• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

was going to start a thread for this question but it seems more fitting to post it in this one....

What normally all comes in the player packs at tournaments?

Standard seems to be one disc, a few minis, a tshirt, and some stickers... Generally, the more $$ you pay to enter, the better $h¡t your gonna get in the players pack

Standard seems to be one disc, a few minis, a tshirt, and some stickers... Generally, the more $$ you pay to enter, the better $h¡t your gonna get in the players pack

Okay thanks! I am entering May Madness in the rec division ( this is my first tournament ) and I was wanting to know if the entree fee would be worth it even if I sucked lol

I wouldn't yet, unless you have the current need for something overstable to handle breezy days, in which case you might pick up a Teebird. In all honesty, the distances you are throwing are pretty short for those discs, so you can just stay with what you have while you improve. Most people can drive a putter 180-200 at a minimum, often a lot farther. A Leopard (which is a fantastic disc to be using, btw) can go 250' easy minimum with a halfway decent throw, and pushing it past 300' is well within its range. By going to a faster driver, you won't gain anything at all in distance, and most of them will just behave overstable until you can get some power into them. I'd almost bet money that if you move the other direction and get some good glidey mids, you'll see more distance. Something like a Core, Aurora MS, Skeeter, etc...great discs, various lines, and good teachers.

I actually just realized today that I had been "strong arming" all of my drives. By using a much slower x-step, a longer reach back, and a better twisting motion.... I actually threw the Leopard a personal flatland best of 240 (80 paces) :clap:. Granted I wasn't consistent, but I did throw much farther than normal today. Now if I can just practice it enough for muscle memory.... and get more accurate. Thanks for the help.

I actually just realized today that I had been "strong arming" all of my drives. By using a much slower x-step, a longer reach back, and a better twisting motion.... I actually threw the Leopard a personal flatland best of 240 (80 paces) :clap:. Granted I wasn't consistent, but I did throw much farther than normal today. Now if I can just practice it enough for muscle memory.... and get more accurate. Thanks for the help.

There ya go...you're on your way! Improvement feels awesome. And then there are those days where everything goes to hell. lol. Keep using your mids, too, and you'll probably be at that 240 distance or further before too long. One rule of thumb, generally, is that if a slower speed disc is going about the same distance as something faster, then the faster one is probably still above your power level for the time being. A lot of new throwers are confused when they discover that they're throwing a Shark, Stingray, Leopard, Teebird, Valkyrie, Wraith, and Katana all within about 10' of each other. It's all about form, not the disc...until you have good form, that is. :)

Ok.... So I'm a Newb (there I said it) and I normally drive with a Leopard DX. I really like it and I am starting to throw it consistently 200 to 215. I also have an XL elite x that I am throwing about 180. I really like the stiffness of the Leopard DX.

So my question is.... when should I switch up to a new disc.... and what should it be?

What weights are you throwing ?

The leopard is a great disc. Go get one in pro champ or Star plastic so it doesn't get too beat up and become to flippy.

If you want more speed and easy turnover try a sidewinder.

What weights are you throwing ?

The leopard is a great disc. Go get one in pro champ or Star plastic so it doesn't get too beat up and become to flippy.

If you want more speed and easy turnover try a sidewinder.

I picked up a champion Teebird yesterday...... didn't realize it was 170 til it was too late. The leo is 150 I'm pretty sure.

I got the champ Teebird because it is a speed 7 and still had glide. I got it out to 250 yesterday.... so I'm going to keep working on that one.

I picked up a champion Teebird yesterday...... didn't realize it was 170 til it was too late. The leo is 150 I'm pretty sure.

I got the champ Teebird because it is a speed 7 and still had glide. I got it out to 250 yesterday.... so I'm going to keep working on that one.

A 170 teebird is still extremely workable for your skill level. It will prob be a good hyzer and wind driver for you until you 1) build up your distance and 2) beat it in to straight.

You can no longer directly look up the ssa. You can, however, go to the results of recent tournaments at that course and look for players who ended up with round ratings right around 1000, their scores will be very close to the ssa. Keep in mind that different tee/pin combinations or additional temporary holes will change the ssa so you need to know what layout was played to be able to compare your own scores.

You can no longer directly look up the ssa. You can, however, go to the results of recent tournaments at that course and look for players who ended up with round ratings right around 1000, their scores will be very close to the ssa. Keep in mind that different tee/pin combinations or additional temporary holes will change the ssa so you need to know what layout was played to be able to compare your own scores.

So even if you're a PDGA member, you can't look this up anymore? Dang. Thank you for the info, though. So a 1000-rated round is supposed to be the SSA, more or less?

If the round is exactly 1000 rated, that's the SSA. If you have rounds like 997 or 1002, you're still pretty darn close. When the PDGA went through the website upgrade they decided not to bring back the option to look up sea by course.

I played in a tournament today, and the disc I got in my players pack was a Gateway E Element. I was curious as to 1) what discraft midrange would this be comparable to? and 2) what kind of plastic would it be comparble to?
I have a Buzzz ESP and a Meteor ESP and also a Wasp Elite Z. It is very soft, maybe close to FLX plastic? Anyway I knew someone on here would have some advice. Thanks

So if I read the info correctly it is close to a Buzzz SS? It also says it wears slowly. My guess would be close to ESP plastic. I guess I will have to throw it and see what it does. I doubt it will replace my Buzzz tho, LOL.

Latest posts