• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Disc Review Site

Lewmaster

Par Member
Hey Guys, sorry in advance if I'm stepping on any toes here. I wanted to let you all know that I just launched a new disc review site I have been working on in Beta. You can check it out at www.discdevil.com. I saw a thread here a while back from someone looking for a site to find disc reviews, and as a web developer it peaked my interest, so I worked tirelessly through July to get this thing cranked out.

The premise is pretty simple, it's a database of discs that users can rate and review quick and easy. I've got MOST manufacturers listed right now. Will be adding more as we go. The main thing I need right now is to get some people to actually start leaving reviews. I just launched the site yesterday night, so ATM it is pretty light on actual reviews, but I think if we can get this rolling it will be a great resource for everyone. I tried to follow a format similar to what they do on DGR, except not so ghetto.

So please, check it out if you have a minute and it would be great to get some reviews rolling in. As I mentioned, the site is only in Beta right now,so please if you have any suggestions on how to make it better, if you spot any information that isn't correct, if there are other brands you want me to add, whatever, just let me know. As long as it is relatively well received and people actually use it, I will continue to work on developing it to make it better based on your feedback.

Thanks in advance for your support

pretty good idea using photo's of the discs to navigate. i like that you included first off what the manufacturer says about the discs.

site is a bit slow but you've done way better than i could have ;) nicely done

Nice site so far. I wonder how long the Skeeter will be a top recommended disc! :D

Is it possible to get context and background of the people reviewing the discs? Discs will fly very differently for different skills, form, and throwing types.

Last edited:
The one thing that I noticed right away was that it wasn't obvious as to which flight rating you're using for any given disc. Some of the rating systems have similar looks but are on entirely different scales. For example, both the Blaze and Valkyrie are listed as speed 9 and the Blaze has a glide of 6 while the Valk only has a glide of 4. It's obvious to anyone who's thrown those two discs that they're on different scales, but the little graphic for the flight ratings looks the same on both. I could see how that might confuse someone who isn't already familiar with those discs.

@brall - site is on a crappy shared hosting plan right now, I will probably upgrade that within the next couple weeks

@jbowdown - I have fields for reviewers to enter their throwing style, years playing and average distance with the disc, to help provide context. We can definitely explore adding additional fields, but I don't want to end up with too many

@garbulador - the flight rating aspect was the hardest thing for me to wrap my head around. I'm not the greatest programmer in the world and it took me quite a bit of work just to get it to where it is now. This is definitely an area I want to improve though. I was thinking about starting with a page that has a detailed description of different manufacturer's flight ratings and then linking below the rating graphic to that page, so people can at least check that page for details on any given manufacturer's ratings. That would only really be a temporary solution, hopefully I will come up with something better long-term.

Great site layout, much better than DGR. It is clean, easy to navigate, looks to become the wikipedia of discs. Great job! You may want to consider making different sub pages for reviews of discs in different plastics, or a field to indicate which plastic the reviewer is using, in case they do not specify. Possibly just a plastics review per manufacturer. Just a thought, and the site is still great without it. Thanks for making and sharing it.

Cool, I've already added a couple of reviews and I will continue to do a couple more. Thanks. :)

Nice!

FWIW: The styling you have on the form fields makes them really hard to see on my monitor. You might want to darken them a little bit.

Awesome! I'll probably always check this site when i think i need some new disc.

The white "shadows" in the text at the yellow box (disc details) looks really bad though.

It might be worth your time to go to a more standard rating system like Joe's flight chart instead of trying to use the manufacturers' ratings.

...and I would change 'Average Distance' to 'Average Distance With This Disc' when reading the reviews, as that may cause some confusion.

The only problem I see is the average distance field. You seem to make it sound like we should put how far we throw that particular disc, but it doesn't say that on the site. It would be easy to assume you should put your max distance in that field instead of how far you throw the disc.

^^as you can see, I am not the only person to notice.

...You may want to consider making different sub pages for reviews of discs in different plastics, or a field to indicate which plastic the reviewer is using...

Agreed, i think this is a very valid point as type of plastic can have a pretty big impact on the behavior of the disc. also, is this disc being reviewed fresh off the shelf, or used, what condition is the disc in? Sorry if that is already on this site, i just skimmed through it pretty quick.

All in all, great idea and i look forward to see how the site develops. Looks like you are off to a good start.