• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Distance Record

JR, i like you and ima let you finish, but i just gotta say, lil wiggins had one of the longest throws of all time!!

Kanyewest.gif

seabas22 said:
JR said:
Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxqXHF9DPng

What do you think of his position of the head and the neck?

Looks like he is well anchored for lag.

I would like to hear from either David how come junior holds his head so far down? One can lag with the head being more upright. Judging by the usage of the airborne left leg at the release he has listened to Feldberg and possibly golf coaches. The kind of upward angle he threw at is the closest disc golf equivalent of a golf swing and it makes perfect sense to see if golf form translates to a similar arm swing plane. It is basic physics why Feldy and David junior throw with the left leg off of the ground. I just wonder if the lesser left leg movement forward for David junior vs Feldy is enough to counter the massive body rotation and arm swing. Seeing as Feldy moves the leg farther forward for more counter force to the previously mentioned movements. But Feldy does it already with control drives. To me it would make sense to maximize the left leg kick to the right and back to front movement because David junior rips harder than Feldy with control drives.

Feldy too and golfers keep their heads down. So did David junior. Caveat: i won't put money down yet along which center line David junior was pivoting before i look at these videos more closely. Without doing that i wonder if keeping the bottom of the jaw on a parallel plane as the line between the shoulders is better for power generation. Disc golfers don't need to look down at the ball to aim to hit it. I do have an unusually mobile neck and despite that i feel tension and resistance to a throw in the shoulder muscles and lower neck muscles if my bottom of the jaw is misaligned with the shoulder line. The roration of the torso below the non moving head feels unhampered when the shoulder intersection line is parallel to the bottom of my jaw. So i wonder if David could increase his power generation by removing that resistance and get 260 meters with equal winds :-D

If he rotated around the line from his right heel through the right arm pit the low hanging head would put more mass away from the axis of rotation reducing the rotational speed. So raising the head may add more power from that cause as well.

Yes i realize this was asking about improving the longest official level ground toss ever. I just think he could do better and that's better for all of us. Popcorn munching while waiting for even more distance from him :)

"Agreed. I wish Bubba Watson would drop the clubs and take up discs full time. With some exposure like that, we might be able to get the city to allow ball and disc on the same precious land in my lifetime."

That is funny, drop out of golf and the millions of dollars for disc golf and the hundreds of dollars that come with it. These purses that come with disc golf are sad. My buddy finished 2nd in this last comp here in Orgon in the pro division and all he got was 90$.lol and he payed a 50$ entrance fee. What does PDGA do with al lthe money they bring in cause clearly it is not going to the golfers.

JR said:
I would like to hear from either David how come junior holds his head so far down? One can lag with the head being more upright. Judging by the usage of the airborne left leg at the release he has listened to Feldberg and possibly golf coaches. The kind of upward angle he threw at is the closest disc golf equivalent of a golf swing and it makes perfect sense to see if golf form translates to a similar arm swing plane. It is basic physics why Feldy and David junior throw with the left leg off of the ground. I just wonder if the lesser left leg movement forward for David junior vs Feldy is enough to counter the massive body rotation and arm swing. Seeing as Feldy moves the leg farther forward for more counter force to the previously mentioned movements. But Feldy does it already with control drives. To me it would make sense to maximize the left leg kick to the right and back to front movement because David junior rips harder than Feldy with control drives.

Feldy too and golfers keep their heads down. So did David junior. Caveat: i won't put money down yet along which center line David junior was pivoting before i look at these videos more closely. Without doing that i wonder if keeping the bottom of the jaw on a parallel plane as the line between the shoulders is better for power generation. Disc golfers don't need to look down at the ball to aim to hit it. I do have an unusually mobile neck and despite that i feel tension and resistance to a throw in the shoulder muscles and lower neck muscles if my bottom of the jaw is misaligned with the shoulder line. The roration of the torso below the non moving head feels unhampered when the shoulder intersection line is parallel to the bottom of my jaw. So i wonder if David could increase his power generation by removing that resistance and get 260 meters with equal winds :-D

If he rotated around the line from his right heel through the right arm pit the low hanging head would put more mass away from the axis of rotation reducing the rotational speed. So raising the head may add more power from that cause as well.

