• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noob looking for help with bag

red5

I've been playing now for 13 months, but it's been on and off. Spent 4-5 months in there not playing at all. Here's my vitals:

Rhbh with a serviceable fh up to maybe 150 ft.
Throw putters from 150-200, mids 200-240, and drivers for anything longer.
Max distance is 300ish ft, however its typically around 260-275. I believe I have nose up issues to correct.
Avg score on home course is +5. Best is par. Course is buchmiller park in lancaster, pa.

My current bag:

Putting putter - 174g classic warden
Throwing putters - 174g vip harp, 170g prime deputy

O/s mid - 170g westside anvil
Stable mid - 177g fuzion emac truth
U/s mid - 172g vip tursas

O/s fairway - 170 g lucid felon
Neutral fairway - 169g opto explorer
U/s fairways - 170g I blend sphinx and 174g lucid maverick

Other discs I own:
300g prodigy a3
167g electron soft envy
168g neutron envy
174g medium harp
174g gravity hunter
168g dd cobra
171g lucid emac truth
168g prime truth
169g neutron insanity
Champ eagle x
Champ firebird
400g d6
Pinnacle outlaw
160g dx leopard
Opto saint
TP warship
Opto flow

Any changes you'd make to the bag with my current discs? Discs that I dont own? Thanks

How do you think you could improve? What are your weak spots? What do you think are your improvable parts of your bag?

Looks like a good start to me. Not overzealous with distance drivers. I would consider this a core and add or subtract from there. You have enough extra to experiment with different molds.

How do you think you could improve? What are your weak spots? What do you think are your improvable parts of your bag?

My distance is definitely holding me back. I tend to get the most distance with the sphinx and oddly enough my outlaw if I happen to just be throwing discs. My approach game is decent and my putting is not too good, but I just got a basket for my yard to help with that.

As for my bag, I dont have anything that goes dead straight for me for drivers or mids. The explorer is somewhat close since it's a bit beat in now, but not quite what I want. Not sure that exists in a driver with my lack of skills.

Emac truth is fantastic, but always has the reliable fade at the end. I'm not a big fan of the prime truth I have. I really like shallow, flat, beadless mids/putters. For example, I love the feel of my anvil. I was thinking of a mako or fuse or nova in this spot. Not sure they fit that criteria. Suggestions?

I really like shallow, flat, beadless mids/putters. For example, I love the feel of my anvil. I was thinking of a mako or fuse or nova in this spot. Not sure they fit that criteria. Suggestions?

Mako and mako3 definitely fit this bill for a dead straight mid. You might like a Discraft Heat, which throws really straight until you start to overpower it, and if you do, then it becomes a really reliable hyzer flipper for a nice arrow-straight shot.

Looks like a good bag.

For a relatively straight fairway driver in the speed 7 range, you might look at the TL/TL3, FD, Leopard3, or River. For high speed drivers, the speed 11 Krait flies very straight with a dump fade. The Sphinx should be good for between the speed 7 and 11 ranges.

How does the Sphinx, Maverick, and Tursas fly for you, if you want a straight disc? I'd suggest a Meteor or Foxbat if you want a straightish mid, and a Pro Leopard for a straight fairway. Beat up that Prime Truth and you could potentially have a dead straight disc as a result, but it might need to be hyzerflipped, as I don't know how Truths season.

Thanks for the suggestions and replies. I hadn't considered the heat or tl. I'll have to look into those.

The sphinx definitely has some turn to it. The results are decent, but not quite what I'm looking for. The maverick is close also, but for some reason I never reach for it. The tursas is just incredibly u/s and heads right as soon as it leaves my hand. Maybe I need to just work on the art of hyzerflip with what I've got.

You have all your bases covered it looks like. The key is getting out and playing as much as possible. Developing consistency and growing from there.