• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

So what constitutes a 1000 rated player? :D

It's a feedback loop - Your PDGA rating helps determine the SSA for the tees that day, and the SSA for the tees that day determines your round rating which then determines your PDGA player rating.

It's a feedback loop - Your PDGA rating helps determine the SSA for the tees that day, and the SSA for the tees that day determines your round rating which then determines your PDGA player rating.

I understand that. I'm just pointing out that your answer doesn't really answer the original question.

It's like answering "What's an apple?" with "the fruit that grows on an apple tree."

I understand that. I'm just pointing out that your answer doesn't really answer the original question.

It's like answering "What's an apple?" with "the fruit that grows on an apple tree."

Then by all means, share with us the 'correct' answer...

It may have something to do with the air being denser during the summer with it being more humid, which would cause more resistance as the disc flies and cause it to be more understable. I could be making that up though. Not sure.

The only thing is, cold air is more dense than hot air. That's why hot air rises. In my experience, there are just too many variables to try and really tell how the different temperatures affect a disc's flight. You've got bad footing, muscle stiffness, reduced grip, heavier clothing, stiffer discs, and denser air. All of these are symptoms of cold weather play, and it can be tough to tell which variables are having an effect on each throw.

If I had to break it down, I'd say bad footing, muscle stiffness, reduced grip, and heavier clothing all cause the disc to fly more overstable. I would think that denser air would make the disc fly more understable. As far as the stiffer discs go, I don't really know. It definitely makes them more prone to damage when they hit something, but shouldn't have a huge effect while in flight. So you'll hear all kinds of people making all kinds of claims. I say don't worry about it and enjoy the good weather when it comes (starting to get here where I live).

The only thing is, cold air is more dense than hot air. That's why hot air rises. In my experience, there are just too many variables to try and really tell how the different temperatures affect a disc's flight. You've got bad footing, muscle stiffness, reduced grip, heavier clothing, stiffer discs, and denser air. All of these are symptoms of cold weather play, and it can be tough to tell which variables are having an effect on each throw.

If I had to break it down, I'd say bad footing, muscle stiffness, reduced grip, and heavier clothing all cause the disc to fly more overstable. I would think that denser air would make the disc fly more understable. As far as the stiffer discs go, I don't really know. It definitely makes them more prone to damage when they hit something, but shouldn't have a huge effect while in flight. So you'll hear all kinds of people making all kinds of claims. I say don't worry about it and enjoy the good weather when it comes (starting to get here where I live).

I thought so too, but it is generally drier in the winter compared to summer which I would think would cause the air to be more dense. All in all though, I agree with bad footing, muscle stiffness, etc...

I just realized: Current data says Brother Dave:

Posted: 10,000 times

Being April 1st, 2013, or 4.25 years since he joined:

(10,000 posts/4.25 years) (1 year/365 Days) (1 Day / 16 waking hours) =

0.40 post per waking hour.

This means that over the last 4 years and 3 months, Brother Dave on average has posted once every 2 hours he has been awake!

I salute you Big Brother.

Just think how many posts I'd have if my computer was newer.

super-computer-nerd.jpeg

I thought so too, but it is generally drier in the winter compared to summer which I would think would cause the air to be more dense. All in all though, I agree with bad footing, muscle stiffness, etc...

That is an interesting point. So the question is, which has a bigger effect on air density, temperature or humidity?

That is an interesting point. So the question is, which has a bigger effect on air density, temperature or humidity?

Check out the common misconceptions thread. There is a very long and detailed discussion about the effects of temperature and humidity on air density.

I just realized: Current data says Brother Dave:

Posted: 10,000 times

Being April 1st, 2013, or 4.25 years since he joined:

(10,000 posts/4.25 years) (1 year/365 Days) (1 Day / 16 waking hours) =

0.40 post per waking hour.

This means that over the last 4 years and 3 months, Brother Dave on average has posted once every 2 hours he has been awake!

I salute you Big Brother.

Wow! but...

When does Brother Dave actually play disc golf if he spends this much time dispensing his valuable knowledge to the DG community? (not trying to be dick just curious?)

Check out the common misconceptions thread. There is a very long and detailed discussion about the effects of temperature and humidity on air density.

So, from my continued searching, it seems humidity has a very miniscule effect on air density and a disc's flight. Altitude seems to have the biggest effect, with temperature being second.

So, from my continued searching, it seems humidity has a very miniscule effect on air density and a disc's flight. Altitude seems to have the biggest effect, with temperature being second.

Humidity is going to have effect on your grip though, which can have a big impact on flight. It's tough to separate out effects directly on the disc from the conditions and effects that act indirectly by changing the way we throw.

Idk about this point but I'd rather play in the summer than winter. The discs feel way better your not restricted by a bunch of clothing. Your muscles are super tight for the first half of the round. Sweating is good for you too. So IMO its way better. On the physics of air density I think that's thinking too much about the game.

Wow! but...

When does Brother Dave actually play disc golf if he spends this much time dispensing his valuable knowledge to the DG community? (not trying to be dick just curious?)

I played 3 rounds the past two days. :/

Most of my damage was done during the lengthy bouts of dealing with injury (6 mos for tendinitis; 6 mos for broken foot) where I couldn't play. That and this place is my facebook, I really do not use the internet for much more than this, sports news, and random non-fun crap. I'm just really efficient in my DGCR posting, I promise you I'm not on here all day. ;)

I played 3 rounds the past two days. :/

Most of my damage was done during the lengthy bouts of dealing with injury (6 mos for tendinitis; 6 mos for broken foot) where I couldn't play. That and this place is my facebook, I really do not use the internet for much more than this, sports news, and random non-fun crap. I'm just really efficient in my DGCR posting, I promise you I'm not on here all day. ;)

I just thought the calculation was crazy to think about. I feel like i spend way too much time reading posts on this site and not enough playing but that's because i have to do something during work to bide my time til i can get outta here and go throw. :thmbup:

n00b Question:

For small tourneys, I always see $10 buy-in, $3 ace pot, and a $6 payout... I understand buy-in and ace pot, but what is the payout? it sounds like the winner gets $6, but that doesn't make any sense.

Thanks.

Idk about this point but I'd rather play in the summer than winter. The discs feel way better your not restricted by a bunch of clothing. Your muscles are super tight for the first half of the round. Sweating is good for you too. So IMO its way better. On the physics of air density I think that's thinking too much about the game.

I totally agree. It just feels so much more comfortable to me. And no matter how hot it is, I just keep hydrated with water or gatorade and it's all good.