• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the board?

Newbie from Drummondville, Quebec, Canada! Hi everyone after watching the forum for a long time, I decided to register myself and bring you the Disc golf news from up north. Please don't mind my english, because I am french speaking first and can have mishap sometimes writing in English (thanks Google for the help). I'll post a teaser of a disc golf movie we did on 27-29 of december 2012 in almost 20 inches of snow! Disc golf has never seen something like this.

Welcome i look forward to seeing that piece. Even though there are videos of winter events around it is always fun to see new ones because they are the minority.

New to the board (aside from lurking :p ) and new to the game. Just started playing in September and have been hooked ever since. I live in central Iowa so I have access to several nearby courses including Pickard Park, Ewing Park, Big Creek, and Walnut Ridge, just to name a few. Constantly trying to find ways to get better and always looking for more videos to watch! thanks!

Hey everyone brand new player here. I just played my first 9 holes about two hours ago here on the University of Central Florida's 9 hole course. I have been waiting to play since the holidays but have a wife and a daughter so given my 4 hour break between classes I knew it would be the perfect opportunity. I had a lot of fun but lost one of the discs I checked out from our RWC in some Sago's (I also got cut up looking for it) I guess that's one of the joys of playing in Florida is the thick vegetation. Fortunately I did find two other discs while looking for my loaner so I guess I have a couple of my own now :) I had a lot of fun playing and did a lot better than I thought I would. I played Ultimate in a league so I am pretty familiar with a forehand and backhand throws but struggled getting a lot of distance of my drives. I think so far the best part of playing is those medium to close range shots that I "almost" made. Any way if anyone goes to UCF and wants to play or lives in Sanford/Orlando area let me know I would love to get some tips. I live about 10 minutes from the Debary course which is now 18 holes so I am going to check that out soon as well as both the courses at Turkey Lake. Cant wait to get back out there and looking forward to hear from everyone.

Welcome. For videos check out Youtube channels, lcgm8 mfranssila centralcoastdiscgolf murdermike(i think there's a PDGA number in that account name too) hassimus loksupoksu discgolflive discgolfmonthly... There are more those just popped up to my head right away.

More distance for an ultimate guy normally means training the leg work taking x steps and turning the back and heels toward the target when the x step lands. Once that works adding a run up might buy a little more D but will also sacrifice accuracy and consistency. So a lot of field work is needed to minimize the damage from the extra speed. Because accuracy and consistency win in the long term i would first polish the throwing technique using max x steps and not at full speed first. Patience distance will come with practice of a better form. A better form maintained with added speed will add distance once you can maintain the proper from. That can take a long time to learn. For most it might take years. But if you can get good help you don't need to unlearn bad habits expediting your progress tremendously. In early career field practice is king because you can throw many more times in the same time and reps are needed to learn body control.

Some noob questions that do not deserve their own thread:

What does 3x 11x 12x etc mean on Innova discs?

Is it ok to carry a single tasker disc, or should I learn to make that shot with a disc that has at least one other job?

I know I have more, but drawing a blank right now.

PMantle said:
Some noob questions that do not deserve their own thread:

What does 3x 11x 12x etc mean on Innova discs?

Is it ok to carry a single tasker disc, or should I learn to make that shot with a disc that has at least one other job?

I know I have more, but drawing a blank right now.
people use 3x, 11x, etc to differentiate various runs of a specific disc. for example the original yeti putter had 3x on it because at the time jay yeti was the 3x world putting champ. now that he's won his 4th putting championship yeti putters have 4x on the stamp. the 11x and 12x refer to ken climo's world champtionships with the 12x discs starting i think after 2004.

Hey board,

Found you guys about a week ago and have been working diligently on the Incomplete Secret and I've seen fairly awesome small improvements. I've been playing for 4ish months here in Southern AZ and I strung 3 straight birdies together to end my round today.

I'm happily married, work full time at a high school and am also a Math Major at the University of AZ. The majority of my free time is either at the field or one of our two halfway decent courses in Tucson.

Cheers

Hi three birdies in a row is a good result so early in the career especially if it is not a pitch and putt course.

OK, another noob question. I see people say "Driving putters". What type of hole does one use use a putter off the tee? Is it purely a length thing?

Throwing power and having clean enough form and release of the disc from the hand plays a part but the main idea is to get a straighter flight without a lot of skipping for consistent placement and reducing evaluation errors in shot planning because putters are the easiest discs to throw laser straight. With little to no fade. Even at shorter ranges. Sure there are very low fade mids and some fairway drivers and mildly fading speed 10 discs Beast and TD. None of those finish as straight as some putters do especially if you need to throw high. Putters won't bounce off trees as far as faster more gliding discs so there is safety margin in that too. It is much less likely to overthrow a basket with a putter to beyond good make range putting distance.

Power requirement for the putters is high when you need to push beyond say 250' because that corresponds to say 350' with drivers or even a little more with ultralight discs. Even is you don't drive far putters have the advantage of fading later and less than mids.

Hello Guys,

I'm Wayne, a newbie here and interested to know each one of you here. I am also willing to share my ideas and discuss it here. Thanks.

This is a heterogenic and colorful bunch. You might change your mind about getting to know some of us but welcome anyway :)

Howdy fellas,

I'm Dan. I'm a little new, but I've read quite a bit. I've even understood a thing or two. I think.

My noob question:
Blake_T said:
I don't ever get to a 5 or 6 release point but i regularly get to 4-4:30.

Both the hammer and rail don't yield that late of a release, and the rail is usually closer to 3-4.

What would 12 be pointing toward?

Where you are aiming at not accounting for the fade. For a flat shot with the basket in front of the center of the tee 12 o'clock would correspond to the front of the tee and the basket. The clock facings on this site are normally referenced for an observer above the tee looking down at the tee and the front of the tee being at 12 o'clock.

Hello all. First post. I've been playing for 8 years now. i play in the pro old mans division and run a few PDGA's at the beach in NC. looking forward to getting to know the boards here.

BgWvDave said:
Hello all. First post. I've been playing for 8 years now. i play in the pro old mans division and run a few PDGA's at the beach in NC. looking forward to getting to know the boards here.

hi there!!

Hello everyone,

I am a new player, having started about 4 months ago. I am absolutely hooked and love to play when I can.

I am 24 and currently in Law school. I have already hooked several players to DG including my GF who plays with me and is my chaeuffeur to the courses.

I live in Chicago and unfortunately the closest course even worth playing is a 30 min drive out to the suburbs, wish is especially annoying since i dont have a vehicle.

hope to get to know everyone, learn and give what ever knowledge i may have 8)