• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New player looking for bag advice

Emaxxy

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 6 months
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: left-handed
Throwing Style: LFBH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Not very far for anything
* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: M
Other sport proficiencies?: Wrestling
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: How many drivers I have
Specific areas of desired feedback: Any discs I should add or take out.
Immediate and long-term goals: I'd like to be able to throw decently back-handed and start learning how to fore-hand throw. More distance and better putting too. Pretty much just get better at the sport.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
175 DX Leopard (Used)/ I have yet to use my drivers yet this season, once I do, it might be a main driver
156 X Avenger SS (New)/ Up for grabs for main driver role
174 Z Avenger (Used)/ Overstable shots
175 DX Tee-Bird (Used)/ Possible main driver
166 Z Heat (Slightly Used)/ Possible main driver also
175 Pro Valkyrie (used)/ Not sure on this one, someone gave it to me. I've kind of had fun throwing it

Mids:
177 X Buzzz, (new) Probably will be my main Mid, I loved my Pro-D Buzzz I upgraded it once I lost it.
166 Z Comet (used) Just a straight flyer that I like

Putters:
173 D Magnet (used) my only putter that I'm not sure on. It might be because I'm bad at putting though. I have been looking at a Roach some too.

Reserves (I own these, but not in bad)
Champion Mamba
Champion Monarch
Champion Groove

Any help would be appreciated!

Keep the Drivers at home. Add a Roach and a lighter X- Comet. Post a video in the technique section.

I'd say go with the D plastic (that's what I putt with).

Typically it is going to fly straight for both throwing and putting. It's got a typical high grip, rigid rim, softer flight plate.

I asked the mods to edit your title.

Keep throwing those mids until you are really comfortable with using them on longer driver lines and different angles from hyzer to anhyzer. Understanding how discs fly in general will make drivers more useful. Most people dont NEED a bunch of drivers (myself included) but stable molds like the teebird and faster slightly overstable molds like avenger are pretty standard and can fly 450'+ with good technique but also power down to fly the same at 250 or 25p ft really. Thats the best part of a nice stable mold thats not too fast. Keep on throwing the discs you have. Looks fine!

I'll just echo whats been said. Did the stuff thats high speed (over 7 speed for a beginner). The valkyrie is one of my favorite discs from day 1 but right now focus on learning the throw with slower stuff.

My biggest regret in disc golf, is starting with a valkyrie, buzzz, aviar, and thinking that faster speed = more distance. after maybe 5 months of playing disc golf I had 12 discs in my bag, 8 were drivers, and 6 of those 8 were over speed 10+. And I couldnt figure out why my buzzz was flying as far, sometimes farther than my Boss. If could go back to the beginning, I wouldnt buy anything but putters, mids, and maybe a couple fairways.

I asked the mods to edit your title.

Keep throwing those mids until you are really comfortable with using them on longer driver lines and different angles from hyzer to anhyzer. Understanding how discs fly in general will make drivers more useful. Most people dont NEED a bunch of drivers (myself included) but stable molds like the teebird and faster slightly overstable molds like avenger are pretty standard and can fly 450'+ with good technique but also power down to fly the same at 250 or 25p ft really. Thats the best part of a nice stable mold thats not too fast. Keep on throwing the discs you have. Looks fine!

Thanks dude, I appreciate it! Yeah, the last two rounds I played which were both my first two of the season, I just stuck with my comet and buzzz for throwing off the tee.

I'll just echo whats been said. Did the stuff thats high speed (over 7 speed for a beginner). The valkyrie is one of my favorite discs from day 1 but right now focus on learning the throw with slower stuff.

My biggest regret in disc golf, is starting with a valkyrie, buzzz, aviar, and thinking that faster speed = more distance. after maybe 5 months of playing disc golf I had 12 discs in my bag, 8 were drivers, and 6 of those 8 were over speed 10+. And I couldnt figure out why my buzzz was flying as far, sometimes farther than my Boss. If could go back to the beginning, I wouldnt buy anything but putters, mids, and maybe a couple fairways.

I think my highest speed right now is my Avenger which is a speed 10, everything else is slower. I've been throwing mostly my Buzzz and Comet lately,.

I've been playing about 8 mos, I can throw my truth and verdict 250ft as well as my putters, they are more 225ish. Fattest disc I have is a culverin 9 speed, but prefer 7 speeds like rivers and underworlds.

Play a couple months with just your mids and putters, find molds you like and start adding to your bag from there. Cheers!