• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nikko Joins Team MVP

Nikko needs to get back to the hair and the socks...

frisbee-golf.jpg

#GrowTheFro
It would be cool to see some of the Pros wearing "disc golf socks" again.

Nikko was the first pro i watched videos of before i even started playing dg myself. He is different that´s for sure, his hair(back then) the way he dresses and his overall behaviour is not in line with the other pros, thats why he stands out so much.

Picking up Nikko is smart move by the three companies, he brings tons of publicity and can still peform on an elite level.

Maybe he can keep himself together this season, if so, we can expect great things from him!

Lol all you want, his tantrums are pretty well known.

I'll flip it back around on you- it's just throwing golf discs, man. If he can't emotionally handle throwing frisbees, why should he represent a company.

its from MVP direct....... dealer news--I wouldn't make up that and Nikko has thanked MVP multiple times in past social media posts along with legacy and gateway.

@Koda - B/c he has money on the line? Do you see other professional sport players have zero emotion? that would be weird as hell to watch robots. Disc Golf NEEDS character.

its from MVP direct....... dealer news--I wouldn't make up that and Nikko has thanked MVP multiple times in past social media posts along with legacy and gateway.

@Koda - B/c he has money on the line? Do you see other professional sport players have zero emotion? that would be weird as hell to watch robots. Disc Golf NEEDS character.

Cool! I saw his announcements and thanking MVP/Legacy on FB. Just couldn't find the dang source to save my life. Thanks for clarifying!

I'm a St. Louis guy that has been an MVP advocate since I first started playing. I have close ties with Gateway and have golfed a bit/helped with the early days of Fly Life with Nikko. I'm fully aware of his antics, reactions and reputation. I've experienced it first hand and I have been frustrated by it in the past.

That said, this is a HUGE victory for MVP. Despite not being on top of his game in recent seasons, Nikko still is one of the biggest draws in DG. Casual fans know his name and love to watch his YouTube videos. Once people start seeing him throw these discs, it WILL increase sales and exposure. It is simple as that. When Nikko blows up on the course, I don't think many folks were trashing Gateway/Prodigy for sponsoring him. They were just calling into question Nikko's composure. From my time hanging out with Nikko, I learned a few things. One of the biggest is that this guy loves disc golf. He will do his typical things that rub people the wrong way but in the end, I anticipate him really helping MVP by bringing a new level of legitimacy to their brand.

Kudos to MVP. In my opinion, this was a very calculated risk they took and it will pay off exponentially in the end.

i understand being upset since it's probably a significant portion of his income. that makes sense to me. i can understand swearing, small outbursts, whatever. it doesn't even bother me. i swear all the time, it's part of my nature. i can understand many expressions of frustration. what doesn't make sense is being a little *****, erupting, throwing things, fake punching trees, etc. his outbursts, from what i've seen (no, not in person) and heard, are more than just frustration - they're child-like.

it's just like any other job : you don't perform, you don't get paid. he can deal with it. or maybe he can't. :rolleyes: maybe he needs to get a real job so missing putts doesn't hurt quite so much. i don't know. he seems to have a good thing going with fly life, maybe he needs more income from that. he's obviously a disc golfer of the highest order of talent. he just also happens to be a complete spazz. they're not mutually exclusive traits, but being a professional brings with it a certain air of distinction not typically granted to children. i guess we have to ask ourselves if we really want disc golf as a profession, then should the professionals be allowed to act this way without repercussion during a round? maybe we need to put some real rules governing that behavior in place.

anyway, back to my main point. nikko likes mvp and mvp decided to capitalize off of it and give him a kickback, great, grand and wonderful. it's one more person living the dream, which i can appreciate. i'd be more leery if they decided to endorse him completely, but i still think they could have chosen someone who would promote their product in a better light. i'm happy that mvp and nikko will both benefit from the deal.

i dunno, maybe mcfly can catch a glimpse of the disc next time he dumps his bag for some product placement.

Last edited:
^happens in golf all the time and they are suppose to be super professional. Im not trippin over it..considering what you see reading lips along a NBA sideline alone Nikko is aiight.

so what is it?

are we throwing frisbees like you mentioned earlier or are we comparing ourselves to real sports now?

because if we're throwing frisbees for money, he should chill out.

and if we're trying to become a real sport, he should act more professional IMO.

So nobody is going to rip MVP for their flip flop on sponsorship? Used to say that they didn't need not want pro endorsement, now they make a power play for a big time mercenary?

MVP mirrors their fanboys. Or is it the other way? Chicken and the egg...

so what is it?

are we throwing frisbees like you mentioned earlier or are we comparing ourselves to real sports now?

because if we're throwing frisbees for money, he should chill out.

and if we're trying to become a real sport, he should act more professional IMO.

^Ha!

So nobody is going to rip MVP for their flip flop on sponsorship? Used to say that they didn't need not want pro endorsement, now they make a power play for a big time mercenary?

MVP mirrors their fanboys. Or is it the other way? Chicken and the egg...

I wouldn't call it a flip flop. They didn't need pro endorsement early on, but as they grow, that is becoming more of a priority.

It's a shift, but not a flip flop.