• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

It's not a hijack, these questions are what this thread is for :thmbup:

I'll look through your bag for ya now.

What is the best hyzer disc for wind situations - for a newer player like myself

I can't throw a firebird. I mean, i can throw it. 100 feet directly to my left. I throw a gazelle.. wind makes it it's bitch.

monster maybe?

What is the best hyzer disc for wind situations - for a newer player like myself

I can't throw a firebird. I mean, i can throw it. 100 feet directly to my left. I throw a gazelle.. wind makes it it's bitch.

monster maybe?

Absolutely no to the monster. Teebird is okay, I prefer Eagle-X. Banshee if it must fade hard. Might try a DX Banshee first.

i max out at about 280-300 ft with a dx gazelle

dx banshee sounds good. to the marketplace!

EDIT: DX BANSHEE – 169 – ink on plate – 7/10 - $5

will this work?

well i def. don't want it to flip. im going to be using it on large field shots with a pond on the right, in the wind.

if that banshee dosent work i would try a 167-170 teebird. if you are to buy a teebird, try and find a flat champ one. those tend to fly better in my opinion.

Go with Bro D suggestion of a champ eagle x! At your power level it will do well in the wind.

so, the 12x KC pro roc, how is it? i throw buzzzes right now but am curious about these. i have this weird urge to try one because i like how they feel in the hand. im not trying to replace my buzzz, just want to try something new.

What plastic is the KC Pro discs (newer ones)? I got a new KC Pro Aviar by suggestions on the forum and love it, but it feels different than a champion.

What discs come in the KC pro models?

I also just picked up a teebird and sidewinder in DX. I like the discs, but after a couple days I already have huge gouges in them (gravel road + fence). Does this mess up the disc's flight much? (my next purchases will definitely be champs and stars).

About what distance should I be able to throw a Z buzzz/teebird/sidewinder before discing up? The chart on the innova site shows the teebird's suggested range is 300, but that seems short to me.

Pro plastic is different from champion plastic. Champion and star plastic are much more durable. DX plastic will "break in" much faster by virtue of those nicks and gouges you noticed, plus warping from impact with obstacles. As discs break in, they become less stable, meaning that they usually lose fade at first, and then lose high speed turn resistance, so they turn more in the early part of the flight and fade back less. Eventually, they will start flipping over so much that you call them "flippy," and you might use them for hyzer flip discs that turn up flat, then later as hyzer flip discs that turn over and finish right (for a right hand back hand thrower), then as a roller. Pro plastic is much more durable than dx, but not as durable as champion and star.

Typically, people seem to like to get putters, mids, and fairway drivers in dx or pro plastic (AKA base plastic), and longer range drivers, like your sidewinder, in champion or star plastic (premium plastic). The slower molds were originally designed to be molded in the base plastics, and people are used to them being broken in. And they don't break in quite so quickly becasue they aren't thrown as far or hard, and are easier to control so impacts are less common. I like to get really stable molds, like rhinos, teebirds, firebirds, and FLs, in premium plastic so they don't lose stability, but get less stable molds, like aviars and leopards, in base plastic so they will quicly lose fade and become straight and then flippy. I carry several of those discs in different stages of beatness for different lines, but count on my more stable discs to keep their fade as long as possible. Other people ill get lots of stable discs, like rocs, bansgess, firebirds, etc. in base plastic and carry many of them in different stages of beatness. Even the most stable disc will eventually beat into a roller. But if you only throw firebirds and you lose your flippy one, it could be awhile before the rotation provides you beat one in to fill that slot.

As far as how far you should throw fairway drivers like a leopard before moving up, it depends. 350 is thrown around a lot, but I can't get mine there after a year of discing down, and a lot of older people are in the same boat. Just stick with it for a while and see what works for you.

Last edited:
i asked this in another thread but didn't get much of an answer, whats the difference between the KC pro and JK pro aviar? both have the same flight rating by innova

What's the difference between buzzz tooled and wasp tooled bar stamp buzzzes? Can someone shed light on this?

Buzzz tooled are your everyday buzzz. Regular ones that you have ow will are "buzzz" tooled. Buzzz is tooled on the inside of the rim.

Wasp tooled buzzz's will have wasp tooled on the inside of the rim. 1st run and 2nd first run will always be wasp tooled.

i asked this in another thread but didn't get much of an answer, whats the difference between the KC pro and JK pro aviar? both have the same flight rating by innova

same mold, different plastic. kc's will be more consistent across different weather conditions because of the stiffness. jk's can get very soft in warm weather and fly differently on throws because of some wobble coming from the plastic getting floppy. i've also found that stiffer putters are more high speed/low speed stable than the same mold in a softer plastic of the same type.

Buzzz tooled are your everyday buzzz. Regular ones that you have ow will are "buzzz" tooled. Buzzz is tooled on the inside of the rim.

Wasp tooled buzzz's will have wasp tooled on the inside of the rim. 1st run and 2nd first run will always be wasp tooled.

Price difference significant? I know the craze has died down a bit, but how much do brand new buzzz tooled and wasp tooled bar stamped buzzzes go for these days?