• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Price difference significant? I know the craze has died down a bit, but how much do brand new buzzz tooled and wasp tooled bar stamped buzzzes go for these days?

The prices are different because the buzzzes are molded slightly differently. The "wasp" tooled ones have a lower shoulder, and therefore are usually flatter, sometimes even concave.

aite so just created this act, been throwin since 2008 when i went to Western IL, liked it really fun and what not. i kno how to throw a frisbee and all the concepts but i could never get a solid throw using the back hand which it seems to be the most common throw type, so i went with an all muscle approach of mostly tomahawks and sidearms, i could get a side arm one a reli good throw a solid 300' and the toma roughly 200 and my toma's were fairly accurate and was my main throw, i got used to using a putter and could usally make a ten footer consitantly. i had no preferance on what disk i used or how i threw it, but now im at home which is is the South Side of Chicago for one, limited on courses unless i wanna drive an excess of 45 min which isnt bad to me but hard to drag friends along with. so to tie all this up any one know of any courses ive done Summit a couple of times and a course meadows in Lombard a couple but other then that or anyone who plays those courses have anything to say, and also some good disk for Tomahawk or Sidearm i just got a Champion Monarch and a Beast and havent gotten a putter yet but any ones to check out or anyone who has some suggestions on how to throw those ways better, but if for some reason this post upsets u cause i didnt read all 245 pgs to see if my question got asked or answer then just reply to some other ****, like i enjoy playing and am tryin to get better, so any help much appreciated

There is a course section where you can ask where to play. You can check the equipment section for disc selection. You can list your bag in the bag suggestion section & get people to give opinions & suggestions.

I would also suggest you use more than one paragraph!!:thmbup:

English helps too. Seriously, when you're starting out, just grab any putter...cheapest you can find is probably the best. I'd suggest something stable for forehand shots, but I'm not a forehand shooter so I'm sure others know better. I'd suggest a TRex, Force, or Boss. Get a mid range disc too. Doesn't matter what...just something w/ a speed of 4 or 5.

Well, since the thread got bumped back up I might as well ask my question too. When someone says "Random Draw Doubles," does that mean that random doubles teams play each other, or that random people are matched together to make the doubles teams?

Well, since the thread got bumped back up I might as well ask my question too. When someone says "Random Draw Doubles," does that mean that random doubles teams play each other, or that random people are matched together to make the doubles teams?

Random draw doubles means random people are matched up together as teams everywhere I have played.

We have random draw doubles. Players are divided into A & B pool according to skill. A players are randomly paired with a B player. That's pretty much it

Random draw can also be that all players in A are paired randomly, and compete separately from all the players in B. That's how it's done out here.

Yup. It's cool if you can have pro/am teams, but you have to have the same number in each group for it to work out.

I have a rules question that I remember. I was playing in an NT (or technically an A-tier, I guess) in the Rec division, and I was on the party card. It was the bottom two of Rec and bottom two of Nov. The hole was extremely open with only one tree dead center fairway. I was shooting probably the worst tourney round of my life, so my drive was caught by a low branch about 25' in the air and stuck.

The disc was in plain sight and there was no way I was leaving it there. I tried to take a minute throwing my water bottle at it attempting to get the disc down. About thirty seconds in, one of the Nov. players complained that I was taking all day. So the closest call of this I could think of was a lost disc call. I told the guy he could complain to the TD, but I'm taking 3 minutes to try to get it down. Now I'm thinking I had 60secs to throw once I got to my lie, what do you think the call is here?

PS, I ended up getting the disc down after about 2 minutes.

Yup. It's cool if you can have pro/am teams, but you have to have the same number in each group for it to work out.

The league I play in has 3 pools (call them A, B and C for simplicity's sake). Most nights it comes out pretty even with each C pool player paired up with an A or B pool player. Teams of C and A play scratch, teams of C and B get a stroke. Usually if there's an imbalance it's because more lower pool players show up, so the top C pool players get bumped up. Teams of two C pool players get 2 strokes. Cali always comes from the upper pool, if it's an A player it's scratch, B player gets one stroke and if a C player is bumped up and pulls cali they get two strokes.

The league I play in has 3 pools (call them A, B and C for simplicity's sake). Most nights it comes out pretty even with each C pool player paired up with an A or B pool player. Teams of C and A play scratch, teams of C and B get a stroke. Usually if there's an imbalance it's because more lower pool players show up, so the top C pool players get bumped up. Teams of two C pool players get 2 strokes. Cali always comes from the upper pool, if it's an A player it's scratch, B player gets one stroke and if a C player is bumped up and pulls cali they get two strokes.

Sounds pretty complicated.

Not at all, the explanation took longer to type out than it takes to get things sorted out each week.

I'm considering selling some discs on the dgcr marketplace, but before I go posting all kinds of stuff on there and pissing people off I wanted to see if there is any particular protocol for how I should do it. Do I just list a price and wait for someone to PM me? Do most people just pay through Paypal? Do buyers usually pay first and then the seller ships the disc or vice versa? Don't want to break any unwritten rules or codes of conduct.

I'm considering selling some discs on the dgcr marketplace, but before I go posting all kinds of stuff on there and pissing people off I wanted to see if there is any particular protocol for how I should do it. Do I just list a price and wait for someone to PM me? Do most people just pay through Paypal? Do buyers usually pay first and then the seller ships the disc or vice versa? Don't want to break any unwritten rules or codes of conduct.

Yeah, just list what you havex get a pic or two of each disc, set a price and wait. Usually someone with no itrader feedback will be asked to ship/pay first, but is not a requirement.

Here's a newbie question.

Why would I pay $10 to play "league" doubles? I mean, I get that it's a good way to meet people and hang out. I get that it's good to watch other players play, to learn from better players, to play from the lie of a better player, etc. Maybe I'll do it every once in a while for those reasons.

But, why pay $10? Why can't it be a free event?

Even if it's some kind of random draw, or even a seeded pairing, what's my best outcome as a new player? I get paired with someone who can win on their own, and I'm in the cash, while not using any of my own shots? Why should I pay $10 into a betting pot that I'm almost guaranteed to be the least likely to win?

Because people like to play for stakes, I'm just expected to subsidize the game if I want to hang out with the cool kids?