• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Im not a noob but last year was the first time i really got into the tournament scene. What are the points you get from tournaments and what are they used for?

You get so many points for each person you beat in a sanctioned tournament. The points determine if you get an invite to worlds.

Dont tag me bro!

I just got tagged in a post on facebook advertising for a tournament. How would the bigger names react if I tagged them?
You have to be 'friends' with these Pros to tag them. In that case I dont think they would mind. What's the worst that could happen? They un-tag themselves? No biggie!

Great thread, went through all 368 pages and learned a ton!!!!!! Started playing a month ago and thought I needed fast discs to get distance......Took all double digit speed discs out of play and am throwing better every round. Holed one from 250 out the other day and hit the basket just missing an ace the next day on a 248' hole both with a beat in DX Valk Thank you all for the great advice and I am sure I will have a ton of questions in the near future!!!!!!
This website is awesome!:clap:

Why are people so obsessed with " professional disc golfers"

They do not deserve all the high praise with the attitudes they
Mostly have which is negative.

I've always wondered what "Pin High" meant. I've heard this in various youtube videos, DGMonthly and the such.

I assume that the distance of the throw was correct but the accuracy was off? So a line perpendicular to the direct path from tee or marker to basket, any shot that lands near that line.

Is that right?

I've always wondered what "Pin High" meant. I've heard this in various youtube videos, DGMonthly and the such.

I assume that the distance of the throw was correct but the accuracy was off? So a line perpendicular to the direct path from tee or marker to basket, any shot that lands near that line.

Is that right?

Yep, from ball golf. The flag is also known as "the pin."

I don't remember this being asked in the first 370 pages but I may be mistaken.....I have gotten comfortable with a few of my discs for certain shots, are they going to act completely different when the temperature goes up? I have been playing in 50-65 degree weather for the month that I have been playing, and as a lot of you know that are from the NC coast the temps will go up quick. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is the way it works. As temps increase, a disk gets softer and more flexible making it a tad bit more understable. So you might see a bit of increase in distance on some shots. From 50-65 degrees to a realistic temp of 100 degrees won't make all that much of difference. I've played since July and have played in over a 100 degree swing and it's very noticeable when I have to use something understable in the winter to have good throws.

As temps increase, a disk gets softer and more flexible making it a tad bit more understable. So you might see a bit of increase in distance on some shots [...] it's very noticeable when I have to use something understable in the winter to have good throws.

I suspect that has more to do with footing and follow through than anything else.

Last edited:
I suspect that has more to do with footing and follow through than anything else.

It may have something to do with the air being denser during the summer with it being more humid, which would cause more resistance as the disc flies and cause it to be more understable. I could be making that up though. Not sure.

Can someone explain simply what constitutes a 1000 rated round?

It's the average round a 1000 rated player will throw on a given set of tees.

The SSA (scratch scoring average) is calculated by comparing how the players did versus their actual PDGA rating. Using these two values, we can deduce what score a 1000 rated player would have, and that becomes the SSA. Once you have an SSA (which is basically the score for a 1000 rated round), all players (including those who don't have PDGA ratings) can have their round rating calculated.

For example my home course white tees have an SSA of 48-51, depending on conditions. If the SSA that day is 49 and I shoot a 49, I just shot a 1000 rated round. For every stroke off of SSA I am, approximately (depends on course / conditions) 10pts are deducted.

The SSA (scratch scoring average) is calculated by comparing how the players did versus their actual PDGA rating. Using these two values, we can deduce what score a 1000 rated player would have, and that becomes the SSA. Once you have an SSA (which is basically the score for a 1000 rated round), all players (including those who don't have PDGA ratings) can have their round rating calculated.

For example my home course white tees have an SSA of 48-51, depending on conditions. If the SSA that day is 49 and I shoot a 49, I just shot a 1000 rated round. For every stroke off of SSA I am, approximately (depends on course / conditions) 10pts are deducted.

:clap::clap::thmbup::clap::clap:

So what constitutes a 1000 rated player? :D

Latest posts