• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

Tried to dye a disk I lose even in the fairway quite a bit...bought some RIT dye, shaving cream, was all excited, set everything up, took it out about 24 hours later and nothing...read up and found out it was the ND RIT dye that didn't take. Next stop...iDye Poly for me. Not trying to do anything fancy, or even good looking for that matter, just a simple marble to make the near clear Avenger SS more vibrant and easier to spot in the field.

What would you guys do to make an off white color?

Im thinking a brownish yellow for a real short time. Anyone have any experience doing a beige/off white?

I have a few PINK prototype and first run dynamic discs. I think a truth a verdict and a felon. I DO NOT throw PINK discs.

Can I dip dye these another color that will look "good"?i know any color that I dye them they will obviously have to be darker than the current color. Anyone have experience dying pink discs any other color than pink?

Thanks.

Im thinking a brownish yellow for a real short time. Anyone have any experience doing a beige/off white?

Don't everyone answer all at once ;)

So I went with a 50/50 mix of yellow and brown idye/water mixes, and applied at room temp with qtip for a few seconds at a time, for 4-5 applications and it worked perfectly. Exactly the color I was going for.

I have a few PINK prototype and first run dynamic discs. I think a truth a verdict and a felon. I DO NOT throw PINK discs.

Can I dip dye these another color that will look "good"?i know any color that I dye them they will obviously have to be darker than the current color. Anyone have experience dying pink discs any other color than pink?

Thanks.

This question was asked very recently, check back a page or two or look in the other threads in the dye forum, but yes, you can definitely dye pink discs to look great --- red, blue, purple, hell black if you wanted. ORRR, since pink discs are in high demand especially in winter months, you could try to sell or trade them for something more your fancy and not have to dye them.

Don't everyone answer all at once ;)

So I went with a 50/50 mix of yellow and brown idye/water mixes, and applied at room temp with qtip for a few seconds at a time, for 4-5 applications and it worked perfectly. Exactly the color I was going for.

Didn't even give us a full day! I would've answered, so I'm answering now :p

You did exactly what I would have done.

See how easy that was? :p Seriously, that's how I find newer colors, especailly "lighter" colors. Just use what the base of the deepest part of the color is, and dye it for a very short time without heat.

Thanks.

Seems there have a been a good number of "what can you dye on pink" questions lately. Here's an example of idye blue, violet, lilac, crimson, prochem clear orange, and pylam fushcia all on the same pink disc.

Attachments

• pain2.jpg
    pain2.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 41
Seems there have a been a good number of "what can you dye on pink" questions lately. Here's an example of idye blue, violet, lilac, crimson, prochem clear orange, and pylam fushcia all on the same pink disc.

Sweet! Nice dye!

Thanks roggenb3! Great example, should help a lot of people!

And here's another example. This is rit dye. But should still be a good example. pink Opto diamond. Dyed with fuschia (dress), royal blue (earings, jewels), orange (stripe on crown), scarlet (crown jewel, mouth), tangerine (face and arms) and golden yellow (hair, crown).

30a52xy.jpg

I'm kinda surprised how well the yellow on that turned out. Doesn't seem the pink affected it at all. Good to know.

Cam Todd signature series. They are dyemax. It's a series of discs done by dynamic discs. As Chromezero mentioned Cam is an artist and disc golfer.

Noticed these on MSt: http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ST-46968

If these are dyes, they are absolutely amazing!! Almost look like supercolors or something. Anyone know this Cam Todd?

Cameron Todd is an artist and a disc golfer. They appear to be prints of his paintings. I assume those are done with deco-dye or a similar process.

Check him out here...
http://www.camerontoddart.com/?page_id=2

Cam Todd signature series. They are dyemax. It's a series of discs done by dynamic discs. As Chromezero mentioned Cam is an artist and disc golfer.

Cam Todd on PDGA

http://www.camerontoddart.com/

Cam won Worlds in 2001 and has over $100k in career earnings. Great guy, excellent disc golfer, and very talented artist. I bought two large prints on wood frames directly from him and he signed the backs as well.

He's in a lot of the North Carolina videos, one of my favorites is this by Marty McFlySoHigh:

Keep it in the dye for 10 to 15 minutes, take it out and stir the dye to remove any air bubbles, and then put it back in for another 10 minutes.

So I just noticed an effect I had never seen before. I have a GL Trident with one of those super sparkly stamps (idk what they're called...stamp is made of a bunch of tiny sparkly squares, if u no what I mean). Anyways, these stamps are tougher to get off than a normal stamp. It came off fine but took some elbow grease. Then I put a stencil on it and did a dip dye, but the area where I used acetone is visible lighter than towards the edge of the disc.

Its not super bad, but you can definitely tell...just wondering if anyone else has ever seen this.

Maybe more time will mitigate the issue, I am leaving it in the dye tonight and will see if its still an issue in the morning.

I am leaving it in the dye tonight and will see if its still an issue in the morning.

Yup, still an issue unfortunately. I don't get it....

Took it out of the dip and put a layer of detergent mix on to see if somehow the detergent does what the dip couldn't. :gross: