• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the board?

Hi, everyone. I've been reading this board for a few months now and finally decided to join and post. I started playing disc golf, thanks to my brother-in-law, in April of this year. I literally had only thrown a disc a handful of time my entire life of 37 years so I was starting from scratch. I played tennis growing up so that background has served me fairly well. I truly fell in love with disc golf and have been playing once a week since I started. Also I'm fortunate to have an elementary school behind my house that has some fields to throw. I try to go there at least once a week as well to practice, practice, practice. The course I play at and the only course in my area is a short course that is tight and heavily wooded. My best round so far is a +3 which included 5 birdies (2s) but I averaged around +6 for a round the past month . I've bought several discs that I like to throw but my go to disc is the buzzz. It just goes wherever I want it to. Since I started throwing it, I have literally shaved 5 throws off my rounds. I carry 3 of them in my bag of different plastics (ESP for slight hyzer shots, Z for dead straight,and X for slight anhyzer shots). Another great disc for me is the Z Predator for forehand shots. As you can guess I max out at only around 325 with my 150g Champ Valkyrie or 150 R-Pro Boss but I only need to throw that far on 6 holes at the course I play. Most of my drives are with my buzzzes or I've started driving with my Medium Ion Putter on a few holes. Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone here for the knowledge that I've gained from this site. This is a great site that has truly improved my game in just a few months.

Not exactly new to the board, just a changed alias. I decided to change from Animix to the alias I use at the course and on several other forums.

Hey Everyone! My name is JR and I've been playing for the past 3 years, but started taking it seriously in the past year. I live in western Wisconsin, but play in and around the twin cities metro area. Oakwood, Lakewood Hills, Acorn, Kaposia, North Valley, Highland park, and Blue Ribbon Pines are the courses I play. I just recently introduced snap in my game and can now snap a teebird an average of 330ft.

Hello,
I'm new here. I live in Hudson, WI on the St. Croix river. I have DG'd for many years but have had a laps in playing. I have a 6 yr old Grandson who is a ninja at throwing a frisbee. I have had a discussion with him about doing some DG'ing and we have set up an area with buckets for he and I to practice on. I tell you the kid can sure whip it out there with good direction.
One of the things I was wondering about is what kind of disc's would be sutible for a kid his age?
What weight of disc?
Also what would be a good weight for me beginning all over again?
Can some one tell me why their are different weights to the disc's?
I hope that I can get some quality information and also be able to contribute here.
Thanks,
Bill aka Turbine712

Hey guys,
Im Chris aka krik. The articles and threads here helped me get from 250' to 340' golf D. Cant thank you all enough.

Long time lurker and transplant from DGCR. I've completely changed my game for the better because of this site with Comets, Cyclones, and PD's.

Whats up guys...and the few girls. Hit me up when your in Athens, GA for a round or two.

bhuff said:
Whats up guys...and the few girls. Hit me up when your in Athens, GA for a round or two.
what's up man?

It's probly been like 2 years since a girl has posted here :wink:

Hey all, i'm cody, been on here for a short time and just saw this thread...

Anyway, i started up last fall, but after spending 3x the amount of time looking rather than playing, i pretty much constrained myself to field practice. Now i can usually park a disc within 25 feet sidearm (maxing out around 320 (i considered this good enough as most holes were fairly short at my course)) i started playing again right as the club increased the distance of most holes by 50 feet or so... Now it is back to field practice for back hand, in the last few weeks i have reached a top of ~340' with consistancy to 330. Still trying to work on my D, but overall loving the game. Always open to pointers and advice.
Drivers: 165 S-PD, sidewinders, roadrunners and firebirds
mids: beat up dx roc
putter aviar

Hey all, I am another transfer from DGCR. I've spent a lot of time on this site in the past and finally decided to join up and join the fun. I played casually back in high school, but just got seriously hooked in March. Now I'm playing several times a week and trying to learn as much as possible. Seen some serious improvement so far, but I also still suck with relative frequency. :mrgreen:

Hi all, I'm Steve, I'm a semi-old fart(50) and been playing near 3 months now and look forward to learning so I don't suck so bad....

Not actually that new to the board if you count the time I've been lurking around here.
But guess I had to make a post at some point so this seems like a good spot for that.

I'm a fellow club member of jubuttib and turso. Started disc golf at about the same time as jubuttib last summer but I haven't been quite as determined about practicing as the other two. I do throw 300ft drives somewhat accurately and a good throw with a katana may take me around 400ft but that is not something I'd trust too much in a competition.

Anyway. Big thanks to the people on this board for all the great tips they've been giving about technique and such.