purchase plastics from manufacturers, and like dyes/pigments, they are never exactly the same. Also, innova "seems" to have more inconsistencys because they manufacture about twice as many discs as all other combined disc makers. Because of this there are differences in plastics from batch to batch. For example, discraft may only mold surges once a year, whereas innova may mold wraiths 5 times a year. Also, it costs less than 50 cents in plastic to make any disc in any plastic, you pay for shipping and other overhead costs. Dave D doesn't skimp on plastic quality, quality plastic is cheap already.

Innova does almost nothing to the plastic they purchase. They purchase plastics from manufacturers, and like dyes/pigments, they are never exactly the same. Also, innova "seems" to have more inconsistencys because they manufacture about twice as many discs as all other combined disc makers. Because of this there are differences in plastics from batch to batch. For example, discraft may only mold surges once a year, whereas innova may mold wraiths 5 times a year. Also, it costs less than 50 cents in plastic to make any disc in any plastic, you pay for shipping and other overhead costs. Dave D doesn't skimp on plastic quality, quality plastic is cheap already.

The conspiracy isn't that hes skimping on quality plastics to save coin, but that hes mixing R-Pro to make DX less durable. So people have to buy more when they beat in too much!

Dave is adding more R-Pro to the Dx discs. This makes them softer and more translucent than the older ones.
It makes most of the discs fly different than they used to.
Old Dx is still better stuff though. :|

I noticed this the other day. My friend said to me, "Is that really DX or is that r-pro that's priced incorrectly?"

so you're saying that these blends and the various plastics (star, champ, etc) come to the innova factory as is and it gets molded into discs and innova has no part in the process? can anyone else verify this?

Your DX plastic is almost certainly OK. Even that waxy stuff you see flies fine and beats in better than you might think. I go through plenty of DX discs and as long as it molded up true, just throw it awhile. The dents will make it fly better, so don't worry about them. Throw it a few more times.

DX rules!

Latest posts