• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] New player requesting disc recommendations for self and wife

I guess I just discovered part of the reason for this site. I was looking for reviews of the courses near me and of course the first thing that came up was this site.

Sounds as if Lohmann Park and Brent Johnson Park are pretty cruddy courses. And I want my wife to have a good time, especially on her first times.

So I guess we'll be driving. There's some well-reviewed courses near us, all within 60 miles.

35 miles, together
P.J. Irvin
Maxwell Park

45 miles
Nelson Park

55 miles
Lake Eureka

60 miles, together
Northwood Park
Megiddo

I guess I didn't consider how sparse things would be in central Illinois. Kind of how I'll probably never be able to take up paragliding as long as we live here, what with the no hills thing and all.

Just be aware, sometimes courses get bad reviews because they're "easy". You actually probably want to start on what many people refer to as a "pitch and putt" course. More advanced players don't like those courses because many players are skilled enough to drive about 300 feet with good accuracy, making short, open courses like that an easy way to rack up a bunch of birdies.

For a brand new player, though, you probably want to steer away from any course that has the word "technical" or "finesse" in the review. That means a lot of trees, water, and turns to the left and right, requiring lots of more difficult types of shots. It might actually set you back and tarnish your experience at this point.

I'd stick to a single type of shot (whether backhand or forehand is more comfortable for you) and just work on that.

Really at this point, just throwing in an open field (maybe a soccer field) can be just as fun as you learn to throw. Golf discs are quite different than regular Frisbees, so it takes some getting used to.

Good luck, though! It's a lot of fun.

Just be aware, sometimes courses get bad reviews because they're "easy". You actually probably want to start on what many people refer to as a "pitch and putt" course. More advanced players don't like those courses because many players are skilled enough to drive about 300 feet with good accuracy, making short, open courses like that an easy way to rack up a bunch of birdies.

For a brand new player, though, you probably want to steer away from any course that has the word "technical" or "finesse" in the review. That means a lot of trees, water, and turns to the left and right, requiring lots of more difficult types of shots. It might actually set you back and tarnish your experience at this point.

I'd stick to a single type of shot (whether backhand or forehand is more comfortable for you) and just work on that.

Really at this point, just throwing in an open field (maybe a soccer field) can be just as fun as you learn to throw. Golf discs are quite different than regular Frisbees, so it takes some getting used to.

Good luck, though! It's a lot of fun.
Thank you! Then I guess first we'll try out the two local courses and practice in the local soccer field (across from my house), because you've essentially described the reviews of the two local courses. Very flat, no turns, holes too easy to two-shot. So good for us right now, then.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

I cut my teeth at Lohmann. Absolutely perfect beginner's course.

When starting out, stick with baseline plastic (Innova DX, Discraft D, etc). Particularly for drivers.

Honestly I think the people suggesting premium plastic for someone just starting out are just dead wrong, premium drivers tend to be substantially more overstable than base plastic. So with premium plastic you're going to pay more for a disc, and not be able to throw it as straight or as far. You're going to be more likely to develop poor technique as you try to torque over discs or release them at an anhyzer angle to get them to fly straight, because you don't yet have the armspeed to get them to fly straight on a level release.

Yeah, premium plastic will last longer, but chances are that as you improve you will want to try other discs anyway and you might lose some discs. Plus, when base plastic discs get beat up, they start to fly straighter and eventually turn right which is an important shot to have available as you improve. It's great to have a beat disc and a new disc in the same mold, since they're good for different shots, but premium plastic will take forever to experience that.

The best beginner driver I've seen is the Latitude64 Diamond. It's fine in premium plastic since that's what it's designed to be easy to use in. It's basically similar to a DX Leopard (the easiest to throw Innova driver) only it flies a bit further.

For drivers I'd recommend a DX Teebird for you, maybe 170g or a bit lighter. Also a DX Leopard, same weight, for a more understable compliment.

For your wife, maybe a Latitude64 Diamond, around 150g or so.

Can't go wrong with a D Buzzz but there are lots of good mids out there.

Putter is more personal preference.

Latest posts