Yes i realize this was asking about improving the longest official level ground toss ever. I just think he could do better and that's better for all of us. Popcorn munching while waiting for even more distance from him :)
I think to maintain the hyzer swing plane without the shoulder's flying open to also get massive width in the swing it helps to keep the head down through impact and helps focus on the hit. Compared to Marc Jarvis who was throwing distance anhyzers it looks like Wiggins jr. uses a lot more lateral energy than rotational. I'm not sure if Wiggins can improve the front side bracing to get more rotation without slowing the lateral speed, but he does appear to finish like a hammer thrower with the feet crossed up. Wiggins foot doesn't pivot in the traditional disc golf way through the heel, but rolls from weight on the inside of the foot to weight on the outside more like a traditional ball golfer and kachtz does this as well. IIRC kachtz has done ball golf distance contests with a club head speed of 135mph or something, as well doing as the Big D in the desert the other year and threw well over 200 meters. I think you can draw a lot of comparisons to Jamie Sadlowski and Olympic hammer throwers.

It may be a result of my neck flexibility but i can keep by bottom of the jaw parallel to the shoulder to shoulder intersection line and keep the chest pointed 90 degrees away from the target at the rip if i choose to. I also can keep the head equally up while i rotate the shoulders. Even with spike hyzer angles or vertical annies. The angle of the arm swing plays no part in it. So maybe increasing neck and shoulder flexibility thus gaining muscle looseness brings options possibly even benefits to power generation by eliminating a source of resistance.

mrlaroo said:
"Agreed. I wish Bubba Watson would drop the clubs and take up discs full time. With some exposure like that, we might be able to get the city to allow ball and disc on the same precious land in my lifetime."

That is funny, drop out of golf and the millions of dollars for disc golf and the hundreds of dollars that come with it. These purses that come with disc golf are sad. My buddy finished 2nd in this last comp here in Orgon in the pro division and all he got was 90$.lol and he payed a 50$ entrance fee. What does PDGA do with al lthe money they bring in cause clearly it is not going to the golfers.
He has made enough of those millions to last him for a lifetime, and has nifty jacket now, too. =)

dwiggmd said:
JHern said:
I've been hearing some chatter about the new distance record, some people are unhappy that this was held at a time when many of the major big arms were booked with something else. GG, AJ, CS, etc., were not present, and perhaps conditions on this day were such that they would have thrown even further.

This was posted...it was over David Jr's week of spring break...He cannot afford to miss a lot of school...This date conflicted with several other events...I did try to publicize the event as widely as possible and especially to known throwers...The timing was not perfect, but it was the best I could do. No one who wanted to participate was turned away.

Agreed. I myself knew about this event long before it was held (I even sent you an e-mail Feb 27 to notify you that the dates listed on your website were initially incorrect).

dwiggmd said:
Regarding this part: " perhaps conditions on this day were such that they would have thrown even further." Well, maybe so. The biggest fish is always the one that got away. But for some frame of reference chack out the top places in the distance competition at the PDGA Pro Worlds last year in Santa Cruz. http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/2011ProWorlds-DistanceResults.pdf

7ontheline said:
...I don't think JHern was taking any shots at anyone...

That's right, thanks for coming to my defense, though I think Wiggins Sr understands that I was only echoing gripes, that they weren't coming from me personally. All of us here at DGR actually predicted that a Blizzard disc would break the world record at the next WFDF event, which at the time was going to be HDDC #3 (I think it was in the Blizzard thread). Wiggins Jr is a world class long thrower, and at his young age has already reached the top of the field, the cream of the crop. I'm happy that he broke the record, not just because it proved me correct, but also because he has worked very hard to get where he is at, and he deserves it!

7ontheline said:
...only dreaming of 900 perhaps...

I think we'll see 900'+ on the right day. And it's great that disc golf manufacturers are again working on making lightweight discs that fly well, which also exerts an upward pressure on the record.

jubuttib said:
mrlaroo said:

He has made enough of those millions to last him for a lifetime, and has nifty jacket now, too. =)

That was his first major win, in todays economy I would not say he has not made enough to retire yet. I have not looked at his overall winnings but that is my guess.

I just looked at 2012 and he has made 3.2 mill in 8 events but most of that was the masters in winnings. What do they say now you need 2.5 mil to retire at 55. Looks like I won't have the option to retire.lol
1 more edit, he has made 15 mill in his career so yup looks like he could retire, lucky dog.

mrlaroo said:
That was his first major win, in todays economy I would not say he has not made enough to retire yet. I have not looked at his overall winnings but that is my guess.

