• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] New player requesting disc recommendations for self and wife

why the ax weight on the Leo and teebird? just curios.

Yeah you could go lighter, just a personal preference thing. I like the consistency of max weight in fairways. In Champ plastic though I like a bit lighter usually just because they are usually quite a bit more beefy and lighter weights can take some stability out.

Yeah, my recommendation (for drivers) would be 165 for him and 160 for her. Mids can be max weight since getting them up to speed is not as worrisome.

Buy a Dynamic Discs Truth and a judge for each of you. If you can get good with those then you can move beyond the truth to a faster disc

Even when I was maxing out at 300-325 I had no problems with a 175 pro leo at all. He said he wanted something for the long run, I think 175 for fwy's is fine.

Key is just to stick with Mids and Putters till you can learn proper technique.

Right, I think that was the only I knew coming into this; I had heard a lot of people say that.

Where's a good place to go to learn how to throw and play properly? Ideally I know I would be learning from someone else, but I don't know anyone else who plays disc golf. Is there an online discussion I can read, tutorial videos or something? A list of pointers?

I apologize for diverging from the point, but while I've got you here I thought I would ask.

Here is what I would recommend on a budget but long term investment.

http://proshop.innovadiscs.com

Buy 12 F2 Factory Second discs and get free shipping (over $75) and 20% off. You can each get 6 discs a piece.

You-

KC Pro Aviar 175g $8 putter
KC Pro Roc 175g $8 mid
DX Stingray 175g $6 mid
Pro Leopard 175g $8 fwy
Echostar Teebird 175g $8 fwy
Champ Firebird 170g $11 headwind/fh/utility

$49

Her-

KC Pro Aviar 165g $8 putter
KC Pro Roc 165g $8 mid
DX Stingray 160g $6 mid
Pro Leopard 165g $8 fwy
Echostar Teebird 165g $8 fwy
Pro Valkyrie 165g $8 distance/headwind

$46

$95 + 20% off = $76 shipped

Start out with just the mids and putter till you both learn how to throw consistently.

Nice.

Factory seconds are a good way to save money if you don't get caught up on cosmetics. BirdieMachine posted a pretty awesome list there. Those would make great starter kits at a good price.

Right, I think that was the only I knew coming into this; I had heard a lot of people say that.

Where's a good place to go to learn how to throw and play properly? Ideally I know I would be learning from someone else, but I don't know anyone else who plays disc golf. Is there an online discussion I can read, tutorial videos or something? A list of pointers?

I apologize for diverging from the point, but while I've got you here I thought I would ask.

There is a crap ton of info on throwing but it's probably pretty overwhelming to start. Is there a local league? I think a good player who's willing to teach a few things to you will be worth more than all the online tutorials (at this point).

Id recommend getting a mid (buzz for example) and a aviar/rhyno. Kc pro aviars are good for driving. Id stay away from any drivers. You just going to want to rip em as hard as possible. Putters amd mids for driving will allow you to work on form amd accuracy.

Here is what I would recommend on a budget but long term investment.

http://proshop.innovadiscs.com

Buy 12 F2 Factory Second discs and get free shipping (over $75) and 20% off. You can each get 6 discs a piece.

You-

KC Pro Aviar 175g $8 putter
KC Pro Roc 175g $8 mid
DX Stingray 175g $6 mid
Pro Leopard 175g $8 fwy
Echostar Teebird 175g $8 fwy
Champ Firebird 170g $11 headwind/fh/utility

$49

Her-

KC Pro Aviar 165g $8 putter
KC Pro Roc 165g $8 mid
DX Stingray 160g $6 mid
Pro Leopard 165g $8 fwy
Echostar Teebird 165g $8 fwy
Pro Valkyrie 165g $8 distance/headwind

$46

$95 + 20% off = $76 shipped

Start out with just the mids and putter till you both learn how to throw consistently.

I just looked up all these discs at your link and found all in stock except for the one I've bolded above, the KC Pro Aviar 175g putter. It says there's 1 left, but when I try to add it to my cart, it says they're out of stock.

What would be a good replacement putter for me from the factory second putters they have available?

Wizard
X Comet
DX Cheetah

(Or any companies starter set, as suggested)

IMO none of those are really that great.

Just get a couple DX Aviars at your local store if you can't get KC Pro's.

Word. No reason to make this overly complicated, just go to your local sporting goods store and buy a cheap putter and fairway driver to start.

Find a cheap and simple starting point and branch out from there if you are enjoying yourselves.

No reason to make this overly complicated.

But this is DGCR!

He really is right though. No reason to over complicate. Just buy a couple cheapos and have fun with the game. Learn your putters and mids first though. Maybe a fairway driver. The biggest thing I recommend is showing up to doubles or tag nights and throwing with more experienced players. Tell them that you are new and that you would appreciate any advice that they can give you. Who knows they might even give you some old plastic of theirs.

Welcome to the addiction.

So I was looking at DiscGolfCenter at the Buzzz and there are a lot of options:

• D-Line
• X-Line
• Z-Line
• Big Z Line (Pearly)
• ESP
• ESP FLX
• Titanium
• SuperCOLOR Z-Line
• SuperCOLOR ESP
• X-Line Fly-Dyed
• Z-Line Fly-Dyed
• ESP Fly-Dyed
• Z-Line Glo

I don't even know what I'm looking at. Which do I get?

Okay, sorry, I spoke too soon. I guess D-, X-, and Z- are plastic grades then. And the rest I can be content not knowing about.

Okay, sorry, I spoke too soon. I guess D-, X-, and Z- are plastic grades then. And the rest I can be content not knowing about.
ESP is one of Discrafts plastic blends too. Its one of their best IMO, comparable to Innova's Star plastic.

For a Buzzz... you can't really go wrong with a Z though. It will last forever as long as you don't send it into a pond/river/lake.

Okay, just put in a combination order from two places for the discs mentioned in the factory seconds list and a couple Buzzzs.

The Buzzzs were from DiscGolfCenter, which I just discovered is the other half of CoolStuffInc, whence I've bought a number of (German-style, designer, etc.) board games over the years. (For any of you who are board gamers, I'm HuginnGreiling at BGG.)

Happy juxtaposition!

My thanks to everyone for the help! I'll see what I can do about getting connected with local players to learn the ropes.

I'm very excited! I just found out a second course is opening in Champaign in July, at Dodds Park. I don't travel much or like to travel at all, so this is great for me.

I guess I just discovered part of the reason for this site. I was looking for reviews of the courses near me and of course the first thing that came up was this site.

Sounds as if Lohmann Park and Brent Johnson Park are pretty cruddy courses. And I want my wife to have a good time, especially on her first times.

So I guess we'll be driving. There's some well-reviewed courses near us, all within 60 miles.

35 miles, together
P.J. Irvin
Maxwell Park

45 miles
Nelson Park

55 miles
Lake Eureka

60 miles, together
Northwood Park
Megiddo

I guess I didn't consider how sparse things would be in central Illinois. Kind of how I'll probably never be able to take up paragliding as long as we live here, what with the no hills thing and all.

Latest posts