• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

new recreation discer set help

south.texas.dead.i

Bogey Member
im new to the sport been playing once or twice a week the last month using friends disc, i have a birdie putter. what are a couple good discs for beginners? or a couple good ways to figure out what discs will work for me? i need to work on my form a bit but am starting to get the hang out it. shooting 3ish over par right now. tHANKS

I am new too, so keep that in mind, but I tend to get obsessed with new sports and have read and watched a lot of videos on selection. Here goes:

I really liked the Discraft videos on youtube. Especially those with Scott Papa. Great presentation and easy to understand when you don't know anything about high speed turn or low speed fade. There are other vids on youtube on selection that are great too. One by a member here that I thought was outstanding.

Having thrown a lot of discs from Discraft and Innova between my own and my friends', I'd recommend:

Drivers:
Avenger SS
Sidewinder
Cyclone(May now be considered a fairway driver)

Fairway drivers:
Leopard
Stratus
Cheetah

Mid range:

Buzzz
Cobra
Lots of people love the Roc(May even be a religion)

Putters:

No idea.

Hello fellow south Texas golfer! Given you are in Texas, you probably have an Academy, so I'll talk about what's available there. I recommend a Discraft Z Buzzz. The disc will do exactly what you tell it to(it will not correct bad throws as much like other discs, offering better feedback) and will last for a long long time. And as you learn to throw a lot better the Buzzz still be very useful.

Valkyrie leopard buzz and a putter if some sort.

All these discs you can use till you die! They will grow with you...

But just to brace you. You will get 2000 different answers on here. Lol. Welcome to the sport!

Haha that's part of the fun, if everyone said to the the same three discs then there'd only be three discs in existence and I wouldn't be asking for advice!

One of my first discs was a DX Shark. I think it's a real nice disc for a beginner and now that I've had mine forever, it's a nice turnover mid for me. The other mid a would suggest is a Star Mako, super straight mid when thrown flat. However, the current popular consensus will probably say Buzzz, Roc or Comet for mid.

A lot of people might suggest a Leopard for first driver. I just picked up my first Leo and its ok, but I would suggest a lighter weight Cheetah (not quite so flippy IMO) or a Glide. I just gave a friend that just started playing a Glide and he's so much happier that he can now actually throw a disk straight. He was struggling with a Wraith he bought 'cause it looked cool... BTW black drivers = bad idea!

I actually have a Birdie that I toy with, and my brother uses one and hits a lot of long putts with it, but it will not be your friend in any kind of wind at all. I would suggest a Pure if you like really straight putters or a Mercy or Challenger if you like a little more fade.

I'm working with Justin @ CommunityDiscs on putting together a "beginner's pack" of three, four, or five discs (or maybe a 3- and a 5-disc set) and my list will look something like this in the end:

- Saint, Valkyrie, (5)
- Cyclone, Teebird, River (5)
- Leopard (3, 5)
- Buzz (3, 5)
- Aviar (3, 5)

(Plus a mini marker and perhaps a little bag or something to get people started.)

Welcome. Given that you are new and need to learn to throw well i recommend starting with only putters and mids for a few weeks. Roc or a Buzzz depending on which feels better in the hand or the longer Coyote which has a lower power requirement than those two is what i'd recommend. Leopard is the easiest driver to throw so Champion or Star plastic for Texas rocks and wind considerations.

if you are looking to do this more i would recommend a disc line up to get started with. I am going to name all discraft because sound like that is easy for you to get.
1 driver: a discraft xl would work great here
2 turn over disc: stratus
3 over stable wind disc: a hornet
4 stable mid a buzz
5 approach disc rattler
6 putter magnet.

What is a turn over disc, and I heard you mention a good wind disc. There's normally a good breeze here, what makes a wind disc a wind disc?

Turn over discs are understable. They "turn over" during flight due to this. I think people mean that you can start the disc off with a hyzer, but instead of staying that way, it flattens and then moves right before finish. I do this with the Stratus, leopard and Asassin SS. Or, I could be wrong.

A good into the wind disc will be overstable for your speed. Look at Innova's charts and pick something with ending with say, -1 3 or similar. I use a Discraft Tracker for a long mid/short driver and used to use a Wraith as a long driver. Currently, an Archon is working for me, but I'm new and weak off the tee.

a turn over disc is one that you can throw flat and it will turn against the spin of the disc. If thrown RHBH the disc will turn right. These are good disc to throw when the wind is coming from behind you. for throwning in to the wind you want a disc that is over stable or has a lack of turn because the wind will emphasize the turn.

Yes and the more headwind you have the harder the disc will flip clockwise for a right handed back hand throw. I tried to look for how far you throw but failed. Some overstable discs are too overstable for anything else than hard left hooks even in storm headwinds. A good wind disc should fly consistently and preferably without flipping in each wind direction. A disc that does that in most cases for most throwers power is Discmania PD. They vary a lot depending on the plastic with more durable S-Line amd C-Line being more overstable thus better headwind handlers. A disc that can handle headwinds has an easier time dealing with side winds. Some discs are fine in every wind direction but front some turnover discs are good only in rear winds or calm weather. For a storm headwind beating mid Champion Gator or ESP Zone should work for most for a very long time in their power generation progression. For new players Rhyno is a good wind beating putter and as the winds start to howl or you gain power Pig takes over very well.