I just looked at 2012 and he has made 3.2 mill in 8 events but most of that was the masters in winnings. What do they say now you need 2.5 mil to retire at 55. Looks like I won't have the option to retire.lol
1 more edit, he has made 15 mill in his career so yup looks like he could retire, lucky dog.
Unlike you I checked my info before I posted. =)

EDIT: Caveat, of course neither of us has any idea how much of that he has already spent, and I'm guessing quite a bit. Though those are only the winnings, I'd be dumbstruck if he didn't have other income sources (commercials etc.)

mrlaroo said:
jubuttib said:
mrlaroo said:
"Agreed. I wish Bubba Watson would drop the clubs and take up discs full time...
...he has made 15 mill in his career so yup looks like he could retire, lucky dog.

He can make a lot more, and in fact he can promote the sport of disc golf more if he stays in ball golf and is successful, than if he retires from ball golf and hangs out at a disc golf course all day. And he can get fabulously rich and create dozens of disc golf courses.

How can we discers better harness his success? It's easy. Bubba has already said that disc golf has completely changed his ball golf game, and surely the way he plays seems to show a lot of influence from throwing disc. He shapes his shots like nobody else at that level. He can bend the ball in the same way that we think about turning discs. This gives him a huge advantage over the field on tough courses containing difficult upshots. He combines this with the particular risk-vs-reward calculus that you can easily obtain in disc golf, but which is more difficult to completely comprehend in ball golf. He might not kill the Pebble Beach links (wide open with tight landing zones and tough wind), but in the woods he is a "fairway surgeon." I don't think that ball golfers in general have appreciated the nuances of disc golf, and how much they can learn from it. Bubba Watson's success provides the means to build that bridge, and get more golf-minded people into disc golf, in general. And that's good.

I know a lot of people say we shouldn't try to model ourselves off of ball golf, and I agree (partly, anyways). I'm not suggesting that we do anything of the sort. I instead suggest that we represent a slightly different type of golf game, but one that different enough and is perhaps more creative and multi-faceted, and that people in ball golf could benefit from becoming familiar with disc golf. And I don't mean selling disc golf as a stupid gimmick to improve your ball golf game, as so much other BS is based upon. What we offer is a window into the more technical short- and mid-range game, and how it is intertwined with the critical mental game. It's a way of thinking and using the characteristics of the physics of flight-shaping to your advantage. And it works.

mrlaroo said:
What is TD? How much is the purse for Worlds?

Tournament Director. Here's a tourney from around here that only had 9 pros play and they got paid out much better than what the guys at Disc Go Ball did:

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/79284

I mean I'm not a fan of the PDGA either but payout and all that junk is ultimately up to the TD. The PDGA just sets guidelines on how many people are supposed to get paid out. The PDGA only gets $50 for the tourney to be certified as a C-tier I think.

Frank Delicious said:
mrlaroo said:
What is TD? How much is the purse for Worlds?

Tournament Director. Here's a tourney from around here that only had 9 pros play and they got paid out much better than what the guys at Disc Go Ball did:

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/79284

I mean I'm not a fan of the PDGA either but payout and all that junk is ultimately up to the TD. The PDGA just sets guidelines on how many people are supposed to get paid out. The PDGA only gets $50 for the tourney to be certified as a C-tier I think.

$50 plus $2 per player. Did the above tournaments have the same entry fee?

Some TDs add payout to pros from am entries. some don't. It depends what you want to support or emphasize.

You fellas are pretty far off topic with the rant about payouts and even attempting to compare two events on opposite sides of the US. From your own FAQ, "Generally, moderators are present to prevent users from going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material." and here is your quote in a thread about "New Distance Record" - "I looked at the pro field. Your friend got fucked by the TD not the PDGA. You should ask the TD where all the money went."

I'm right here fellas; the TD. The same guy that spent the last 12 years working with the local park and rec department to create the course, the largest contributor to the installation effort, the guy that networked in the community to find the sponsors for the event and then thanked them all, led the marketing initiative, designed the course, poured the concrete, roped the ob, organized the registration effort and schedule, custom printed the tee signs and maps, managed the concurrent distance comp + flying disc dog show, MTA contest, Ultimate Frisbee tournament (250+ players), set up and organized tournament central (with free food - bagels, spreads, fruit, organic coffee, fresh squeezed juices), gave everybody a sweet player's pack, organized the party on Saturday night w/ the DJ, funk band & 6 free kegs of beer, also that guy with highest player rating in town that sat out from the comp to ensure that the players and spectators had the best experience possible.

Want to talk payout? :eek:

Way to throw David Wiggins, Jr., proud of you!