• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Distance Record

I feel I should reply with a less flippant answer. I was trying to explain to mylaroo that the TD (you) set's the final payout, not the PDGA so his anger at the PDGA taking all the tourney money was incorrect and he should be angry at you (the TD) for the bad payout.

Frank Delicious said:
so yeah, $90 for second isn't a lot.

Frankly, you are wrong here.

2nd place was a tie and they each took $100 (split $120/ $80). 10 MPO players paid $50 entry fees, $500. They were paid out $485. The entire pro field received player's packs(choice of: Metal Flake CH Destroyers, KC Pro Glow Rocs) + the other benefits of a well run event.

The PDGA gets $2 per player for C-Tiers + $50 sanctioning + $50 insurance + membership fess & $10 pp in non-member fees, I paid them $655, plus had to sign up as a member so I could run the event ($75). You can judge the fees, but also consider the positive impact the $ makes to the sport.

Still off topic.

so payout for second would have been $200 for stand-alone second or is that 2nd and 3rd added together and split up?

I really don't like people using player pack as value since players pack's are always over-valued compared to what the TD pays for them.

And the $10 extra non-member fee isn't factored into payout at all and I don't really know why you brought that up except to inflate the fee you want to say you paid to the PDGA. And if I do some quick math here I see that $50 for the sanction + $50 for insurance + $2 per person at 80 people is only $260 so the bulk of that $655 had to come from the $10 non-member fees (which, again, doesn't matter for payout).

Instead of arguing with me, maybe you should figure out while local players were unhappy with your event payout.

If you would like this off-topic discussion to end, feel free to not contribute to it.

Thanks Frank for your relpy- got a better understanding how it works.

Discventrues- I think you did a great job and has nothing to do with how you ran the tourney, just trying to get a better understanding how these events work. So does the TD make any money from it? Someone made a comment about Bubba watson quitting golf for disc golf and the topic came up. I will add I don't think you should say they got free beer though when it was $10 to get into the party. You can say it covers the band but either way it is not free.

I just think it is sad that ALL these events do not have much a payout for the guys that spend so much of their time playing the game. True it is good for the sport but still would 100K tournaments too.

So we are all good then! mrlaroo learned something, discVENTure ran an event that people did not hate, and I got to argue on the internet. Good thread. Good thread.

discVENTures said:
You fellas are pretty far off topic with the rant about payouts and even attempting to compare two events on opposite sides of the US. From your own FAQ, "Generally, moderators are present to prevent users from going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material." and here is your quote in a thread about "New Distance Record" - "I looked at the pro field. Your friend got fucked by the TD not the PDGA. You should ask the TD where all the money went."

I'm right here fellas; the TD. The same guy that spent the last 12 years working with the local park and rec department to create the course, the largest contributor to the installation effort, the guy that networked in the community to find the sponsors for the event and then thanked them all, led the marketing initiative, designed the course, poured the concrete, roped the ob, organized the registration effort and schedule, custom printed the tee signs and maps, managed the concurrent distance comp + flying disc dog show, MTA contest, Ultimate Frisbee tournament (250+ players), set up and organized tournament central (with free food - bagels, spreads, fruit, organic coffee, fresh squeezed juices), gave everybody a sweet player's pack, organized the party on Saturday night w/ the DJ, funk band & 6 free kegs of beer, also that guy with highest player rating in town that sat out from the comp to ensure that the players and spectators had the best experience possible.

Want to talk payout? :eek:

Way to throw David Wiggins, Jr., proud of you!

In the spirit of keeping things off topic you know that organizing is a thankless job and people reward you by whining so thank you for everything you do to organize events and making them better for everyone.

Latest posts