• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Here Requesting Bag Critique

discmeettree

Par Member
Hey everybody...................:)

I'm a noobie who has only played a few rounds so far. I've gotten past that initial phase of chucking the driver and have it climb out with a hard hyzer bank and then spike straight back down to terrafirma with a loud thud. (that round was FUUUUNNNNN!!!) :doh:

Now I'm getting the drives to level out a bit before taking their left drift. (using an Avenger 1.9 Elite Z) I've even had a couple of those "magical" drives where the disc just kept going and going and going much further than I was expecting. Consistency isn't there yet on that though, not even close unfortunately. Tried throwing the Champion Sidewinder quite a few times and for some reason, this thing hyzers out on me harder than the Avenger and based on what I've been reading, this shouldn't be the case. Get nice flat slowish drives with a Eagle K.C. Pro, this disc flies sort of boring in a way that it is so predictable.

Approach shots are inconsistent at best, been using a pretty beat Stingray that I can't get to fly flat, it just banks hard right on me. This spurred me to purchase a Roc R-Pro today which is still brand new right now. I've been confused trying to read about this disc as it seems some of them have a different lip inside than others.....I bought this because a guy I met on the course and played a round with was doing some pretty impressive stuff with his Roc and recommended it.

Putts are pretty bad so far, been using a Birdie thus far. My poor success with the Birdie spurred me to buy a Dart in R-Pro today to try a putter with a thinner lip. The Birdie is a fatty for sure.

So here is what I have in my bag so far:

Avenger 1.8 Elite Z Maximum Distance Driver
Champion Sidewinder Distance Driver
Eagle K.C. Pro Ultra Long Straight Driver

Stingray with lots of chunks out of edges from hitting rocks (think it's DX, it doesn't say)
Roc R-Pro brand new

Birdie with Thumtrac
Dart R-Pro brand new

I bought the R-Pro plastics because I saw "pro" and figured that meant "better". :confused: I realize after reading that some people have mixed feelings about the R-Pro plastic.

Is there anything I should fill in with? I understand practice is going to make the shots come, and not the equipment. But I want to at least start with a decent setup, and plus, these discs are pretty damned cool! :thmbup:

welcome to DGCR! There is actually a separate forum called bag suggestions and feedback. If you follow the template design at the top of the forum and make your post, I am sure we can help you with your bag :)

Since I'm here, I will say that I do like the R-Pro plastic... for one particular disc. I don't go anywhere without my R-Pro Rhyno. It's all beat up and flies NOTHING like a Rhyno should... which is why it is the awesome. The "R" in R-Pro just stands for "Rubber" if I am not mistaken - it's a more flexible and rubbery version of the Pro plastic, which is a step up from DX.

As for adding or subtracting from the bag, I would throw the midranges and the putters almost exclusively until you figure out how to throw them properly and consistently. I throw very few discs faster than a Teebird (speed 7) during any given round, and I fare pretty well. The Dart is a pretty solid disc (I used to throw one until I found things I liked better), and while I have never thrown a Stingray (my first mid was a Shark), the Roc is the go-to disc for a lot of people. To get that form right, check the forums on technique, post a video of yourself throwing if you can and listen to the pointers, and practice, practice, practice.

Good luck, and welcome. :)

Last edited:
ken nailed it. until you can push your midranges out to 200-250 feet you will see no real golf benefit from your drivers, especially the avenger. work a lot with that dart trying to get it to go out dead straight as far as you can, and you'll start to see the benefits with your form.

I am posting a thread in the proper forum. Thanks for the feedback in here so far..........

So no on the drivers yet? Drive with the Dart? The Dart is a putter though, short circuiting on that, please explain. : )

Damn, I was thinking about buying a Nuke soon because I see how the pros can huck them a country mile! :D

Last edited:
so hypothetically, I can throw my midranges 175. And, I can throw my avenger 350. I guess there is no golf value to throwing my avenger.

I am posting a thread in the proper forum. Thanks for the feedback in here so far..........

So no on the drivers yet? Drive with the Dart? The Dart is a putter though, short circuiting on that, please explain. : )

Damn, I was thinking about buying a Nuke soon because I see how the pros can huck them a country mile! :D

fight the urge for faster plastic! it will only hurt you. I say this from experience. learn to drive your putter consistently on a frozen rope and you soon will be able to throw it farther than your drivers. then move up to mids and repeat. grabbing for drivers is mostly ego based and only hurts progress and scores. learn it right first and you won't be going back to relearn and back bad habits like most of us have had to do. best advice I ever got was thru only my putter and roc for all rounds. I did this until I could get my putter to 250 and roc to 300 consistently.

Last edited:
I can throw some drivers 350 and only midranges to about 175-200... But that's because I've been a chronic forehander all my game and and just now learning how to backhand with my mids. = P So all in all, this is an incredibly irrelivant post. ^_^

Mids and putters, mids and putters, mids and putters. I had the same issue as you, asked for advice on here and also asked the guys that are much better than me in my area for help also. Now that I disc'd down I hit my lines on a much better basis. It won't be easy to ditch the glitzy high speed stuff at first but when you start throwing a mako further than a destroyer and hitting your lines, you'll go these peeps on here aren't that crazy after all :)

I can throw some drivers 350 and only midranges to about 175-200... But that's because I've been a chronic forehander all my game and and just now learning how to backhand with my mids. = P So all in all, this is an incredibly irrelivant post. ^_^

Finally, somebody who gets it. Its just the "no real golf value" comment that ruffled my feathers.

Im not trying to deny the claim that learning to throw slower discs farther yields faster improvement.

I dont throw just to get better at it. I throw because its fun. That said, you will never hear me complain that im not very good.

The OP probably should take your advice.

O.K. so basically trying to throw a fast driver is like a noobie archer trying to start with a 50 plus pound bare recurve as their first bow.

Get the form down with the stable flat flying slow stuff and then start hucking the big dogs a country mile..................

In the meantime, is there anything I am missing in the bag for when the technique does develop more?

Stingray/Roc & Dart should do it! Get those out to 300' on any line and you will be ready to move up' Maybe something slower/OS for wind but you can throw a distance driver then too...

I started my disc golf career with a driver, and it was a big mistake and set me back a little bit with form. I took the advice of the DGCR community and started throwing my putters and mids. That was the best thing i could have done for my game, I only started throwing a fairway driver after i could throw my putters 300 feet and mids out to about 350-380. I have been playing more than casually for almost two years now and still have not bagged a high speed/ Max D driver. Throwing far is fun and awesome to see, but trust me, you will never get there without proper form and taking the time to learn your putters and mids.

Putter is a label, its still a disc. It is great for driving too.